Girls/ppl won't leave me alone at gym!

CCKazi007

Banned
Reaction score
I joined a local gym few months ago and while I'm working out I always get interrupted by someone. I even get ppl who talk to me when I'm squattin 230 lbs or deadlifting 300 lbs and want to know if I wanna "switch off" with them. Sometimes I get girls who won't start talkin to me but lift really NEAR ME. So what can I say to these ppl? I don't wanna sound rude but I just hate when I get stopped/distracted cuz I like to focus and not get injured and I don't go to the gym to socialize. BTW I always have headphones on so I really don't get why ppl insist on talking to me... Anyone else have the same problem? Any advice will be appreciated.

Mjazz

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
This used to happen to me, until I picked out my spot in the corner squat rack and put on a hoody and a headphones. Really drives the people away.

Skilla_Staz

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Amen. Hoodies and headphones give the "just let me lift" impression.

blinkwatt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Dude just keep it short,when someone ask you something give your response and keep going,works for me. Here are some examples of what I mean,these happened to me so I know they work;

Guy in locker room(he is always there when Iam so he kinda knows me)- "Oh there he is,your about to make a run on these older guys here."
bw - "Thanks"(Put my jacket in the locker and headed out,no chit chatting)

Old guy in late at nights - "I was wondering if you still came here,I haven't seen you in forever."
bw - "Yeah,I've been busy,gotta lift."(Went back to the leg press)

Just keep it short,and get back to lifting,they will know you mean business.

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
No one talks to me at my gym except the people who work there. I've noticed people staring at me in the mirrors when I do deadlifts, power cleans, etc. because no one at my gym does them, everyone just "does the machines" and bench press, etc. :cry:

BluEyes

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I've always supported the notion that the same ettiquete used in the Mens room should be applied in the gym. No talking to one another, no smiling, no eye contact, and talk to someone only if you are both trying to use the same machine. Grunting and loud noises are permitted, but no coherent words are to be spoken during grunting, such as "Oh YEAH!" or "YEAH baby!".

It's essentially standard procedure for anywhere that men tend to be in the same room.

Cruise

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Go lift near the chick, and rip out one of those silent but deadly gassers. Make eye contact, smile and wink, then briskly make your way to your next workout. Silent and effective. Yes. Yes indeed.

yake

Don Juan
Reaction score
I noticed the same thing when doing deadlifts and bent-over rows. Nobody does them, so I sometimes get stared at. I actually think it's kinda cool:p

cuzza

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I go 3 or 4 times a week, once with friends and one alone. I always go late and my friends go early, the time I go with my friends there'll prolly be about 4 or 5 people I know in the gym. So on that day I won't have headphones, I'll speak a bit to them inbetween sets, etc.

However, on any other day, those are MY days. Headphones, no talking unless it's a ''you done with that mate?'' or an ''Alright'' and an eyebrow raise.

spesmilitis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Cruise said:
Go lift near the chick, and rip out one of those silent but deadly gassers. Make eye contact, smile and wink, then briskly make your way to your next workout. Silent and effective. Yes. Yes indeed.
That is the best advice so far.

If someone starts talking to you or workout close to you, ask them to scratch a part of your back that you can't cuz theirs a burning/itchy rash that's been annoying. If you ever get someone to actually do it (they could, just so they won't seem mean or something), tell em 'you have to go wash your hands now' cuz thats what a doctor told you.

Skilla_Staz

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

Aaron B

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
just avoid eye contact and you will be fine

girls place themselves near you when they are attracted and want you to talk to them. So just ignore her and she will get the hint and go away.

donjuanjovi

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Hockey Playa said:
who wears a hoody working out??:confused:
I actually started wearing a hoody and earphones at my college gym so people wouldn't talk to me. If someone from one of my classes was in the gym at the same time I was, they tried turning it into a fvcking social event.

Skilla_Staz

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I wear one because it's kind of chilly. Plus, I hate those skinny kids who are like 6'2, 140lbs and walk around with cutoff tanktops. I'm not there to impress people. It's not a fashion show...I'm there to lift and leave.

md3sign

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Oh no girls are trying to hit on you run away!

Headphones work for me. I still get an ***hole here and there interrupting me in teh middle of a set. I just ignore them and finish up my set. Then I answer whatever question they have. If it's in the middle of a hard set and they're completely clueless about dispurting people, I'll let them know.

Some people just have no gym etiquette, but whatever.

DJsomeday

Don Juan
Reaction score
BluEyes said:
I've always supported the notion that the same ettiquete used in the Mens room should be applied in the gym. No talking to one another, no smiling, no eye contact, and talk to someone only if you are both trying to use the same machine. Grunting and loud noises are permitted, but no coherent words are to be spoken during grunting, such as "Oh YEAH!" or "YEAH baby!".

It's essentially standard procedure for anywhere that men tend to be in the same room.
LMAO i don't know why but i found this funny as hell :D k go back to the topic!:yes:

mrRuckus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Aaron B said:
just avoid eye contact and you will be fine

girls place themselves near you when they are attracted and want you to talk to them. So just ignore her and she will get the hint and go away.
Last week i had a girl basically follow me around the gym and kept using things right next to me no matter where I went. Kind of amusing.