Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Grams of protein after workout

brokenupinside

Don Juan
Reaction score
How much protein is enough after an average workout(i'm not trying to be a bodybuilder).Sometimes I don't feel like a shake or a meal,how about a can of tuna with 16gr of prot?
thanks

synergy1

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Something like 15 g of protein ingested before or up to under 2 hours after a set. Depending on the load, what you said seems to work fine.

Quiksilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It's a debatable topic so you'll see varying numbers.

A protein shake with at least a couple scoops post-workout is good. Tuna / chicken / lean meats / egg whites are good too.

The main thing is that you get in a serving of carbs/protein after a workout, beyond that, how/what you get that from isn't really too important.

25-75g of protein post-workout with an equal amount of carbs, is a good place to start.

Here's some more info

Colossus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
For a 'casual' lifter 15-30 grams no later than 1 hour post workout should be fine. I usually have a 40-50 gram shake, but I'm kind of a meathead, lol.

mrRuckus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
0 is "enough."

Recommended, no, but it's not a wasted workout taking none.

CaptainJ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I used to do post workout shakes, but now I find just having a pint of milk is easier, cheaper and just as effective.

domingo_mandingo

Reaction score
30g of fast digesting protein (ie. whey isolate) within 30mins of working out should suffice. Make sure you get 50g + of carbs as well, preferably fast digesting (white bread, white rice, white potatoes, sugar), as these will replenish energy stores in your muscles and cause a surge in insulin, which aids in pushing protein into your muscles after working out.

ENIGMA16

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
preferably fast digesting (white bread, white rice, white potatoes, sugar), as these will replenish energy stores in your muscles and cause a surge in insulin, which aids in pushing protein into your muscles after working out.
Does fruit work?

blinkwatt101

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Just make sure the majority of your post workout meal is from meat or dairy,don't let supplements carry you.

When I'm crammed for time after the gym I pound a banana and 3 cups of fat free milk.

Normally it's two big ass toasted wheat bread with tuna and olive oil.

ENIGMA16

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Normally it's two big ass toasted wheat bread with tuna and olive oil.
I thought you were supposed to have simple carbs after a workout.

blinkwatt101

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
JLay87 said:
I thought you were supposed to have simple carbs after a workout.
Who knows man. I just keep it very simple with my diet. Eat real food,eat as much as I want of it and it pays off. I eat several handfuls of fruit before the gym though if that matters.

I'm not all into making eating complicated or anything like that.

Blank

Don Juan
Reaction score
@ Colossus - You seem like one of the very few who knows what they're doing on this section of the forum. You consistently provide good advice.

@ MrRuckus - Terrible advice. Cortisol starts to be released in your body as quickly as 30 minutes after you start working out. Not replenishing your body with the proper macro nutrients allows the Cortisol to begin to break down your muscle tissue for energy. Muscle is always the first thing to go when the body is depleted of nutrients. It's bulky and consumes a lot of calories, bad for survivability according to your body. A post workout meal is a must.

@ Jmiah - I eat a banana or an apple minutes before my first set for extra energy during my workout.

@CaptainJ - a pint of milk post workout is not good. For one, it only has about 16 grams of protein and 24 grams of carbs. Casein, the protein found in milk, gels when it hits your stomach. This causes it to digest very slowly which is the opposite of what you want post workout.

@ OP - I don't know what your goals are but the best source of protein after an intense bout with the weights is a couple scoops of whey protein in water. Your muscles are depleted post workout and this is the fastest digesting source of protein, aside from maybe raw egg whites which are gross. My post workout protein shakes have 44g of protein in them.

You should also get some sugary liquid carbs in you too for post workout. I use grape juice for this. 8oz - 40g carbs.

dbot

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
For a post workout meal, carbohydrates are more of an immediate need than protein, although consuming 15-20g of protein plus 75-80g of carbs is optimal.

Cure

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Espi said:
MORE...it should be the bulker's mantra...MORE calories...MORE protein...MORE carbs...
This.

Eat as much as you can physically fit in you.

Cure.

mrRuckus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Blank said:
@ MrRuckus - Terrible advice. Cortisol starts to be released in your body as quickly as 30 minutes after you start working out. Not replenishing your body with the proper macro nutrients allows the Cortisol to begin to break down your muscle tissue for energy. Muscle is always the first thing to go when the body is depleted of nutrients. It's bulky and consumes a lot of calories, bad for survivability according to your body. A post workout meal is a must.

I'm the only one who actually answered the question as asked instead of spewing out typical regurgitated crap based on similar questions... and it wasn't even advice.

0 is enough. I even said "recommended,no."

And don't start with the biology babble or we'll get into arguments that it's better to spike insulin PRE-workout to deal with cortisol. Or that pre-workout protein shakes are more important period.

And people got by just fine for decades without whey shakes and planned insulin spikes, so how much is needed immediately post workout? Zero. Better to have some? Sure. "Enough" like the question asked? Zero.

Go be young and illiterate elsewhere.

"Muscle is always the first thing to go when the body is depleted of nutrients."

Not even true and the idea of "first thing" is laughable as if your body only uses one thing at a time. I'm pretty sure that if i didn't eat at all this weekend i'd lose more fat than muscle, by the way. Your body doesn't shed muscle just like that. We'd have withered away to nothing long ago if that were the case. The fact that you said "always" makes this statement even stupider.

You guys are so completely anal about your little rules.

If I eat 5000 calories a day with a bunch of protein that little shake postworkout isn't a big issue, especially since I actually read the question and he specifically said he isn't a bodybuilder so let's stop treating everyone who lifts as if they're 260 lbs of pure muscle and they're treating to squeeze out every ounce.

Why did you even bring up "depleted." Do you not eat food the rest of the day before and after your workout? At what point does someone become depleted of nutrients? That steak i had for breakfast is still digesting when i'm working out several hours later. I'm not "depleted."

@CaptainJ - a pint of milk post workout is not good. For one, it only has about 16 grams of protein and 24 grams of carbs. Casein, the protein found in milk, gels when it hits your stomach. This causes it to digest very slowly which is the opposite of what you want post workout.
Lol. You should actually look up some stuff about the arguments and evidence that there's really no difference.

I just think it's so funny when i see everyone stating this stuff as if it's absolute fact when even the upper echelon nutrition nerds are constantly debating it to the point that i don't even read it anymore and just loosely follow things to how i feel like or see fit for that day. I haven't noticed a lick of difference as long as i eat enough, which is the same thing the OP will see as he's not some huge bodybuilder where it might matter SooOoOOOooooooOoo much. He's probably like 150 lbs where doing any lifting and eating decently will do him just fine, ya anals.