GodsGiftToFatBirds' Training Journal

GodsGiftToFatBirds

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Yo

I've recently been spending time drawing up my goals and targets for the next 4 months, a sort of New Years Resolutions (except not at New Year) for all areas of my life, such as career, women, training etc.

This journal is all about my weight training goals over the next 4 months.

To give a little background, I started training with weights in my uni gym just under a year ago, and made pretty rapid progress up until June, when I finished uni.
Since then, I've been training sparodically back at home in my garden and garage, but a combination of injuries, lack of motivation and maybe not the best training programme have meant i haven't really progressed since June, and perhaps even gone back a little.

This journal's a serious attempt to get my training back on track. My goals by the end of January (4 months time) are:

1. to put on a stone of muscle, getting my weight up to 80kg (it's currently around 72-73kg i think, with very low bodyfat, but i'll know for sure tomorrow when i get my hands on a set of scales)

2. to make a noticeable improvement in physique (i'll take a photo tomorrow so that i can make comparisons).

I'm also very motivated by strength as well as size when i train, but i won't set any performance related goals (e.g. 1 Rep Max for different exercises) until i get back into training and find out my current performance levels.

In terms of schedule, starting tomorrow (Wednesday), I'm using a 3 day split with abs on separate days:

Mon: Legs
Tue: Abs
Wed: Biceps & Back
Thu: Abs
Fri: Chest, Shoulders & Triceps

And finally, in terms of diet and supplements, I'm planning on taking creatine before every session and whey after. I've not taken creatine before so the next week will be the loading phase.
I've also drawn up a basic 4-5 meal a day plan which will allow me to reach my daily targets of 5000 calories and 300g of protein when allowing for other snacks/ meals throughout the day. I've tried a 6 meal a day plan before but found it impossible to keep up on days when i had other things to do besides train and eat! So instead, I've come up with the idea of having 4 core meals a day to get the calories and protein i need to bulk:

Meal 1: 2 Toasted Sandwiches
1 Boiled Egg
1 Pint Milk

Calories = 885
Protein = 48g

Meal 2: 100g Pasta
100g Chicken
1 Egg
1 Pint Milk

Calories = 890
Protein = 65g

Meal 3: 500g Potatoes w/cheese
Half tin baked beans
Yoghurt
1 Pint Milk

Calories = 1390
Protein = 65g

Meal 4: 2 Toasted Sandwiches
1 Pint Milk

Calories = 735
Protein = 36g

Those 4 meals give me 3900 calories and 214 grams of protein by my rough calculations. Adding on a serving of whey and pint of milk (which i always have immediately after workouts) on training days, and a couple extra pints milk on non-training days to redress the balance, i'll have a total of 4335 calories and 266 grams of protein. Given that I'll probably have another meal every day (i'm living at home at the mo and my mum usually cooks me one ;) ) and that i tend to have snacks in the day to, such as fruit etc, i should comfortably reach 5000 calories and 300g protein.

Anyway, I'm starting the training tomorrow so I'll post an update then, any advice or comments on what i'm doing very much appreciated. So long as it not of the 'wtf are you doing it like that for, you fvcking idiot' form cos there's too much of that kind of crap on here. And sorry for making this post such a long one but wtf, it was your choice to read it!

:D

Not Quite There

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
It sounds like your in the same boat as me, about 12 stone want to reach 13?

your workout plan looks good mate, i've been doing soemthing similar, apart from I just throw the Ab work in with the main exercises instead of seperate days, and to be honest am not worrying about it to much until I have reached my required size.

What are you eating in all those toasted sandwiches to get protein?

also, you might want to look at a more meatier evening meal.

GodsGiftToFatBirds

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
It sounds like your in the same boat as me, about 12 stone want to reach 13?
your workout plan looks good mate, i've been doing soemthing similar, apart from I just throw the Ab work in with the main exercises instead of seperate days, and to be honest am not worrying about it to much until I have reached my required size.
What are you eating in all those toasted sandwiches to get protein?
also, you might want to look at a more meatier evening meal.
Yeh pretty similar, I'm 11 1/2 stone (weighed myself today, I am 73kg) aiming for 12 1/2. By the way, why don't you post a thread of your training sessions as well - it would be good motivation to follow your progress since you've got a very similar goal.

