Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Gain Muscle FAST: Here's how I do it

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
future_strongguy said:
Anyone who gets results gets shot down on this board. This happens everywhere else on the internet too. Too many scientists.
agreed.

there's no issue with the guy's program or diet or his results (I have seen crazier results happen than what he's claiming), just the terminology he uses. to say he's a hardgainer is insulting true hardgainers :)

lots of people mistake being hardgainers for just not eating or training the way they need to, to unlock their INDIVIDUAL strength/muscle potential - they hammer away for years with no results, change something and then bam! a lot of muscle in a very short space of time almost as if they were on steroids. that's not being a hardgainer, that's just being on the wrong program. another guy may make great gains on that same program, it's just the 'hardgainer' didn't and thus thinks he's a hardgainer.

hardgainers are guys who have digestive issues, a low capacity for protein assimilation, genetically poor immune systems or low testosterone production capability or other hormonal problems - not people who didn't use the right program for THEM. those are people who truly have problems gaining muscle because their genetic makeup is a hinderance and NO program or dietary regime is going to overcome that in a hurry.

being skinny or having small wrists doesn't mean you don't have the genetic potential to gain a significant amount of muscle, it doesn't mean you're a hardgainer, it just means you are skinny or have small wrists!

SamMalone

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
"Designate one day a week (a non-workout day) where you completely ignore the diet and consume less than HALF of the calories your body needs. This is important because it keeps your body from getting used to the higher calorie intake."

Is this true? I've never heard of anyone taking a day off from eating the full 3500 calories or so before.

Interceptor

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
While I dont agree in only taking carbs after a workout, and I dont feel your explanation is sufficient, I am also puzzled about the claims that high GI carbs actually increase GH output, when research that I have looked at says the exact opposite. They report GH release is actually blunted in high insulin environments, just like those of consuming high GI carbs, especially after a workout.
True, insulin release due to a high amount of high GI carbs after a workout appear to blunt cortisol's effects,as they immediately shuttle the carbs intracellularly, but I havent seen anything that supports your claims yet.

I'm glad you're getting results though.

Thanks anyway for taking the time.
I'll keep researching.

U

user43770

Interceptor said:
While I dont agree in only taking carbs after a workout, and I dont feel your explanation is sufficient, I am also puzzled about the claims that high GI carbs actually increase GH output, when research that I have looked at says the exact opposite. They report GH release is actually blunted in high insulin environments, just like those of consuming high GI carbs, especially after a workout.
True, insulin release due to a high amount of high GI carbs after a workout appear to blunt cortisol's effects,as they immediately shuttle the carbs intracellularly, but I havent seen anything that supports your claims yet.

I'm glad you're getting results though.

Thanks anyway.
I'll keep researching.

I don't have any scientific evidence supporting it, but I've always been told to mix a couple tablespoons of sugar in with my post-workout protein shakes. Something about optimal protein absorption.

Anybody heard this?

Interceptor

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Tyte, sugar is a high GI carb.
It helps raise insulin levels quickly.
And high GI carbs after a workout, according to studies, appear to shuttle into the muscle cells, not in fat cells for storage.
So, yes, adding sugar to post workout nutrition is not bad.
I will also say that there are some people who say that vegetables after a workout are better for glycogen recoup, rather than fruits, and high GI carbs. Interesting, no?

I definitely recommend carbs (with protein, and creatine) after a workout.
I would stay away from high fructose corn syrup though!

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
insulin and growth hormone are antagonists. generally, when one is high, the other is low.

whey and amino acids are insulinogenic themselves, there is no REQUIREMENT to add a buttload of sugar to a post workout shake. if you're trying to grow it's a good idea but if you're fatter than you'd like you might as well keep them out. glycogen will always be replenished from just protein and fat - yeah it won't be as efficient as if you'd used carbs, but how 'efficient' does this need to be for the average guy in the gym? weights workouts even with moderate volume don't require all that much glycogen. if you're doing high-energy sports specific training or high volume training then carbs might be a good idea.

however why not get in nutrients post workout? dextrose is a processed carb which offers nothing nutritionally. fruit, honey, fruit juices, blackstrap molasses, things like that will restore glycogen and are a lot more nutritious than dextrose or table sugar. in terms of gains you will see no difference.

post workout nutrition is overanalysed disproportionately to its importance: if you have a 'perfect' pwo shake (which actually is gonna be something along the lines of hydrolysed whey and low molecular weight carbohydrates with several other added ingredients) and eat poorly the rest of the day, you'll gain a whole lot worse than if you eat properly all day and omit the pwo shake entirely.

in fact I never saw a difference in when I had a pwo drink and when I just came home and ate solid food. sure, you need nutrients after a workout to cover the increased needs on a training day, but it won't really make a difference for most of you whether it's in solid or liquid form.

people worry too much about the details when the basics aren't in place.

