Getting out of friend-zone you intentionally put yourself in

Herb

Don Juan
Reaction score
So I met a girl about a month and a half ago or so at a reception. At the end of our talk, when it's often customary to exchange business cards, she said she didn't have one but gave me her number. I also became friends with a few of her acquaintances, and we went exploring the city as a group together a few nights later after another event for our industry, with me driving. Anyway, I then hit her up and invited her to meet for some drinks/coffee in the afternoon later that week, and she enthusiastically agreed; we had a pretty good time. She told me she was also willing to go to some of the same places or museums she'd already been to with me. But I eventually took her to a carnival on the weekend and drove her to it an hour away, even though we were meeting up with a bunch of my friends who were already there. I had kind of meant this as a date initially (never referred to it as such) but was on the fence about it, and for various reasons eventually decided I wasn't feeling it that way with her over the course of the "date", so I didn't escalate, although I did keep up the occasional teasing and mild flirting. I essentially purposely friend-zoned myself. I also took a bit more of an interest in one of her best friends here, who was a lot more slutty.

Over the course of the next month we just mainly chilled as friends in a group, or occasionally one on one. One night her friend was sending me provocative snaps of them getting ready to go out (they like to drink) but I couldn't come out that night due to other obligations. Within the last week or so, I came to realize that I have renewed interest in her (the main girl I'm talking about). Part of the reason I wasn't as into her earlier was because she tended to always be hungover and out of it, so she wasn't on her A game either physically or mentally. But now she actually looks quite good and having hung out with her numerous times I've come to like her personality-wise too.

Last week I took her out to a Buffalo Wild Wings and drove her home. I half-jokingly asked about coming up to see her apartment (I coincidentally used to live in the same building), and she said "well sure but I'm just going to sleep you can watch TV in the main room". Just laughed it off and wished her good night. A few days later she asked if I would come with her to a movie since she didn't have anyone else to go with and didn't want to look like a loser (she was new to town and still working on finding a permanent job). It was even at a theater that was close to where I live, so after the movie I suggested we grab drinks at a cool hidden bar nearby, planning on asking her to come back to my place afterward. Had a good time there, but when I eventually suggested going to my place as we were leaving the bar, she said she was really tired and it was her bedtime, being a weekday, and just wanted me to drive her to a bus-stop, which I did (it's true that she constantly gets tired around 10-11). As she was cold outside I did give her my jacket, and of course bought the drinks. She didn't really say thanks for that though, and when I dropped her off she just quickly said bye without a hug or anything, although that's not totally out of character for her either; it's just her slightly aloof natural style.

It's hard to get a good read on her. She was certainly interested in me initially but I feel like now I may be deeper in the friend zone,... and that my recent actions may actually be creeping her out now. But we're not like totally friends either. We've only known each other for a short amount of time overall. She's never been to my place before either. As I said I do occasionally give her a hard time, teasing her and stuff and flirt a bit, so it's not like I'm some longtime gay best friend of hers. There is (or at least was) some sexual tension there, and her body language still seems to indicate physical attraction, although she sends out mixed signals. She also has said things like telling me to be careful and not catch a cold and stuff like that.

I recall a couple of weeks earlier she suggested we go shopping for some Asian food that she could cook for me, and I agreed to the idea but was so busy that I couldn't make time for it back then. When I eventually mentioned the idea again she was like half-jokingly mad that I took so long to get to it, since she had just bought stuff for herself, and kinda deflected the idea. The last time we recently discussed it she said maybe we should do a dinner party instead, which I wasn't as receptive to obviously. When discussing how "loose" her friend is, I mentioned that she, in contrast, seemed a lot more old fashioned or proper, and not as interested in hooking up with random dudes, to which she replied that she occasionally does do that although not often, which was interesting.

So is there a way to kinda get out of this zone? She may be onto me but at the same time seems okay with it, since she's still interacting with me. Also, I don't necessarily actually want to go out with her officially, but am talking about more of a casual thing, at least at first. I feel like it's sometimes harder to go from being friends to something casual like FWB than it is to go to a meaningful relationship. It's not like you can just float the idea... it has to happen naturally. But I don't think I'm too deep into the zone either. May require making her jealous with other girls around.

DreamAgain

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Your know the drill dude...try to escalate and if she doesn't reciprocate, withdraw attention and disappear. You'll risk losing her as a friend like this, but that's what you'll have to do to get out of the FZ.

dude99

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Sorry dudr but Her interest ship has already set sail.

