Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Going to bars alone

Maeisgood

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Is it weird to go to bars alone? If not, how do I go out alone without looking/feeling creepy/hovery/sketchy?

I’ve read conflicting opinions on here, Reddit- seduction, and elsewhere on the topic of going out alone. I don’t know if going out alone is considered creepy in some cultures or permissible in others? I live in a medium size mid-Atlantic city with a big college and a couple smaller ones. I’ve read online Americans are supposed to be more outgoing and less weirded out by talking to strangers. I’m in my late 20s and I once had around a dozen friends I’d go out with, but gradually over time many have moved away or are in serious relationships. I think the future of looking for women for me will be going out alone or using internet dating.

If you go out alone, and you’re just sitting at the bar sipping and staring off into space, what do you if you don’t immediately find someone to talk to? I feel like approaching women is tough enough with friends around, but alone I feel like I’d have no social value. Since there’s a whole section of this forum for wingmen, I’m guessing most people would feel strange about going out alone too.

Making matters a little worse for me is the fact that I don’t live within walking distance of any bars for younger people. I feel like a young “lady’s” perception of risk would be slightly higher getting into a cab with a stranger than walking across a street. If I lived within stumbling distance of the bars I think it’d be much easier to get them to come home with me. If there was a bar right across the street from me then going to it alone wouldn’t feel as weird for some reason. I know this sounds awful, one of my last friends and roommates is good at drinking and driving, but I don’t trust my luck with doing it myself. I always watch his speedometer and have never felt in danger <knocks wood>. Buying cab fare would double my expenses of going out but I think it could be the only way. I usually go out once a week and have some sort of successful number close or kiss once every 6 weeks. Many times I go out there aren’t obviously single girls or I’m mentally not in “the zone” enough to attempt it. Sometimes I feel awesome going out and there are girls and I can be entertaining. Of my friends I’m the most likely to approach girls, but if I could get over my fear of going out alone, I’d have even more success.

skinnyguy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It's tough. If I go out with 15 people, I have women approaching ME because of how much social value I have. I don't go out unless I'm with friends

VladPatton

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I've never done and never will. I like to go out with others to have a good time and some decent convo.

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
I admit I have weak club game. I kill it online and have no issues doing fairly well during the daytime, but at night I don't do well. It's not because of my looks or anything. I am in great shape and am decent looking enough. In fact its strange because I always will get hit on 2-3 times a night by women but it always comes out of the blue and I never seem ready for it.

Once, I was standing at the bar with 2 buddies and out of the corner of my eye I noticed a cute blonde siting next to me and her friend giggling while glancing at me. Then out of nowhere, the girl abruptly spins around in her chair, puts her arm around my waist, pulls me in closer to her and tells me she wants to "tell me about a funny thing that happened to her that night". Then she proceeded to tell me a story about how she lost a bet with a guy and was supposed to give him a blowj0b for losing the bet. I just stood there completely stunned and stammered something retarded. She said she was just joking, but it went downhill pretty fast from there...probably lost an easy lay with that one...

Another time, I had already gotten in to the place, but came back outside to stand with my buddy in line since he arrived late. So I was standing there just talking to him and again out of nowhere, a girl just grabs my arm and says "Hey! Don't you remember my friend Amber? She knows you...we met you at the xxxx!" I was kind of caught off guard and handled it poorly.

Another time I was standing at the bar and this smoking hot girl walks by and I just said "Hello" loudly to her and she turned around and smiled and said "Hello" back to me, giving me lingering eye contact as she walked away. My friend and I then went and were standing against the wall talking away from the bar and out of the corner of my eye I noticed the girl and her friend were standing about 10 feet away talking to each other and watching us. As we were talking her friend butted into our conversation with something kinda rude and we just laughed but as I look back I think it was done to get our attention that they were standing there wanting us to come talk to them...

Just stupid sh!t that happens to me when I'm out...I know its going to happen but when it actually happens I'm not prepared for it and always F it up...I need to keep my composure and just handle it better.

Between_The_Lines

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Maeisgood said:
Is it weird to go to bars alone? If not, how do I go out alone without looking/feeling creepy/hovery/sketchy?

I’ve read conflicting opinions on here, Reddit- seduction, and elsewhere on the topic of going out alone. I don’t know if going out alone is considered creepy in some cultures or permissible in others? I live in a medium size mid-Atlantic city with a big college and a couple smaller ones. I’ve read online Americans are supposed to be more outgoing and less weirded out by talking to strangers. I’m in my late 20s and I once had around a dozen friends I’d go out with, but gradually over time many have moved away or are in serious relationships. I think the future of looking for women for me will be going out alone or using internet dating.

If you go out alone, and you’re just sitting at the bar sipping and staring off into space, what do you if you don’t immediately find someone to talk to? I feel like approaching women is tough enough with friends around, but alone I feel like I’d have no social value. Since there’s a whole section of this forum for wingmen, I’m guessing most people would feel strange about going out alone too.