Interceptor

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
there is no REQUIREMENT to add a buttload of sugar to a post workout shake. if you're trying to grow it's a good idea but if you're fatter than you'd like you might as well keep them out
True.
I know the skinny guys want to grow, but theyre better off still not dumping sugar into their system.
Just be smart about it.
I've seen a lot of guys do either of two things, eat like sh*t, so they get fat, not muscular, or they become the supplement 'cow', taking every bbing supplement out there.I've seen guys who seem to support Muscletech by themselves. (Im not cutting down supplements, if you have the cash...great.Good for you. But supplements are best used to enhance your diet, not be the diet itself.)
Oh, and never mind that their workout consists of bench press and bicep curls every day....:rolleyes:

dbot

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If you're research show's that high GI carbs don't up your GH levels then you're probably right. But that's not why carbs are important after workout, and doesn't change the fact that carbs will fuel your body much faster (and better) than protein after high intensity exercise.

If all you eat is protein after workout than you're defeating the purpose of the post-workout meal. After workout, your body is starving for energy because it's glycogen (energy on demand) is depleted. Your body has no functional use for protein at this time, so consuming it after workout will be no different than simply waiting until your next meal. Right now, you're body is in a panic state and it's number 1 priority is to replenish your glycogen stores for energy. This is a survival tactic. Your body needs that energy for possible defense, fight or flight, etc., and will do anything to get it, and that means breaking down fat or muscle tissue, or both, and probably not in the order you'd like. If you don't want this to happen, it is your job to supply your body with the resources it needs to refuel itself.

For those of you reading this who might not know, glycogen is essentially glucose that's stored in your muscle tissue for secondary energy. Hi GI carbohydrates pretty much go straight to your blood stream (glucose). This higher blood sugar will naturally create an insulin response, which in turn shuttle's the glucose to your muscle tissue to be stored as glycogen. So basically:

carbohydrates --> glucose --> glycogen

However, your body processes protein and fat much much slower than carbohydrates (even fast whey proteins can't keep up), and by the time it has access to those resources your body will have already taken its own measures (not good). Even if that weren't the case (because I know I'm gonna get a protest regarding the absorption rate of whey), eating protein or fat as a post workout meal would still be pointless, as neither will have any significant effect on your blood sugar, nor will there be an insulin response to transport excess blood sugar (which you don't have, because all you ate was protein and fat) to your cells.

This is why I eat nothing but high GI carbs after workout, and save protein and fat for my next meal. By no means do I claim to be an expert, but I have yet to hear any solid explanation as to why anything else would be more effective.

Mike95YJ

Don Juan
Reaction score
dbot said:
Now I only work out twice per week, and each workout is around 24 minutes in length. In 4 weeks I put on 17lbs of pure muscle. Not possible, right? Wrong.
Pure bull****, theres no way. 17 lbs. of muscle in 5 weeks AHAHAHHHAHAHAH!

Bro, it takes years and maybe DECADES to put on that kind of mass natty.

Unless your on a gram of test and 8 iu HGH, you aint gaining 17 lbs. Sorry to be a debby downer, it's just not possible.

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
it doesn't take years and decades to gain 17lbs bro .. it's achievable for MOST people in less than a year provided they are consistent with training and nutrition. most guys can expect to gain 25-30lbs in their first serious year of training if everything is dialled in (but it rarely is).

dbot

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Mike95YJ said:
Pure bull****, theres no way. 17 lbs. of muscle in 5 weeks AHAHAHHHAHAHAH!

Bro, it takes years and maybe DECADES to put on that kind of mass natty.

Unless your on a gram of test and 8 iu HGH, you aint gaining 17 lbs. Sorry to be a debby downer, it's just not possible.
It was 4 weeks. Not 5. And sorry to be a negative neil, but you should probably know what you're talking about before you laugh at someone.

MetalFortress

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

constantlygettingup

Reaction score
dbot said:
If you're research show's that high GI carbs don't up your GH levels then you're probably right. But that's not why carbs are important after workout, and doesn't change the fact that carbs will fuel your body much faster (and better) than protein after high intensity exercise.

