Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Gold Medals vs. Total Medals

War Against Betaism

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Most websites use total gold medals as the standard but also put a lot of emphasis on total medals as well.

Gaucho

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Jitterbug said:
American media used to go by the gold medal count (the official way) when the US was leading in that front. In fact, that's what they did in Athens 2004.

This time they gotta spin it a bit coz China is kicking their arses.
No question.

Exactly what their propeganda machine is doing.

China sunk a STACK of money into their athletes, no wonder they are doing well! US had better start doing the same (just tell the helicopter man Ben to drop some more over the sporting institutions there. I'm sure he can just print some more). ha ha.

Latinoman

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It does not matter how it is called by the U.S. media or NBC or ABC or even by us.

The ONLY list that matters is the IOC (International Olympic Committee) list. They are responsible for the Olympics since the late 1800s.

http://www.olympic.org/uk/games/index_uk.asp

Click on the appropriate Olympic Game (e.g. 1976 Montreal) and then click on the "Medals by Country" link (located on the bottom right corner under the "Olympic Results" block).

The ranking is based on who has the most golds (the silver/bronze/total medals are only used for tie-breaker purposes).

Using the 1976 Montreal Olympics as an example...you will see that Trinidad and Tobago ranked higher than Canada. Trinidad and Togabo only won ONE medal (gold). While Canada won a total of ELEVEN medals (5 silver and 6 bronze).

Why did Trinidad and Tobago ranked above Canada? Because Canada did NOT win any competition...while Trinidad won at least one.

Squiggly Sponge

Don Juan
Reaction score
DarthAngel707 said:
HAHAHA CHINA has the most gold medals so far!!

Great news because I'm Chinese-American so either way, it's a win-win.

Go China and US!

But really, how is China getting so much golds? In gymnastics, ping-pong, diving, badminton and then what else??? I know they're not good at basketball, volleyball, or those other big sports but just graceful sports and sports involving small balls.
Pardon my immaturity, but...

:crackup:

It's all about the gold medals in terms of the country ranking for me. Individually, silver and bronze count since they get to be on the podium too, I guess. Also I'm not too pleased with all the negative press China has been getting over here, probably because we Brits know we'll have a tough act to follow. I wonder if we'll even top 3 it as the hosts for 2012?