Getting my first credit card

ryan killa

Don Juan
Reaction score
Ok, so I just turned 18, and I am looking to get my first credit card.

So, is there any real difference between them? I simply want to improve my credit so that 1 day I can easily purchase real estate, etc.

Also, I am pretty good in that I don't spend much money, etc., so paying off balances would not be a problem.

Any advice?

cinephile

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Since your just starting into the wonderful world of revolving debt, I would recomend to stay away from all credit cards except gas credit cards. The reason being is that those cards are meant specifically to only buy gas so you really can't go ape**** with them. I mean there is only so much you can buy in the convience store. Since gas is something you need and use, it is not like it is something you wer'nt going to spend $ on anyway. Also, most gas cards give you discounts. If you can pay it off every month, a gas card is actually not a bad thing to have.

Abbott

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'd recommend getting a regular credit card, but only one (so your combined credit won't be too large). Get more later when you feel more comfortable about it and know you can do it without screwing yourself.

Don't get department store or other proprietary cards. They're bad because A) you can't use them at any other store, and B) since it's credit, it requires an inquiry against your credit record, and too many inquiries hurt your score.

Also, get a card with no annual fee. An annual fee is like spending money so you can spend more money (which is why it's important to carry balances as small as possible, as interest is the same thing).

I don't know this for a fact, but I'd try getting a Visa from your bank because they'd already know your history of check writing (like how you haven't (or have) been writing bad checks, etc.). Plus by already being a customer of theirs, getting a credit card would help them make more money off of you (don't worry, stuff you buy won't cost more...they make the money in other ways).

Stick with Visa or Mastercard. They're the most widely accepted. You can get American Express or Discover, but why bother? You can't use them in as many places, and the places that do also take Visa and Mastercard.

And I cannot emphasize this enough:
DON'T SIGN ANYTHING UNTIL YOU COMPLETELY UNDERSTAND THE TERMS AND HOW THEY AFFECT YOU.

Otherwise something strange may happen, you'll be like WTF? And when you complain to the bank they'll say "but you signed this agreement, so you agreed to this."

Ben