Going to the gym and not giving up

bombtrack2007

Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm writing a thread based on my own experience of going to the gym in hopes it inspires any aspiring don juans or guys trying to improve themselves mentally or physically. This isn't meant to be a weight lifting plan, but rather inspiration to get off the couch and go. For different exercises, reps, sets, and things to do to vary your workouts, I would do some research or do what works for you because everyone is different. But there is one universal thing you must do which I will get into, which is consistency.

From my perspective, I've found the gym to be the ultimate stress reliever. It's a great way to keep your mind occupied, to make you feel desirable, and it makes you feel happy, healthy, and great in general. I had been struggling over the years to go to the gym on a consistent, regular basis. In the past, I would work out for a few months, slowly lose interest and get lazy, and then 6 months would go by where I did not lift a single weight. Then, I'd get into it again. Maybe even a little longer that time. But eventually, I'd get lazy and I'd stop doing it. It wasn't until last summer I started going to the gym, got serious about it, developed consistency, and I have been going ever week ever since. I realized that in the past, I got lazy and became discouraged because I wasn't getting the results I wanted NOW. I didn't have a realistic mindset. Every summer I would be at the beach, wishing I had stuck with it because if I did, I'd be revealing a nice looking body when I took my shirt off. Working out is a life long commitment. If you start working out today, do not give up because you don't reach you're main goal in six months. It takes time. Three years from now, you're going to be in a situation, like going to the beach for example, where you're going to have to take your shirt off, and you're going to wish you had stuck with it. So you might as well keep going! Even if you do the bare minimum, if you keep doing it week after week, eventually you're going to get results. It just might take a little longer. Of course you have to eat right too, but you're diet doesn't have to be PERFECT. Moderation in junk food is important. You don't have to cut it out completely, just don't eat it every day. I've been going to the gym consistently for a year now (as well as adhering to a DECENT diet, not perfect) and I've been in the best shape I have ever been in all of my life. I can't tell you how many people have told me "Dude, you look bigger. Are you lifting?"

Do NOT give up! CONSISTENCY is key! Just keep going! Eventually you will ENJOY going to the gym.

Do not let other people discourage you from going! I used to be scared to death of going to the gym and working out in front of people like hot girls and juice heads. I got over that by going with my brother my first time. I realized it wasn't so bad and I was able to go by myself from then on. Also, before I went in there, I would sit in my car and I'd say to myself, "**** all those people. I pay for this membership, so I belong there. I'm going to get my moneys worth. I have work to do and an agenda to fulfill and I'm not going to let anyone keep me from reaching my goal."

Now I can hop on a treadmill next to a gorgeous girl and not feel self-conscious. **** her. This hour at the gym is about ME and what I need to do. Not about whether or not she thinks I look like a goofball running on a treadmill.

I can do my 50 pound dumb bell presses next to some juice-head D-bag who is lifting 100 pound dumb bells and not feel intimidated. So what if he can lift more than me? I'll be able to lift that much eventually too! Besides, people CAN'T judge you based on how much weight you can lift. Some exercises REQUIRE you to use lighter weight. They don't know what you're routine is or what you're trying to do, so let them think what they want! **** it!

In conclusion, going to the gym is one of the best and most rewarding things you can do for yourself. However, if you want results, you have to be consistent. Keep going. Do not give up. You'll regret it if you do. So avoid that regret and just keep going. You will be happy you did. Trust me.

U

user43770

Espi said:
Yes--Consistency is king.

Unlike you, I STILL loathe going to the gym sometimes, even after 6 years! But, I keep working out because the results are worth the sweat and pain and discomfort.

I LIKE seeing the gym swell in numbers in January; I also like seeing the numbers dwindle a month later. it reminds me how exceptional I am. I choose to stick to it, while the vast majority of people don't.

The truth is, while working out sucks, the results are well worth it. It's not for everybody, though. Few people will stick to it.

Right on. Not many people have the willpower to keep grinding it out week after week. What's funny to me, though, is how the people that can't stick with it try to criticize those that can. Not to your face, of course...

HalfAddict

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the pl
It helps to do workouts you enjoy.. I cannot stand going to the gym and lifting weights, it is boring to put it bluntly.. However I LOVE going to my boxing gym and sweating my ass off. I am excited to go every day and every day I walk out soaked in sweat and worn the hell out.