In terms of abs, I prefer to have them on a separate today since my weights sessions are pretty long (up to like an hour an a half) and so i'd find it difficult to motivate myself to do a load of abs work afterwards, i prefer to start afresh the next day.

The toasted sandwiches just have cheese in, i've not counted the cheese in the calculations tho cos half of it seems to seep out the back of the machine while its cooking anyway. They're more for convenience really rather than because they're particularly high in preotein.

In terms of meat, yeh maybe true actually, might be worth getting a 2nd portion of chicken in one of the meals.

I finished today's session about 20 mins ago, just taken my whey powder and milk, then writing this before having my next meal (I've had 2 of the 4 so far today, as well as 1 my Nana made me :D yep I'm 21 and still go for tea at my grandparents every week, no comments please!)

Anyway, my sessions listed below:

Biceps & Back

(btw, 'NT' is my note to myself of what i intend to do with the exercise the next time i do the session e.g. increase weights, reps, etc.
And all the exercises below were done with 2 mins rest in between sets)

Deadlift 1*4 87kg
2*4 127kg (my barbell weighs 7kg, hence the unusual weights)
NT: 129.5kg

Concentration Curls 1*6 20kg
3*6 23.5kg EH Sep (Each hand Separately)
NT: 24kg

Bent over barbell row 3*8 52kg
Managed 8,8,6
NT: Repeat

Weighted Close grip pull ups w/underhang grip 3*6 w/12kg (with a 12kg DB between my feet)
Managed 6,6,5

Upright barbell row 3*6 42kg
NT: 44.5kg

Hammer Curls 3*6 22kg EH Alt (Each Hand Alternately)
NT: 3*7

Wide grip pull ups w/overhang grip 3*6
Managed 6,5,4
NT: Repeat or find new exercise - this was meant to target my lats but i found my forearms failing first from the other exercises. Any suggestions for alternative exercises?

Feel free to post any comments about my routine or whatever.
I'm off to eat

:D

semag

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
don't do the upright rows.... really bad for your shoulders/rotator cuffs. Go for front/side/back raises instead.

[]D [] []V[] []D

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
ok im a newb to this fitness stuff and im really young too but whats a pint of milk? like a glass?

GodsGiftToFatBirds

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Alright, just a brief update cos i'm at work in an hour and could do to get going.

So did my abdominals workout today, went as follows (with 1 min rest in between each set and 5 mins in between each exercise):

3*12 Weighted Crunches w/10kg (ie 10kg disc across my chest)

3*20 Twisting Crunches (dunno if thats the name for it, the one where you have your feet crossed in the air and your right elbow touches your left knee, then twist so your left elbow touches your right knee, then down, thats one rep)

3*20 Bicycles

Then repeat the whole lot.

re Semag, the problems you mention with upright rows - I'm not sure to be quite honest as I've been doing them a good while now and never had any problems with my shoulders. And what are rotator cuffs btw?
I'll look properly into what you advise when I've got a bit more time tho, gotta dash.

Any more comments welcome, cheers.

GodsGiftToFatBirds

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Semag, thanks for that, I've had a look through those articles.

To clarify summat tho, when you say 'if you do the right other stuff i.e. pressing/deadlifts, your shoulders and traps should be fine' are you talking about doing these AS WELL AS upright rows ie saying that upright rows are ok so long as you do the pressing and the deadlifts too?

Onto today's session, was chest, shoulders and triceps (all exercises have 2 minute intervals between sets):

DB Incline Bench (I'm giving the flat bench a break for now)
3*8 27kg
NT:28kg

Tricep Extension (the behind the head one) 3*8 14.5kg EH Sep
NT: More weight, fewer reps

FRont DB Raise 3*8 15.5kg EH Alt (so 16 reps per set in total)
NT: More weight, fewer reps

DB Flys 3*8 22kg EH Managed 8,8,6

Dips 3*10 These felt a bit too easy without any weight resistance - problem is that I haven't got dip bars so I'm doing them on the 2 worksurfaces in my kitchen which isn't ideal - they're a little too far apart and too low to have a DB between your feet without it hitting the ground. Anyone know any other ways of adding weight resistance? - perhaps wearing a jacket with weight discs in the pockets or summat

Sitting Palm-In 1 Arm DB Press 3*6
Managed 6,5 on right hand, 6,4 on left hand
Stopped after 2 sets and did last set standing up as i could feel my back twisting and was worried about pulling a muscle - anyone else had this kind of problem with shoulder presses?

semag

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
to clarify, if you do pressing, deads, and maybe some rear raises for assistance muscles, you can cut out the upright rows.

