Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Getting stronger but not bigger?

MattB

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I dont think I have been gaining much size recently. I mean I am stuck at around 150 for the last month also. Strength gained has been tremendous though. For example shoulder DB press , I used to do 30 but now I do 40, which means that I gained 10 pounds in a month.

What is the problem?

DJ Girevik

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
If you are doing low reps that could be why. Try upping the reps per set, as well as increasing volume.

MattB

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I am doing around 5-10 reps, depending on the excersies

Is 6-8 the best for size?

DIESEL

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by DJ Girevik
If you are doing low reps that could be why. Try upping the reps per set, as well as increasing volume.
SO...SO...SO.. FUKKING WRONG!! PLEASE READ THE GUIDE TO BULKING UP FOR AN EXPLANATION.

Matt:

You are on the right track.. 4-8 reps is a good range for mass...

Now... think of it this way.. you are getting feedback from your body...

1. Obviously the rep range is working cause you are getting stronger - BUT

2. You are not gaining much weight...

3. Your options are to up your caloric intake (see my BULKING GUIDE for an idea of how much you should be eating given your weight, and if you have been following that - then your body is telling you that you need to feed it even more for it to grow !! )

So.. use this feedback to tweak the basic principles of adding mass to your particular metabolism.

Good work on the strength gains - now zero in on your diet, so your muscles start to grow with your strength as well.

peace,
D

KmZDon

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
DIESEL- I'm not perfectly right on this but do I put 4-8 on ALL of my excercise or some? I can't find the answer in your guide...

DJ Girevik

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by DIESEL
SO...SO...SO.. FUKKING WRONG!! PLEASE READ THE GUIDE TO BULKING UP FOR AN EXPLANATION.
I said IF HE IS USING LOW REPS. Low reps = 1 to 3. That would be like a powerlifter routine, which is crap for gaining size.

KmZDon

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I said IF HE IS USING LOW REPS. Low reps = 1 to 3. That would be like a powerlifter routine, which is crap for gaining size.
So low rep, high weight=more power but crap size gain. Right?

DIESEL

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by KmZDon
So low rep, high weight=more power but crap size gain. Right?
Not quite. You need to lift heavy to force the muscles to grow...however you need to enough work to create enough muscle stimulation above and beyond nervous system activity.

Basically lifting in the 1-3 rep range all the time will give a bit of mass but it will mostly train your nervous system to fire...

Now in the 4-8 rep range, you begin to involve the endurance fibers as well and thus leading to more growth...

Anything above 10 reps uses primarily endurance fibers and does not work the fast-twitch fibers enough.. the fast twitch fibers are the ones that grow, grow, grow!

D

MattB

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Well , more details on this situation.

I see that I am getting more toned (especially my shoulders, but size wise, is pretty much the same)

I try to forcefeed myself but is pretty darn hard. Basically people still see me as a skinny weak dude but I am actually pretty strong now for my size.

Also another question
My bicep havent been getting stronger. I dont know why. I do the basic excersies, picther curl, barbell curl but I really dont see an increase in strength..:(

and Diesel, your guide is great, thx a bunch

DIESEL

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Questions for Matt B:

How long have you been lifting?

How old ?

Height?

DJ Girevik

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by MattB

Also another question
My bicep havent been getting stronger. I dont know why. I do the basic excersies, picther curl, barbell curl but I really dont see an increase in strength..:(

Curls are close to worthless for gaining bicep size... You want REAL bicep size? Do chins. I did 10 sets of 5 or something like that with chins for 1-2 days a week for a month, and my biceps started growing like weeds.

DIESEL

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Curls are close to worthless for gaining bicep size... You want REAL bicep size? Do chins.
Again...so wrong.

Heavy Barbell Curls are the best exercise for packing mass on to your biceps.

Chins are good, but it's too much back involvement.

KmZDon

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Again...so wrong.

Amen, I'd say Heavy BB Curls and Concentrated Curls. +++

DJ Girevik

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Again...so wrong.

If you do them heavy enough that you need to use muscular tension to complete your lifts, you'll be pushing your back AND biceps to the max, which means big biceps, big back - not to mention involving other muscle groups in it too. Biggest biceps I've ever seen on a natural lifter belonged to a guy who doesn't do curls, and chins have done more for me than curls ever have...

MattB

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Questions for Matt B:

How long have you been lifting?

How old ?

Height?
I have been lifting since January. I used machines back then and switched to free weights in April. When I started I was around 125 and now I am 150.

I am 19 and 173cm. Since I am short I want to be slim and cut. I can get too big or else I will look really bad.