Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Gold Medals vs. Total Medals

ROOKIE OF THE YEAR

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
In the Olympics, which rewards is the most important for a country? Winning the most gold medals in all the events, or most total medal counts?

War Against Betaism

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I think having the most gold models is an accomplishment. It proves that you're the best at more things, though China's dominance in the Olympics is very surprising.

azanon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I like the system an olympic game I used to have long ago for my old Commodore 64 used; 5 points for gold, 3 for silver, 1 for bronze. Add the points up for a country. I think that's about right.

Last I checked, by this standard, China is winning.

Gatorade

Don Juan
Reaction score
I always thought Gold medals was what put a country in the lead, but Yahoo has been using Totals this time.

DarthAngel707

Don Juan
Reaction score
HAHAHA CHINA has the most gold medals so far!!

Great news because I'm Chinese-American so either way, it's a win-win.

Go China and US!

But really, how is China getting so much golds? In gymnastics, ping-pong, diving, badminton and then what else??? I know they're not good at basketball, volleyball, or those other big sports but just graceful sports and sports involving small balls.

Maxtro

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
War Against Betaism said:
I think having the most gold models is an accomplishment. It proves that you're the best at more things, though China's dominance in the Olympics is very surprising.
Why would it be surprising? There are two reasons why they are dominating.

1. They are the largest nation in the world and hence, have the most people on their team. Their Olympic team basically covers every event from archery to underwater basket weaving :p

2. Winning medals and showing that China is #1 is VERY important to the Chinese. So important that they have huge pre-Olympic training facilities for their children. Think of it as a hopeful Olympic medal farm. I saw a news special were they showed hundreds of children as young as 5 years old training for future Olympics.

America still has the most golds :up:

War Against Betaism

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah but I don't recall China being this dominant, usually it was United States across the boards in the summer games. I didn't think that being the host country would have gotten them this motivated, but Chinese are very prideful people.

ChrizZ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
War Against Betaism said:
Yeah but I don't recall China being this dominant, usually it was United States across the boards in the summer games. I didn't think that being the host country would have gotten them this motivated, but Chinese are very prideful people.
You have to understand that they specifically bred most of their athletes for this particular event.

Most Chinese athletes trained 15+ years everyday just for the China Olympics.

They were isolated at a young age and didn´t do anything but working on their skills.

The government pretty much robbed them of their lives. Just look at their faces. They are like fvcking zombies. They don´t show any emotions at all...

decades

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
None of it will be important in another week. the Olympics are a great diversion for a couple of weeks but it will soon be forgotten. when you think about it, these medal ceremonies are pretty silly. Well except for when Tommie Smith and John Carlos got theirs.

Desert Fox

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
ChrizZ said:
The government pretty much robbed them of their lives. Just look at their faces. They are like fvcking zombies. They don´t show any emotions at all...
Wrong again. For many rural Chinese, gymnastics or the Olympics are the only way for them to get a better life for their family.

Notice that the competitors are mostly from more rural provinces of China. You rarely see a guy from Beijing competing, if any.

And yes, they show emotion when they win, which is very often :D. I dunno what Olympics you've been watching ...

Maxtro

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Desert Fox said:
Are you blind or dumb? Or all of the above?
Neither, but it's certain you are a complete ass.

I haven't been watching the Olympics all that much and obviously the medal counts are constantly changing. In the last news report I watched America had the most golds.

DJDamage

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
DarthAngel707 said:
But really, how is China getting so much golds? In gymnastics, ping-pong, diving, badminton and then what else??? I know they're not good at basketball, volleyball, or those other big sports but just graceful sports and sports involving small balls.
I have a few conspiracy theories, so please don't take at as an insult.

More then half of all the gold medals that China won were done in sports where the individuals do not compete head to head but rather through a point system by a panal of judges. You don't think China bought a few of those judges by practically rolling the red carpet and treating each one of them like kings.... there will be a little bias as a result of coarse and some might have been actually been directly payed under the table.

Other reasons include, China taking very young children from the age 4 and up and have them train every day in top notch facilities like little soldiers. Those kids do not have a choice in the matter and must be trained all the time. By the time teens from other countries take great interest in committing to a certain sport they are already behind those chinese kids in talent level. Before the Soviet Union broke up they did the same thing, which also help to explain why they were so dominating back then compare to today.

And lastley, I believe the Chinese Athletes are juiced with an undetectable form of steroids made by China's fine top notch scientists.

Communist nations always do everything in their power to make their athletes succeed the most whether its by legal or illegal means. In 1988 check out who the top 2 nations were... I mean the Soviet Union was one thing but EAST GERMANY second place??? you got to be kidding me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1988_Summer_Olympics_medal_table

azanon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
DarthAngel707 said:
Maybe it has something to do with the fact that there's over a billion of them and about 300+ million or so of us. ;)

Latinoman

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
In reallity...having the most Gold Medals is the true standards of who is the most accomplished. In fact, every international organization (including the Olympic Committee) consider the number of Gold Medals as the real accomplishment.

Only U.S. like literature (such as Yahoo) considers total of medals (which in reallity is bull crap).

Gold Medal = WINNING.

Who WON the most events? Simple...whoever won the most GOLD medals.

Silver, Bronze, fourth, fifth...all are the same to me: NON-winners.

Note: Most of the U.S. Gold Medals were won in Swimming...which is a b.s. competition, because they have 17 competitions for men and 17 for women...and they are literally the same competion. In fact, an argument could be made to reducing the swimming competitions to 5 or 6 per sex.

Desert Fox

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Maxtro said:
Neither, but it's certain you are a complete ass.

I haven't been watching the Olympics all that much and obviously the medal counts are constantly changing. In the last news report I watched America had the most golds.
Well I have been watching and the only time the USA has been leading in gold was like 1 time on the first day. with 2 to 1. all downhill from there

Desert Fox

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Latinoman said:
In reallity...having the most Gold Medals is the true standards of who is the most accomplished. In fact, every international organization (including the Olympic Committee) consider the number of Gold Medals as the real accomplishment.

Only U.S. like literature (such as Yahoo) considers total of medals (which in reallity is bull crap).

Gold Medal = WINNING.

Note: Most of the U.S. Gold Medals were won in Swimming...which is a b.s. competition, because they have 17 competitions for men and 17 for women...and they are literally the same competion. In fact, an argument could be made to reducing the swimming competitions to 5 or 6 per sex.
100% correct.

How can these fools equate a bronze with a gold?

Not to mention the Games originally only had gold, no silver, no bronze until the Brits brought that in.

In Motion

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Latinoman said:

Gold Medal = WINNING.

Word. I dont think anythink else really needs to be said. Gold > ALL. It would be retarded to think that USA has a better score. The only reason why they have so many silver and bronzes is because they are taking those medals in the sports where China is winning gold! So is it fair that a country who has 30 silver and 30 bronze (just example numbers) should beat a country with 30 gold medals? No, because the gold medal winners ARE the winners. 1 gold = 1 point. Silver and bronze are useful to determine who wins if 2 countries have the same amount of gold medals.

Jitterbug

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
American media used to go by the gold medal count (the official way) when the US was leading in that front. In fact, that's what they did in Athens 2004.

This time they gotta spin it a bit coz China is kicking their arses.