GodsGiftToFatBirds

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Ok, today was legs day, finished the session half an hour ago and had my whey and milk, just got my next meal cooking now.

Here's the session:

Barbell Hack Squat (don't have equipment for normal squats so use this exercise as the next best thing, i reckon its pretty good anyway, my legs were like jelly afterwards, which has gotta be a good sign that they've been worked hard)

3*10 67kg (2 min intervals)
NT: 69.5kg

DB Walking Lunges w/long strides (to emphasise hamstrings)
3*12 32kg EH (3 mins - longer intervals to allow grip to recover)
NT: 33kg

Leg Extension (quads - the one where you sit on bench and curl it up) 3*8 Level 6 (dunno how much weight this is) (2)

Prone Leg Curls (hamstrings) 3*10 Level 5 (2)
NT: Level 7 w/lower reps

Was gonna finish off with DB Rear Lunges but my groin was sore from the first lot of lunges so thought best to give it a miss.
Incidentally, does anyone else who uses lunges find it makes the groin sore? - I'm not sure if this is normal or if its because I'm doing it slightly wrong or not warming up well enough or summat.

GodsGiftToFatBirds

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Ok, today's sessin was abs, did similar to last time but increased the reps:

Weighted Crunches w/10kg 3*15

Twisting Crunches 3*25

Bicycles 3*25

Then repeated the whole lot. All exercises were done with 1 minute intervals between sets, 5 mins between exercises.

Been thinking about my abs sessions - I could probably do with lowering the reps and increasing the resistance as my reps are pretty high on all my exercises, prob benefitting my endurance more than my strength. Thinking about getting an incline abdominal board, they've got em in Argos for 20 quid.

Oh yeh, and also to anyone who reads this, do you use whey protein after your abs sessions in the same way as your weights sessions. I haven't been doing but thinking maybe i ought to if i wanna get maximum benefit from the abs sessions.

I'm looking forward to getting on the scales tomorrow, seeing what my weight is after 1 week. Seems daft to think i might have made any real progress in 1 week but i've been training well, keeping to the eating plan i laid out at the start of the week, and from looking in the mirror, i do reckon i have bulked up slightly even just in the past week.

Not Quite There

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by GodsGiftToFatBirds

Was gonna finish off with DB Rear Lunges but my groin was sore from the first lot of lunges so thought best to give it a miss.
Incidentally, does anyone else who uses lunges find it makes the groin sore? - I'm not sure if this is normal or if its because I'm doing it slightly wrong or not warming up well enough or summat.

not from lunges mate, but I had been getting pains from squats and deadlifts, and I did myself a bit of damage last time i did deadlifts.

If your not careful, they can lead to hernias, luckily it appears I have just inflamed or damaged my abdominal wall a bit according to the doctor, but he reckons it'll get better.

Anyhow, gonna rest for a few more weeks, then I might start my own diary as you mentioned before.

GodsGiftToFatBirds

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeh, to be honest, the groin pain was pretty short term, it was fine the next day though my legs in general have been absolutrely killing since i did the leg session on monday, especially my quads.
So much so that i did chest, back and shoulders (which i have schedulked for fridays) today instead of back and biceps because my legs were far too sore to do deadlifts, whicjh i consider my main back exercise - i'll do back and biceps on friday instead.

Anyway, my workout today went pretty well, was pleased to see that my weight's gone up since last week, was 74kg when i weighed myself this morning.
My nutrition's been sh!te today tho cos i've been out this evening and drunk a fair bit and not kept to schedule with my meals. I'll defiantely get the food back on trackj tomorrow tho, i intend to keep the heavy nights out to a minimum while i'm training seriously.

Here's the workout i did:

DB Incline Bench 3*8 28kg (2)
NT: Bit more weight

Tricep Extension 3*6 15.5kg (2)

Front DB Raise 3*5 17kg EH Alt (2)
NT: 3*6

DB Flys 3*8 22kg
NT: Bit more weight

Dips 3*10 (1) - was gonna try and add weight but was in a real rush to get the session done before going out, i'll devise a way to add weight resistance the next time i do the session when i've got a bit more time

I also missed out the last shoulder exercise cos i was in a real rush to get out. Guess the lesson from this is always leave plenty of time for your workout - its hard to stay focused on the workout when you're rushing to get it finished.

