Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Gaining weight...

SecondHalf

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm having a little trouble here gaining weight.
Sure I could go on the beer/bon bon diet, but that's not the type of weight I'm after.

I'm 6'1" / 180 lbs and have a 32 inch waist.
When I was a young man, I was on a five day split and weighed a 220 (same waist), but I'm not in my early 30's anymore.

My questions are about Creatine & Whey protein hype that are not really necessary or are they valid (especially for an older fellow like myself).

My goal is to round off at 200lbs, and look good. I'm not interested in benching 50% over my body weight anymore, just to reduce the bone density and muscle mass loss that comes with age.

Anyone well read / experienced in this?
I'm not confident my old knowledge still applies.

Thanks in advance,

SH

PeeGee

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Unless your old knowledge comes from bygone era (and you are not that old), then your knowledge is still good. Eat right, eat more than usual, but not too much, and stress the body with progressive load = hypertrophy

quibbles like 5x5 or 3x5 or 3x8 don't concern me. I get bigger when I increase numbers on my lifts

pumping your body full of water (creatine) might increase your muscle mass. if that's good for you, go for it. consider that when you stop, the gains stop

thedude4242

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
bulky huge steroid muscles are not in. the lean athletic look is and you seem about that size. creatine is a waste of time and so is whey protein if it is not a meal replacement.

EFFORT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

Jack Wealthy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Social_Leper said:
Its practical though. Unless you're eating a solid amount of meat, chicken or fish with every meal you're going to need to supplement your intake with whey protein.
Most people who lift wieghts are ambitious with the amount of protein their body requires. I eat 26000 kj's a day and only 350 grams of protein, no whey. The only reason for most to take that stuff in is convenience, it's VERY hard to eat the amount I do without it. But I manage. Really it's such a small thing compared to overall diet and excersise that sups just aren't; for me, worth the cost.

Jack Wealthy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
No but I'm a fulltime student, so it's easier for me than most. Today I had two tins of tuna, two litres of skim milk one and a half chicken breasts with skin on, 60 grams of cheese and 20g of beef jerky. Plus other foods like bread, salad... I was going to eat some nuts, fruit and more beef but there was none so I ate some chicken breast tenders as well. Plus dinner.

ProDJ26

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
1. Drink more Water (Gallon a Day)
2. Get your eating right (whole eggs, beef, complex carbs, etc)
3. Relax & seep more
4. Lift Heavy
5. STAY CONSISTENT (really should be number 1)

Inglourious Basterd

Reaction score
Hucksters

Over the years, and by design, I went from what I felt was a too skinny 165lbs up to a fairly muscular 225lbs. IMO creatine is a complete waste of money. I don't know if you were around when creatine came out, but back in the mid 90's Bill Phillips, the guy who launched EAS, used to compare creatine to a magic bullet. And the protein you get from whey protein powder, as opposed to the protein you get from 4 ounces of cottage cheese or a egg whites, won't make that much of difference in the long run. I would consider whey protein to be more hype than anything else. As far as creatine is concerned, the hype died down when people started to realize that creatine was not the magic bull that Bill Phillips and others like him made it out to be.

metoo

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
man, you don't WANT to weigh more, trust me! Get THE FOUR HOUR BODY, by tim Ferris, from your library's INTERLIBRARY BOOK LOAN SYSTEM, for all sorts of help about your health. it's the real deal, man, and i'ts free thru your library, for 2-3 weeks, of course.

mrxq035

Reaction score
Gaining weight is very simple, it is simply an increase in weight. So yes if I ingest a dinner then I am heavier. In the context of medicine gaining weight is looked at over time to smooth out the anomalies like this, there's little need to try and work out the exact percentage gained from each meal. And remember calories are a very sloppy way of measuring things like this because they are only a measure of the energy given off by food when it is literally burnt. They say nothing about metabolism.