Making matters a little worse for me is the fact that I don’t live within walking distance of any bars for younger people. I feel like a young “lady’s” perception of risk would be slightly higher getting into a cab with a stranger than walking across a street. If I lived within stumbling distance of the bars I think it’d be much easier to get them to come home with me. If there was a bar right across the street from me then going to it alone wouldn’t feel as weird for some reason. I know this sounds awful, one of my last friends and roommates is good at drinking and driving, but I don’t trust my luck with doing it myself. I always watch his speedometer and have never felt in danger <knocks wood>. Buying cab fare would double my expenses of going out but I think it could be the only way. I usually go out once a week and have some sort of successful number close or kiss once every 6 weeks. Many times I go out there aren’t obviously single girls or I’m mentally not in “the zone” enough to attempt it. Sometimes I feel awesome going out and there are girls and I can be entertaining. Of my friends I’m the most likely to approach girls, but if I could get over my fear of going out alone, I’d have even more success.
Socialize with everyone - EVERYONE. Approach big groups and engage one or two people within that group. If it goes well, you'll probably be introduced to their friends - now you're part of a social circle (at least for the night). Maintain in your mind that everyone is your friend. If anyone asks, tell them that you ditched your friends for whatever reason. You can always step right up with the truth (that you're out alone), but if you initially feel uncomfortable, fake it 'til you make it (ie tell them you separated from your friends until you build enough confidence to be upfront and tell them you're out alone) The key is to maintain the momentum by engaging everyone, but you should take a step back every once in a while to soak in every drop of the perceived awkwardness and realize that the Earth isn't going to open up and swallow you or a giant spotlight isn't going to be cast on you with someone on a PA announcing "ladies and gentlemen....the guy who came here tonight....ALONE!!!"

Desdinova

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I generally go out alone.

You need to find a place that caters to something you like. If you like sports, go somewhere sports oriented. If you like live music, do that. I regularly hit up karaoke joints. If I frequent the place enough, I get to know the regulars and befriend them. Joining a new social circle opens up all kinds of doorways to meet women.

I find that going out with friends ruins my motivation to approach. I feel like I'm tied to them for the night. When I'm out alone, anything is possible because I'm not dragging dead weight with me.

Mike32ct

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Eastern Time Zone where it's always really late
I did it for years. But if you go to a bar alone, get there early enough where you can get a bar stool and sit.

I HATE being the creeper standing behind the seated people and holding my drink lol. It's not wrong to be alone, but standing behind or next to a group feels awkward unless you are talking to them.

The key is to find a venue and a spot (to sit or stand) that feels comfortable for YOU.

Last edited:

Mike32ct

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Eastern Time Zone where it's always really late
Espi said:
I personally think solo sarging builds character. Any knucklehead can enter a bar with an entourage. It doesn't mean he has more "social value" or that he's cooler or more confident. In my mind, most guys go to bars in groups because they lack confidence.

In the rare times I choose to go to a bar, I almost always go it alone. I like small, neighborhood kind of hangouts with live music. I never try to find someone to talk to. I usually just find a good place at the bar where I can watch the band and focus on the music.
I agree with all this.

But I would say that the primary benefit of going alone is flexibility. You can go wherever you want. You can leave early or stay later as you wish.

apprenticedj

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I just recently had my first solo bar run last week so I’m glad this topic came up. I was out having a few happy hour ****tails on a weeknight with a buddy, we parted ways and I was heading home. There was another bar on my way home and I noticed the parking lot was overflowing with cars. I still had the itch so I said screw it.

I went inside, ordered a beer and made eye contact with the first cutie I saw. Made a little joke, got her laughing and we started chatting. She was with the two girlfriends and after a minute I was officially in the crew. We hung out for a few hours and I ended up making out with her and exchanging numbers.

What worked for me: Being nicely dressed and in an already buzzed/happy state. When I arrive in that state I spit hot fire, grade A game and the world is my oyster.

One obstacle that I was prepared for going in is the dreaded question: who are you here with? Call it a self-confidence issue but I really feel like being alone doesn’t bode well for an in-demand man. Most people, myself included, have seen many dudes rolling solo and they’re almost always strange in some way. When she asked I simply said my friend was outside fighting with his girlfriend so he bounced. Total lie but solo gaming on a weeknight seems kinda strange to me.

I doubt I’ll make a habit of rolling solo but I felt great that I did it and had success. You owe to yourself to give it a try, if for no reason but to test your skills. You might just surprise yourself.

JohnChops

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
No more keyboard jockeying . Action is the place.
Mike32ct said:
I agree with all this.

But I would say that the primary benefit of going alone is flexibility. You can go wherever you want. You can leave early or stay later as you wish.

Indeed. I like going to places, meeting up with people, then leaving to go somewhere else. No strings attached, its great.

Wish there were places around here with live music, I'd go every weekend!

_sideways_

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Where u from mate? I'll have a beer with. ..

no biggie. Think if the apocalypse were to happen that night that no one in the bar would be ur friend?

we are all the same inside...whats the big deal?
you showed up to kindergarten by yourself and that went fine.

no one can make ur life great...except for ur mind. U want a positive solo bar night? Guess who's in charge of that?...how old r u n e ways?