Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Gas Prices

GlutusMaximus86

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
We'll as most you have already noticied gas prices are skyrocketing and its only supposed to get worse before it gets better. I've heard its because OPEC and other oil coropations decided to cut back oil production, but I'm sure there are other reasons for this as well.

I'm pretty sure they have synthetic (man made) oil, though its really expensive, could they make that into synthetic gasoline or something? I'm just curious if anyone knows the answer to that.

Also what are some things we can do to increase the gas mileage on our car? This is prolly a stupid question, but hey, its never hurts to ask.

I know a lot of people are saying we'll all be driving hydrogen cars soon, and I'm sure we will eventually, but the problem is getting the cars to not explode, which I heard is the biggest problem they are having with this. I heard when they tested the hydrogen bomb that it virtually vaporized the island they tested it on, so also people are naturally going to be a bit weary of driving a car full of hydrogen.

red sky30

Don Juan
Reaction score
THANK YOU for asking this question

Thanks for asking this very important question! Unfortunatly most americans don't give two ****s about fuel economy and *gasp* saving the environment.

Us Americans, we want the cheap gas prices, and we'll bomb whoever we want and do whatever we want to keep those prices under $2.00 a gallon.

Also what are some things we can do to increase the gas mileage on our car? This is prolly a stupid question, but hey, its never hurts to ask.
http://www.mpgplus.com/ has 12 good tips for you..

Or you could buy a new car. A hybrid! :)

Big-J

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Lesseee.... Mods that can technically improve milage by putting less of a load on an engine (for the most part).

Anything that improves airflow, this includes:

High Flow intake system (ie. K&N)
High Flow Mass Air Sensor (if your vehicle has one, some don't)
Headers
Free Flowing Exhaust system (Cat-back Exhaust system)
Hi Flow Catalytic Converter

That takes care of airflow, the rest:

Electric cooling Fans (meaning the fan isn't on the driveline anymore)
Ignition (better spark, better efficiency)
ECM Reprogramming (a reprogrammer ie. Hypertech for my truck kicked up milage a bit).
Synthetic oil (ie. Royal Purple)

Debatable:

Roller Rockers
Custom made Cam Shaft (but this can reallllly screw with your engine performance, and is pricey)
Shift Kit for Automatic transmissions (quicker shifts instead of comfort-minded smoother shifting can add to transmission life, and increase milage as well.

There's more but I can't think of 'em right now.

BTW with these mods, you also increase horsepower (with the possible exception of the cam depending on how it's made). Meaning you'll have a faster car, and more temptation to put your foot into it.

IF this means you'll be putting more foot into it, the mods will have next to no real improvement on your milage.

GlutusMaximus86

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Good responses so far. I thought for sure I'd get flamed like hell for asking this question. My car has fairly good mileage as is (27-30 MPG, keep in mind also my Saturn SL2 has over 234,000 miles on it.) and my parents also pay for my gas. But with rising gas prices they may decide to make me pay for the gas, so anyway I can save gas is good. Also I do care about the enviorment.

Big-J those are good suggestions but they all require $ which I don't much of at the moment. In the summer when I have a job and more money I'll definately look into those things. Also what does ECM stand for? I doubt it means electronic counter measure, at least for cars anyway.

More responses welcome.

BTW how much does synthetic oil cost? Also is it true also that if you have a lot of stuff on your keychain that it will wear down the ignition?

Big-J

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by GlutusMaximus86
Good responses so far. I thought for sure I'd get flamed like hell for asking this question. My car has fairly good mileage as is (27-30 MPG, keep in mind also my Saturn SL2 has over 234,000 miles on it.) and my parents also pay for my gas. But with rising gas prices they may decide to make me pay for the gas, so anyway I can save gas is good. Also I do care about the enviorment.

Big-J those are good suggestions but they all require $ which I don't much of at the moment. In the summer when I have a job and more money I'll definately look into those things. Also what does ECM stand for? I doubt it means electronic counter measure, at least for cars anyway.

More responses welcome.

BTW how much does synthetic oil cost? Also is it true also that if you have a lot of stuff on your keychain that it will wear down the ignition?

ECM/PCM Stands for Engine Control Module/Powertrain Control Module. In other words, your vehicle's computer :D.

Synthetic costs a bit more that regular, but it's also a lot better for your vehicle, reduces wear and tear, etc... Also in addition to taking load off the engine, it increases engine life.

Also for the Keychain thing I don't see how that would wear out the ignition switch...

Reto

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
There's alternative fuels like spent cooking oil. And of course those hybrid cars.

I've got a 2000 Celica, GTS. I've got a TRD Exhaust and AEI intake. Last road trip I got 36 mpg! Round trip to work is 60 miles. So, I'm gonna keep it til it dies...

