Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Gatorade

Reaction score
How much health value does it have? I have stopped drinking soda and only drink Gatorade. I don't like the taste of water but if water is light years superior I'll switch to it.

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Gatorade isn't a health drink so it shouldn't be considered a replacement for water. Gatorade is better than water only if you are readily active in some type of sport where you can become dehydrated for a prolonged length of time.

Gatorade replaces electrolytes and sodium which are lost with prolonged aerobic exertion. If you sweat a lot and loose large amounts of sodium, Gatorade will replenish your supply. Sodium allows your body to absorb liquids. Without it you may not be able to keep liquids down during the activity.

I just drink Gatorade when I'm cycling for several hours at a time (about a liter an hour) so I can go through about a gallon on a typical 60-70 mile ride. Mind you, I don't drink the lemon/lime flavor unless that is the only thing around besides water. My preference is grape or the fruit punch flavors. There's at least 8 or 10 different flavors to choose from.

So unless you are out there exerting yourself, loosing electrolytes and sodium, Gatorade won't do you much good. By the way, it does taste better if your sodium level is depleted.

AFK Protector

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Don't substitute Gatorade for water. I drink water and sometimes tea/Starbucks mocha like once a week. I only drink Gatorade if I'm running/working out for an hour, or if I'm playing tennis because matches last a few hours if it's a good opponent. Anyways, the sodium content in Gatorade is pretty higher, so I bought the powder and I can add a little less and still get the flavor. Hope this helped.

chicksrock

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
yeah you can't call gatorade a health drink!

Its got a fair bit of sugar in it (making it not all that much better than a soft drink)

offcourse water is the purist and best for your body

-k2

Don Juan
Reaction score
Its way better then a soft drink, a hundred times over.

No acid, no bubbles, no caffine, and way less calories/sugar

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by -k2
Its way better then a soft drink, a hundred times over.

No acid, no bubbles, no caffine, and way less calories/sugar
Very true, I was just about to post that same information. But people should understand that Gatorade is not a health drink nor a soft drink. It has a specific purpose for those who primarily are endurance athletes.

I will admit that I have read medical studies that state that sports drinks do not do anything more than regular water. I can say that I have seen athletes literally work so hard that they would get nauseous regurgitate every ounce of water that they would drink because their body was so depleted of nutrients that it could not absorb it. However after drinking Gatorade the nausea went way and they were able to keep down the liquid.

I'm not a scientist but after seeing that I made sure that I always carried Gatorade with me while training. I have never had a problem and actually feel less fatigue and have more endurance when I use it.

Reaction score
Thanks

I'll switch to water.

ilikebeef

Don Juan
Reaction score
Dragging up this old thread instead of starting a new one...

Is gatorade better than water for doing about 15 minutes of very intense wind sprints in 100 degree heat?

I see all the commercials and stuff, but it's got to be mainly hype, although there must be some truth to the whole "puts back what water doesn't" thing.

It was mentioned that gatorade is for endurance athletes, so does it's value decrease for what I talked about?

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You should understand the purpose of Gatorade. It's a replinishment system for electrolites. Water just rehydrates. The question is whether or not you need the replinishment.

Depending on how your body reacts to intense workouts should be the determining factor. The simplist way that I was able to determine what I needed was to notice just how much sodium I lost during a workout.

Sodium is very important in hydrating the body, without it you body will not absorb any liquids. Gatorade gives you that, but also a salty snack like chips or nuts and water.

I swear by the stuff, but my workouts involve riding a bike anywhere from one to six hours. I usually go through at least 16 ounces each hour. Prior to my rides I do make sure I am well hydrated by making sure I drink enough water.

I'm not sure if it is necessarily worthwhile if you only work out for 15 minutes or so. The heat does play a part but first and formost is how much sodium/water (sweat) you loose during the workout.

Just for giggles, I'm going to share a secret cyclists have known for a while; the recipe(s) for making your own sports drink.

The basic recipe is not complicated and homemade sports drinks can provide all of the same benefits when mixed properly. Gatorade (tm) is formulated to give the following per 8oz serving:

-14grams Carbohydrate (5.9%)
-110 mg Sodium
-30mg Potassium
-52 Calories
Alternatives to this commercial product can be made using one of the following recipes:

Recipe #1
10 tbs. sugar (5/8 cups or 120 grams)
.75 tsp Morton Lite salt (4.2 grams)
1 package of unsweetened Coolade mix for flavor
Water to make 2 liters

Nutrition Information (per 8 ounces). The recipe will give a total of 124 grams of solute which in 2 liters water gives a total of 6.2% concentration.

14.2 grams carbohydrate (6%)
53 calories
103 mg Sodium
121 mg Potassium

You'll notice that the amount of potassium is quite a bit higher than Gatorade, but the rest is pretty close. As excess potassium is eliminated from the body by the kidneys, and some experts feel a high potassium helps to minimize muscle cramps - and hypertension if taken long term - this is not necessarily bad. However, if you wanted to reduce the potassium to the level of a Gatorade product, another option would be to use 1/2 tsp. each of regular salt and the Morton Lite Salt. This would change the composition to:
104mg sodium
40mg potassium

Recipe #2
(if you wanted to reduce the amount of potassium, or simply didn't want to buy some Morton Lite Salt
1/2 cup orange juice
9 tbs. Sugar
3/8 tsp Salt
Water to 2 liters

Nutrition Information (per 8 ounces):
14.4 grams carb (6.1%)
104 mg sodium
28.4 mg Potassium
(you could substitute 2 tbs. of lemon juice for the orange juice and it would come out the same - or at least close).

Recipe #3 (using cups and quarts)
4 tablespoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup boiling water
1/4 cup orange juice (not concentrate) or 2 tablespoons lemon juice
3-3/4 cups cold water
1. In the bottom of a pitcher, dissolve the sugar and salt in the hot water.
2. Add the juice and the remaining water; chill.
Yield: 1 quart

Calories - 50
carbohydrate 12 grams
sodium 110 milligrams
potassium 30 milligrams

Recipe #4 (if you prefer an all fructose drink)
125 mL (1/2 c) orange juice (or other sugar-containing beverage)
125 mL (1/2 c) water
0.25 mL (pinch) salt
Calories - 59
carbohydrates 14 grams
sodium - 118 mg

Recipe #5 Lemon-orange sports drink
1 caffeine-free lemon tea bag
Water
2 tablespoons sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons orange juice
Bring 16 ounces of water to a boil.
Steep lemon tea bag.
Dissolve sugar and salt in the tea and let cool.
Combine the tea and orange juice and chill.
Calories - 60
carbohydrates - 15g
sodium -130mg

I still use Gatorade on occasion just because you can buy the huge, powdered mix that makes 8 gallons of the stuff. It's just more convinient than making the mixture for each workout.