If all you eat is protein after workout than you're defeating the purpose of the post-workout meal. After workout, your body is starving for energy because it's glycogen (energy on demand) is depleted. Your body has no functional use for protein at this time, so consuming it after workout will be no different than simply waiting until your next meal. Right now, you're body is in a panic state and it's number 1 priority is to replenish your glycogen stores for energy. This is a survival tactic. Your body needs that energy for possible defense, fight or flight, etc., and will do anything to get it, and that means breaking down fat or muscle tissue, or both, and probably not in the order you'd like. If you don't want this to happen, it is your job to supply your body with the resources it needs to refuel itself.

For those of you reading this who might not know, glycogen is essentially glucose that's stored in your muscle tissue for secondary energy. Hi GI carbohydrates pretty much go straight to your blood stream (glucose). This higher blood sugar will naturally create an insulin response, which in turn shuttle's the glucose to your muscle tissue to be stored as glycogen. So basically:

carbohydrates --> glucose --> glycogen

However, your body processes protein and fat much much slower than carbohydrates (even fast whey proteins can't keep up), and by the time it has access to those resources your body will have already taken its own measures (not good). Even if that weren't the case (because I know I'm gonna get a protest regarding the absorption rate of whey), eating protein or fat as a post workout meal would still be pointless, as neither will have any significant effect on your blood sugar, nor will there be an insulin response to transport excess blood sugar (which you don't have, because all you ate was protein and fat) to your cells.

This is why I eat nothing but high GI carbs after workout, and save protein and fat for my next meal. By no means do I claim to be an expert, but I have yet to hear any solid explanation as to why anything else would be more effective.
This guy is right on. Its nice to see that every once in a while. Everybody is so hopped up on the protein bandwagon its hard to separate marketing from real science.

dbot

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
MetalFortress said:
I did NOT do spaghetti or Kraft Mac for muscle though. That's a novel idea... :p (not)
Have you tried it? You might be pleasantly surprised.

kickureface

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
a lot of sugars only replenish liver glycogen, which isn't what you are aiming for (muscle glycogen) post workout.

17lb in 4 wks is nuts nice

Caferacer

Don Juan
Reaction score
future_strongguy said:
Anyone who gets results gets shot down on this board. This happens everywhere else on the internet too. Too many scientists.
No, people who come on a board and act like their diet and their routine is the way to gain muscle and titles it "The way to gain muscle" gets shot down for being a presumptuous *******.

There is no one way. Anyone who thinks differently NEEDS to get shot down.

17lbs sounds like BS. You want us to believe you? Post pictures. 17lbs is noticable in a before and after. Until then you are taking a normal diet and a beginners routine and saying it is *the* way to gain muscle.

There is a reason PT's get paid a lot of cash for both beginners and pro's; because there is no one way to gain weight/strength/speed fast. It's taking experience and knowledge and a little luck to get what you know to work with others.

dbot

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Caferacer, did you not read the thread, or are you just stupid?

The last time I checked, the title of my post was "Gain Muscle Fast: Here's how I do it." Please show me where in the thread I stated that this is the only way to gain muscle mass.

The routine worked great for me, so I posted my results here in an effort to help and inspire people to try it. I don't have to prove anything to you or to anyone else here, so feel free to not try it if you don't think it will work. That said, maybe you can save all the newbies here from wasting their time and explain to them why this routine couldn't possibly produce the results I claimed to get.

For someone who acts like such an expert, you still have yet to contribute anything worthwhile to this thread. Maybe you should do a little more research and come back when you have something intelligent to say.

kickureface

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Caferacer said:
No, people who come on a board and act like their diet and their routine is the way to gain muscle and titles it "The way to gain muscle" gets shot down for being a presumptuous *******.

There is no one way. Anyone who thinks differently NEEDS to get shot down.

17lbs sounds like BS. You want us to believe you? Post pictures. 17lbs is noticable in a before and after. Until then you are taking a normal diet and a beginners routine and saying it is *the* way to gain muscle.

There is a reason PT's get paid a lot of cash for both beginners and pro's; because there is no one way to gain weight/strength/speed fast. It's taking experience and knowledge and a little luck to get what you know to work with others.
personally i find a LOT of PT's aren't efficient at all.

since when do pro's needs PT's? :p

Drewskie

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
What size weights/dumbells do you use? Also, did you do any type of abstomach exercise? I think I have a very similar body type to yours,and I am thinking about trying this routine.

dbot

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You want to use weights that are heavy enough for you to do no more than 8-10 reps. I don't do any abs exercises but feel free to experiment and let me know how it goes :D