Anyway I'm off to bed. Its 3:20 and I've gotta be up in 5 hours for my haircut appointment. :eek:
The girl I've got cutting it is pretty tidy tho so i don't mind too much :D

GodsGiftToFatBirds

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Alright, just posting an update on my training since i last posted on Wednesday.

I've had to miss out my final weights session for this week cos of muscle soreness from playing football - had a game Saturday (I'm not playing football regularly at the mo cos it leaves me injured or too sore to train half the time, my mate's team was short tho) so I decided to delay Friday's weights session till after the game. Both afterwards and today though, my muscles were too sore, I'll be back on the weights tomorrow.

Did do Thursday's abs session though:

Weighted Crunches w/10kg 3*15 (1)

Twisting Crunches 3*25 (1)

Bicycles 3*25 (1)

Weighted Crunches w/10kg 3*15 (1)

I did this session with just 2 mins in between each exercise rather than my previous 5, this made it a lot tougher. I'm definately looking at getting an abs incline board tho, gonna have a look on ebay in a bit, if there's nothing cheap going, I'll splash out 20 quid on the one from Argos.

semag

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
always leave 72 hours between deads + legs and vice versa.

GodsGiftToFatBirds

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeh I agree, i've changed my training split, its now
Mon: Back and Biceps
Wed: Chest, Shoulders and Triceps
Fri: Legs

So today was back and biceps, was a pretty good session, improved on every exercise from the last time i did it. All exercises done with 2 mins in between sets and 5 mins between exercises.

Deadlift 1*4 87kg, 2*4 129.5kg
NT: 130.5kg

Concentration Curls 3*6 24kg EH Sep
NT: 24.5kg

Bent over barbell row 3*8 52kg
NT: 54.5kg

Close grip pull ups with u/hang grip w/12kg 3*6
NT: 14.5kg

Upright DB rows 3*6 14.5kg EH (started fairly light cos first attempt at this exercise with DBs)
NT: 17kg

Hammer Curls 3*7 22kg EH Alt
NT: 3*8

Wide grip pull ups with o/hang grip 3*6
Managed 6,6,5

So, was a pretty good session.
I've also got a picture of my physique to post, so i can make comparisons later on, i took this pic before i did the first session in this journal nearly 2 weeks ago.

GodsGiftToFatBirds

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Ok, these are my last 3 sessions: Tuesday, yesterday and today

Tuesday was abs:

Incline Crunches (yep bought an incline board now) w/10kg 3*10 (1)

Twisting Crunches 3*25 (1)

Bicycles 3*25 (1)

Repeat all

Yesterday was Chest, Shoulders and Triceps (2 mins between each set, 5 between each exercise)

DB Incline Bench 3*6 30kg
NT: 31kg

Tricep Extension 3*7 15.5kg

Front DB Raise 3*6 17kg EH Alt

DB Flys 3*6 24.5kg EH
Only managed first set of this - felt like i could only go about halfway down on my left arm before my arm sort of seized up, so stopped.
NT: Try a different chest exercise

Weighted Dips w/7kg 3*8
NT: Use 12kg

Arnold DB Press 3*6 17kg EH Together

Today: Abs (as before, 1 min between each set, 2 mins between each exercise)

Incline Crunches w/15kg 3*10

Twisting Crunches 3*30

Bicycles 3*30

Incline Crunches w/10kg 3*10

Twisting Crunches 3*25

Bicycles 3*25

This session was tough, i'd been intending to repeat the first 3 exercises the 2nd time round but realised i wouldn't be able to, so dropped the weights/reps to the level of Tuesday's session. But immediately after the final exercise, I tried to do a normal sit-up and actually couldn't! That's how hard i'd worked my abs in this session.

I've also started taking whey after my abs sessions as well as after weights, although only 2 spoons rather than the 3 i use for weights.

Any comments, please leave - I hate to feel i'm just writing this for myself!

semag

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
i'd say take out the front raises if you're gonna do the arnolds.