Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Getting into martial arts. Anyone with experience?

FairShake

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
LiveFreeX said:
I'm not talking about that kind of wrestling. Pro wrestling is dangerous for a fake sport. I'm talking about amateur wrestling (for lack of a better term) that guys do in school.

Aikido will make you an excellent fighter, have you done any aikido FairShake? Joint locks are 1000x better than punching/kicking. Anyone can throw a punch, not everyone can take a punch and turn it into an arm breaking situation. The Katas are also very physically intensive.
I have never trained Aikido. Several aikido practicioners have moved over to Judo and practiced where I used to. We rolled many times. They had some very cool wristlocks to show me. But they were never able to pull them off in randori. Believe me they tried. Everytime they would show me a wristlock the move began with "Now you have to put your hand here first. No move it up a little" or something like that. That doesn't speak well of it's usefulness that you need your attacker to cooperate with you in order for it to work best. That's perhaps the one thing you do not have in a fight.

The aikido guys did, however, have outstanding leverage and balance. I think that's something that aikido teaches very well. All of these guys eventually became very good judo players.

FairShake

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
MidnightCity said:
this popped up on my news feed just now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCmucAiUXi4

the guy looks like he has years of training in him. his footwork was very good. good lateral movement, was off balance once at 1:04 and the takedown was smooth
The black guy moves like an athlete. The white guy moves like a regular dude.

I'd put my money on an non-martial artist athlete over a non-athletic martial artist. There are MANY non-athletes in the Martial arts...myself included. I'm pretty strong and in decent shape on a bike but, despite years of basketball, cycling, and martial arts, I'm clumsy, slow, and gas easily when playing a sport or sparring. A football player with no fight training would probably hand me my ass if the fight went too long.

Being fit and agile go a LONG way.