Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Going back to college

SkillzthatKillz

Don Juan
Reaction score
I worked for my dads company for 5 years thinking I had it made and was going to take the thing over. I didn’t really like the business he was in (construction) but I did it because I thought I would get my own company out of it. Now its going to fold up. Stupid recession! So I’m 25 with very little post high school education. I’m working as a bouncer on the weekends to make some extra cash. I’ve applied and got into a very reputable business school at a great college.

I can graduate in 2-3 years. But I don’t know if I should accept or not. I mean its going to cost some money to go to this school. Its in my home town so I wouldn’t need to live on res. I am going to have to take a part time job to pay for it.

What do you guys think? Is it worth going back?

Demystify

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I know a whole lot of people will says college is useless now, but I think it depends on whether your major is useless or not. I think stuff life engineering, pre-medicine (then onto medical school), nursing, certificate programs, etc are way more employable than other majors. Business is one of those majors that is becoming less and less employable, so I would say no for that particular major.

AAAgent

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
if your going to go to college now, i say try to get a masters degree. one it will take some time which hopefully the economy can pick up, and two you won't have to start from the bottom onc eu graduate. school is a great way to help you get your foot into a stable career, if you want to be an entrepreneur that's a whole nother story. i think entrepreneurs are risk takers that are very cunning. atleast the successful ones. if your business makes it in this economy, it should make it anywhere.

Colossus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
For business I would say no. UG business degrees are basically worthless.

If you're going to get an MBA, maybe; but even these have lost value as of late.

Pre-medicine, engineering, IT, and sometimes teaching are degrees that CAN pay if you follow up on them. That means grad/professional school.

SkillzthatKillz

Don Juan
Reaction score
Demystify, AAAgent, Colossus ill look into another major instead of business just incase. TESOL sounds like a good idea, thank you fuzzx but I don’t think I have the patience to teach.

Its funny how life changes one minute you think your set then BOOM!

Another thing that bothers me is my age, my parents are on my case about being to old to go back to school(I’m 25 don’t forget).

But thanks guys for the feedback.

Demystify

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
SkillzthatKillz said:
Another thing that bothers me is my age, my parents are on my case about being to old to go back to school(I’m 25 don’t forget).
I'm 24 and I'm going back to school for either nursing, engineering or maybe even a personal trainer certificate. The way I see it, if it's a major that will get you a good and highly employable job after you graduate, it shouldn't matter what you're age is.

Fuglydude

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I have a couple of degrees in molecular bio, and nursing. The molecular bio gave me a strong base in biomedical sciences, but was not very employable. I had a job waiting for me as soon as I finished by nursing degree... Its crucial to choose a major that's employable. It should also be in a field that you enjoy.

Regarding getting a masters or PhD, make sure it ensures that you're highly employable afterwards... don't do a PhD in interpretive hindu dancing or masters bohemian folk literature... My plans are to do a masters in anesthesia, as I find the work extremely stimulating and there's a great demand for CRNAs in the US.

Make your choice wisely, and work hard at school. God... I sound like an old man.

FutureSpartan

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Regarding business degress and MBA's

If you want to be employable around the nation, get into a top 15 business school.

If you plan on working in your area, get into the best business program in the region. The better connections the school has with the business community, the more likely they will recruit from there. If you couldnt get into a top 15 school undergrad just do extremely well here and then get your MBA from somewhere like Wharton (top ranked b-school btw)

As far as majors go....

1. Accounting-very marketable, but you have to enjoy it, at least tolerate it to do well in it. Keep your GPA high (3.5+) to get into a Big 4 accounting firm.

2. Finance-marketable, but school reputation is factored in by potential employers. Make sure its a good program and employers are recruiting from the school. The better the school, the higher chance of getting a lucrative I-banking job

3. Marketing- not very marketable on its own, a high GPA is a must. Needs to be a well-known school. It also helps if you can get involved in any kind of relevant marketing clubs or activities in your school. Networking is absolutely necessary.

4. Business management- same as marketing

Most people pick 3 and 4 in my business school because its, truth be told, its the easiest way to get a degree. Its also the best way to render yourself unemployable AND debt-ridden if you don't have connections or go to a reputable school. Pick wisely

SkillzthatKillz

Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks guys all good stuff here its really helping me make a decision.