Go spin plates. Date other women. If she is actually interested at all the fact you have options will bother her. If it doesn't bother her, she isn't interested.

wifehunter

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
the FZ has some perks...1. if you find your self there...you can still do some screening before going ghost.

2. if she turns out to be trash, you can bail and save energy for the next chicky.

Herb

Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah I had a feeling people would just tell me to get over it, move on, and find others. Which I am doing to an extent. I actually think her slutty friend will be a lot easier.

I'm leaning toward the fact that I missed my chance with this girl though. Like here's a list of positive and negative factors, in addition to what I already described

----

Good:

Still hangs out with me each week, and often one on one.
Isn't seeing anyone else, that I know of... but the fact that on weekends she usually goes out with us/me or asks me to, I doubt it.
Responds well to kino. Never shirks back at all when I touch her places, including thigh and lower back or when I grabbed and felt her hair while she was talking about it. Has initiated touch herself on several occasions.
On the topic of whether I was too skinny she recently said 'maybe but even so that's not something that really matters, at least to me'.
Was once definitely into me and hinted about hanging out at home.
Showed genuine concern for my well-being and at times would just tell me where she's at and what she's doing even though I didn't ask.
Last few times has been dressing up quite nicely when the two of us go out late at night.

Bad:

Usually calls me things like "bruh", which is pretty platonic and friend-y, and rarely addresses me by name.
Hasn't said anything since that last encounter a couple of days ago.
Deflected and changed the idea of cooking for a private dinner for us last time I discussed it.
Has mentioned to the group that she isn't really into staying up late to have sex and stuff, in contrast to her friends, and goes to bed early usually. For a while I thought she seemed like she had a low sex drive.
Didn't respond too enthusiastically to a compliment last time I made it, but maybe I didn't come across as very sincere.

Neutral:

Doesn't seem like the promiscuous type, but has hinted that she isn't always a total "good girl". That could go both ways.
Hasn't been to my place yet and I haven't been inside hers. In fact she may even think I have "devious" intents about bringing her back there, but at the same time still willingly hangs out with me in the city and even planned some of our encounters near my area, which is confusing. Wanted me to drive her home on several occasions.
Pokes fun at me pretty often.
Generally pretty chill girl, but in a stressful time for her as she's trying to break into the workforce in a new city and still isn't successful. Has been drinking and going on escapes to distract from her troubles. Kinda depends on me to show her around town and do "fun stuff".
I'm the one who kind of friendzoned her when she might have thought I was into her. Doesn't that mean that I am potentially still in control of this situation in some way? I just hope she didn't interpret that as me being too "scared" to court her, as that really wasn't it; I just had a change of heart.
I made a joking comment which she misunderstood regarding her attractiveness and seemed personally hurt by it, as if it mattered to her what I thought. But I cleared that up.

----

Sure the opportunity for an actual romantic relationship has probably passed, but who knows, it may possible that something could happen with her casually some day if she actually came by and we had some drinks and hung out. I'm not dwelling on this but I don't want to have wasted my time either. One thing I don't like about all these "plates" is that for me, it takes mental and emotional energy to invest into potential girls or prospects. I'm just not the kind of guy who can easily initiate tons of them like that. It becomes draining and exhausting keeping them up, especially with a busy work life and other life obligations and family problems... and when something falls through after all that work, it sucks and you don't feel like doing anything for a while.

Yes, I know that's the opposite of what the guide says; you're not really supposed to be put too much "work" or "effort" into it, but it's hard to change that.

Last edited:

jaymbrs

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Before dismissing any opportunity, try admitting coming clean to her and literally say something like "I'll admit I saw you as a friend initially but after hanging out, I think we should formally go out on a date." If she says yes, great. If not, then move on.

Herb

Don Juan
Reaction score
See that's exactly what I was planning on doing. I feel like this is one of those cases where you should just kinda own up to it and tell her what's on your mind instead of beating around the bush. But currently I kinda blew her off for the time being. Talking to her friend more now. I'll come back to her in due time.

Also on a broader note, why is it that many women seem to switch from being interested in you to then almost being disgusted by you if you take too long to make a move, or show interest in them after the time has passed to do so? Is it because they consciously think that this guy is too scared and therefore not a good prospect, or just some kind of emotional response without a logical thought process behind it? I've seen it happen many a time, not only to myself but others.

marmel75

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Isolate and escalate. Simple as that.