WastelandWarrior

Don Juan
Reaction score
I've heard its because OPEC and other oil coropations decided to cut back oil production
OPEC is like an international drug cartel, except they sell oil. They control ~40% of the world's oil supply.
Venezuela is the key oil trading partner of the US.

Oil corporations are seeing record profits.
I'm pretty sure they have synthetic (man made) oil, though its really expensive
Yes and yes.
could they make that into synthetic gasoline or something?
Not cost efficiently. The basic premise of an internal combustion engine is to use a controlled explosion to move air.
Also what are some things we can do to increase the gas mileage on our car?
Big-J got most of it. I'll add: reduce weight, check for properly inflated tires often (weekly), reduce drag (roll up windows, cover pickup bed, etc), turn off a/c & front window defrost, accellerate slower.
I know a lot of people are saying we'll all be driving hydrogen cars soon, and I'm sure we will eventually, but the problem is getting the cars to not explode
Think of every gas station you pass on your way to work/ school/ superhappyfuntimes. Each and every one of those stations will need to be equiped with hydrogen dispensing units and storing units... thats a lot of money to invest with no guarantee on investment return. The death of mom and pop gas stations
so also people are naturally going to be a bit weary of driving a car full of hydrogen.
Next time you go to a bon fire, be sure to bring a dixie cup half-full of gasoline. Stand back!! and safely throw it on the fire and watch what happens. Remember, stand back! Make sure there is nobody near the fire. When this is done, you'll see there's not much more to fear from hydrogen.
is it true also that if you have a lot of stuff on your keychain that it will wear down the ignition?
Excessive keychains won't harm your ignition nor steering column. This is assuming you don't have 20 lb dumbbells attached for extended periods of time.
Yes, this is an expensive area to fix, so be reasonable about your keychain selection.

Ricky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

CLOONEY

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Economically gas prices are going up but they cant just keep going up. If gas prices go up, economic growth will fall and the OPEC countries will loose massive amounts of sales, forcing down prices. Prices have always oscilated around a long term average. However with resources only limited, eventually something is going to give.

DrMetallica

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm glad the gas prices are so high. I think they should be higher-- it will only increase incentive to invent new technology that will not use oil-- and put OPEC out of a job and reduce those countries back to the third world they once were. OPEC is shooting itself in the foot by reducing production and keeping prices high...

7 Virtues

Don Juan
Reaction score
Stop complaining. Gas prices don't even reflect the true cost of extracting and consuming oil.

Wyldfire

Banned
Reaction score
Get a Hybrid...

naoi deag se deag

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by 7 Virtues
Stop complaining. Gas prices don't even reflect the true cost of extracting and consuming oil.
Are you saying gas prices should be higher? You're the consumer that ruins all our fancy economic models :p

check_mate_kid_uk

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
you want to know how you can save most money on gas.....ride a bike to work for the cost of filling up your tank a few times you could get an ok bike, and then its free! no road tax, none of this huge amount of insurance, heck if you wont ride a bike because you are scared of getting in to good shape, heck at least use some common sense and catch the bus.

Giovanni Casanova

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by check_mate_kid_uk
you want to know how you can save most money on gas.....ride a bike to work for the cost of filling up your tank a few times you could get an ok bike, and then its free! no road tax, none of this huge amount of insurance, heck if you wont ride a bike because you are scared of getting in to good shape, heck at least use some common sense and catch the bus.
I wish we all lived in a place where it was possible to get back and forth to work on a bike. But we don't all live under those circumstances.

pen

Don Juan
Reaction score
check_mate_kid_uk are you sure you live in the uk? it's always raining which makes biking **** and public transport is crap and unrliable

if you want to save money on gas in england, get a diesel car and run in on vegitable oil from asda, tesco etc, and not tell the governemt. it costs about £3.50 a gallon here for gas so thats why it works out a cheaper option, i'd of thought bio-diesil would be the next thing before hydrogen though.

Giovanni Casanova

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by pen
i'd of thought bio-diesil would be the next thing before hydrogen though.
It will be.

D'light

Don Juan
Reaction score
in terms of hyrdogen as a viable gasoline alternative, there is a great great distance. for one, yes hydrogen is combustable. also, the country is full of what types of stations, thats right gas stations. the entire system would have to be built. hydrogen is also a very large gas, which means very large tanks would be necessary to run a vehicle off this fuel type. also currently, to get hydrogen into the state where it is usable as a fuel, takes power to do....more power with our current technology then the fuel would be worth. not all is bad though; hydrogen is very clean, the only exhaust is water..not bad. we will run out of crude oil one day, and an alternative will be required. will it be hydrogen? we don't know yet. i feel hybrids will lead the industry in the next 10-15 years until that new technology is found. with the great advances in batteries recently, hybrids are only getting better.