Its funny I just talked to a dude today he’s 30 lost his job and going back to school. I guess I shouldn’t care what others think that’s pure AFC.

FutureSpartan, yeah that’s very true, I know two people who took business management and can’t get a job in there field to save there lives. I applied for Human resource Management, any opinions on that?

FutureSpartan

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
SkillzthatKillz said:
Thanks guys all good stuff here its really helping me make a decision.

Its funny I just talked to a dude today he’s 30 lost his job and going back to school. I guess I shouldn’t care what others think that’s pure AFC.

FutureSpartan, yeah that’s very true, I know two people who took business management and can’t get a job in there field to save there lives. I applied for Human resource Management, any opinions on that?
Our school does not have a HRM program. To be honest it sounds like another bullsh*t degree, so this is one of those "depends on the school" type degrees. I would call HR departments of some of the big companies in your area and find out the demand and marketability of your major. Research starting salaries. Go to networking events.

Basically, do your due diligence. You're about to spend 4 years and a good chunk of money on schooling, so make sure you get a good ROI on it!

ready123

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If you don't have a Bachelor's and can't think of anything productive toward your future that you can do with your time, then it won't hurt you to go back to school. There's a good chance it will actually open up doors for you. 2-3 years will go by fast and at the end you'll either have a degree or you won't.

And HR Mangers can make a ton of money - I had a friend who was making 120k and got the job with only a business Bachelor's. She's now going for a MS in HRM. But moneywise, she's an exception. Most HR managers have to work the ladder and put in 10-20 years before they hit that salary. She knew how to sell herself. And from what I've seen, that field is dominated by women.

I went back to school for an Engineering Masters in 2006. My Bachelor's was from a trade school that was so crappy they doubled the number of classes I had to take to get my MS. But going back to school totally paid off for me, totally upgraded my lifestyle.

SkillzthatKillz

Don Juan
Reaction score
Ready123:

Thanks for the encouragement and the advice bro.

Cheers

I was wondering if you could elaborate a little more on your friend and her experience, what do you mean exactly in “she new how to sell herself”.

Also you said you took engineering, I also applied and got into that program. Whats your opinion in that area, is it worth perusing? Alot of the advice here tells me it is.

Demystify

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Fuglydude said:
I have a couple of degrees in molecular bio, and nursing. The molecular bio gave me a strong base in biomedical sciences, but was not very employable. I had a job waiting for me as soon as I finished by nursing degree... Its crucial to choose a major that's employable. It should also be in a field that you enjoy.

Regarding getting a masters or PhD, make sure it ensures that you're highly employable afterwards... don't do a PhD in interpretive hindu dancing or masters bohemian folk literature... My plans are to do a masters in anesthesia, as I find the work extremely stimulating and there's a great demand for CRNAs in the US.

Make your choice wisely, and work hard at school. God... I sound like an old man.
How did Nursing work out? I know you had a job waiting for you when you graduated but what were the other pros and cons about it? I'm going back to school and nursing is what I'm leaning to. It would take the least amount of time to complete the degree and there's more guarantee of a job.

ready123

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
SkillzthatKillz said:
Ready123:

Thanks for the encouragement and the advice bro.

Cheers

I was wondering if you could elaborate a little more on your friend and her experience, what do you mean exactly in “she new how to sell herself”.

Also you said you took engineering, I also applied and got into that program. Whats your opinion in that area, is it worth perusing? Alot of the advice here tells me it is.
By selling herself, I mean she was politically savvy. When you work for an organization, you gotta know how to manage your professional relationships and professional reputation. Those that don't, know matter how brilliant they are, will lose out on promotions. Basic office politics.

As far as engineering, the specialization (chemical, electrical, mechanical, civil, etc) matters. The coursework is full of math modeling where you're gonna be sitting down for several hours straight doing calculus and linear algebra on a regular basis. Then depending on available opportunities you may or may not end up in a cyclical industry that lays off regularly (IE Aerospace, semiconductors) or at a company where your free time is monopolized by 12 hour days. It's not a guaranteed road to an easy lifestyle. All that's guaranteed is a 50-60k starting salary (if you can find a job).

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
SkillzthatKillz said:
Another thing that bothers me is my age, my parents are on my case about being to old to go back to school (I’m 25 don’t forget).

lol, yeah you are way over the hill. :rolleyes:

I enrolled in law school when I was 28. One of my classmates was 62. He got better grades than me.