Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Going for new look!: Growing out my hair long...

Ken785

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Ive had the short hair look almost all my life. My current look is almost like a buzz cut look. I look good with it but am really bored of it. Ive had the same spiky look for the last 7 years now and i want to change it.

I want to grow it out just above shoulder length, like the Tom Cruise look in the movie "The Last Samurai". I think that look is super cool...DJ Dan did it and it looks way better on him then the spikey nerd look hed had before (no offense).

The last time i attempted to grow my hair long was like back in 2003...i greww it out for about 5 months and it started looking like a mess and ugly...i knew it would take another 3 months to start looking good. I didnt wear hats back then to i didnt try to cover it up like i should have so i cut it short again.

This time im doing it for real. The only problem is...im 5'5.

Do you guys think the short hair look would look good on a person of my stature? I know what your going to say, Tom Cruise is only 5'7 right? two inches makes a difference to me when it comes to this hairstyle...

what do you guys think? If i have say a buzz cut now, how long do you think it'll take to grow my hair that long?

BlakeW5

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
So you mean shoulder-length right? I don't really think height would be a limiting factor to that kind of hairstyle. If your build, personality, style, and appearance can pull it off (IMO guys with long hair need a certain look, it's hard to explain) your height shouldn't matter. Really, I guess you need masculine features (strong jaw, etc) to balance out the hair, which is slighty effeminate. I can see it looking equally good on both a short guy and a tall guy.

I actually wish I could grow my hair out. I'm 5'5 and I stick with the buzz cut (which looks SUPERB on me BTW:cool: ). My height isn't what's holding me back though. I have really thick hair and it tends to stack up instead of grow out, so instead of long hair I would end up with an f'ed up looking afro lol (it would be tragic, trust me). If I could grow my hair out I would, so don't be scared to try.

Live-n-learn

Don Juan
Reaction score
I've been rocking the long hairstyle (just touches the trapezius muscle) for the past 2.5 years. I like it on me, as I have a square-ish jaw and my facial structure complements the look. My hair is quite thick as well (every hair stylist I've gone to has commented on its thickness). It's a refreshing change to having short hair for a long time! I only hate when the wind blows your hair in front of your face, but then you can do a dramatic wipe of the hair away from your face like you'd see those male models w/ long hair do, so you can make yourself look cool LOL

orly

Don Juan
Reaction score
I am kinda doing the same thing.

Question: How do you grow your hair long, without making it start looking like a mullet? I'm kinda scared I'm headed that route.

DrD77

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
tell the barber that you want a long shag. that's what i did and my hair is almost to my shoulders. I think I look a lot better with long hair. You have to take good care of it though or else it will end up a mess. Be prepared, your hair will fall out all over the place. It's crazy, but I like it because I am really into metal and it allows me to headbang.

here's how i look:

http://rateyourmusic.com/~bballandtennis89

that's a long shag

Rho

Don Juan
Reaction score
i gots fairly long hair, infact its getting to rambo lengths atm I need to get it shortened.

I like to wear headbands to prevent wind annoying me and to plus it makes me look cool, or so Ive been told.

Sometimes I grow out the beard for that trendy jesus vibe.

Groovy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
BlakeW5 said:
I have really thick hair and it tends to stack up instead of grow out, so instead of long hair I would end up with an f'ed up looking afro lol (it would be tragic, trust me). If I could grow my hair out I would, so don't be scared to try.
Then that makes three of us! That's cool **** dude! My hair is EXACTLY like that!

I have really really thick hair, and I have A LOT of hair. I've also always had it short, and when I let it grow a little bit people would go "Yo oscar cut that **** it's big as hell!" and so I did... But a year ago I made a choice I'm letting it grow no matter what people say... Turns out it's better then ever! :p now I have really that long funky hair look, I think it's the most awsome thing ever! :D Well now it's TOO big and I have to wear a headband, I don't think headbands ever looked better! at least I totally love it. I'm growing it to my shoulders so I can make rastas. :cool: That's after a big change in personality btw... If I told that 2 years ago people would roll in the ground laughing, but now they're like "I'm sure gonna enjoy seeing it!" :up:

And afros are ****ing neat... I have a friend who has a afro and it looks very very good on him, and btw, I have another friend who's hair does't stack up (it's really thin and falls all down and it's long) and we all make fun of him because of that. :p (In a friendly way of course) so I don't really get what you're saying. :D Just so you can know, I know a lot of people, including me, who while having short hair people would say :I wanna grow my hair and have X hairstyle, and people would go: Don't do it! It'll look terrible! and when they let it grow like 2 month already people would go: Yo man I'm gonna love to see you with that hairstyle you're after! And stuff like your hair never looked better tough guy! :D

Ken785 said:
This time im doing it for real. The only problem is...im 5'5.

Do you guys think the short hair look would look good on a person of my stature? I know what your going to say, Tom Cruise is only 5'7 right? two inches makes a difference to me when it comes to this hairstyle...
Do it for real! Heigh wouldn't matter I'm preety sure of it. It would even make you look crazier imo. :D Some of the coolest hair styles I've seen were on short people. If you're blessed with wicked hair don't let your height hold you back, even if people say it's not gonna work, listen to your inner judgment, and if you want to do it, do it to proove them all wrong! :up: 1. They don't have a clue, 2. If they say you can't and you proove you can you did the coolest thing you could ever do! :D

Btw guys if someone tells you: You have long hair... Does that make you a hippie\lady? just reply with: You have a wooden leg... Does that make you a table? haha, I do that and it's been working so far.

Desdinova

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The last time i attempted to grow my hair long was like back in 2003...i greww it out for about 5 months and it started looking like a mess and ugly...
That's the worst part about growing it long. You have to be REALLY patient with it until it starts to actually hang down to your shoulders, and then it starts to look good.

How do you grow your hair long, without making it start looking like a mullet? I'm kinda scared I'm headed that route.
Easy: you don't get it cut like a mullet. Let ALL of it grow long instead of just letting the back grow long. If you actually look at a mullet, the top and sides are all short:

http://www.aolcdn.com/aolr/john-stamos-400-012907.jpg