Fugly's lifting journal...

Fuglydude

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
April 5th: Squat, misc. phuck around day...

Warm up:

Stretches, core work, powerclean.

Powerclean:

135 x 5 (hang)
185 x 3 (hang)
205 x 3

Back squat (below parallel)
- I couldn't find the weight belt to hang weights off my waist for weighted chins/dips. This totally messed up my intermittent spinal decompression that I do between sets of squats. This totally affected squat performance. I would have attempted the 365 today as I felt quite strong, but decided not to w/o the belt.

225 x 5 (jump)
315 x 6 (personal best for reps w/ 315)
185 x 20 (tough! was shaky at the end, but a new PR for 20 reps)

Sternum Chin ups:

BW x 8
BW x 8
BW x 8

Dips:

BW x 15

narrow underhand grip chin up:

BW x 15
BW x 10

Pistols:

30/side x 5 (tough!)
BW x 6

seated bicep curl:

30 lb dumbells x 8
30 lb dumbells x 6

Accessory calve and hamstring work.

Post WO wt: 180.

Still pissed about not having the weight belt as I felt strong today... ah well.

Fuglydude

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
April 5th: Squat, misc. phuck around day...

Warm up:

Stretches, core work, powerclean.

Powerclean:

135 x 5 (hang)
185 x 3 (hang)
205 x 3

Back squat (below parallel)
- I couldn't find the weight belt to hang weights off my waist for weighted chins/dips. This totally messed up my intermittent spinal decompression that I do between sets of squats. This totally affected squat performance. I would have attempted the 365 today as I felt quite strong, but decided not to w/o the belt.

225 x 5 (jump)
315 x 6 (personal best for reps w/ 315)
185 x 20 (tough! was shaky at the end, but a new PR for 20 reps)

Sternum Chin ups:

BW x 8
BW x 8
BW x 8

Dips:

BW x 15

narrow underhand grip chin up:

BW x 15
BW x 10

Pistols:

30/side x 5 (tough!)
BW x 6

seated bicep curl:

30 lb dumbells x 8
30 lb dumbells x 6

Accessory calve and hamstring work.

Post WO wt: 180.

Still pissed about not having the weight belt as I felt strong today... ah well.

I-tallionStallion

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Nice 20 rep squat PR! Your making good progress on all your lifts Fugly. 365 is beastly, I hope you get it.

ATP

Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks for clearing that up for me. Have you ever tried rotator cuff work? It has cured the shoulder issue for both me and two of the people I train with. One guy had pain in his shoulder for about a year before he tried it and now he swears by it and do it almost religiously.

Ah fair enough, back is still looking good though, better than 95% of the people I'd say.

Grats on the squat PRs as well. You're ahead of me by one damn rep and one kg in the squat :cuss:

Fuglydude

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I-tallion... I better get it! It took me long enough to finally get to a double bodyweight squat!

ATP, yeah, I always warm up my rotator cuffs lightly prior to upper body sessions. My shoulders often feel like they're "out". This often happens after I wake up. I have to "snap" them into place... they literally make a popping noise and feel a lot more stable afterwards. Not sure if I have rotator cuff connective tissue problems... but it all started when I first started snatching heavy. Got to around 70 kg, before I noticed that I was having issues.

I think I'll have to contend w/ shoulder problems for the rest of my life. Just gotta be able to develop a nice strong thick upper back to compensate I guess. I'm pretty weary of doing flat barbell bench, push press and overhead barbell work as these all cause flare ups in my shoulders. Dumbells seem to work better though, so I stick to them. Its definitely a lot better than it was in the past.

Jitterbug

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Good to see you're over BW x20 in squat!

Next, 200lbs x20! :)

Btw have you ever looked into surgery to correct your shoulder issues?

ATP

Don Juan
Reaction score
Oh, that sounds horrible, yet another shoulder casualty for the damn olympic lifting. Talked to an olympic dude who is one of the best lifters in my country (he has set records) and he told me that nearly everyone had one problem or another with their shoulders after lifting for many years. Doing good form was just a way to extend the time you could lift injury free. It was a real downer to hear stuff like that.

I hope your shoulder doesn't give you too much grief though, it would be really sweet if you nailed that goal of yours.

Drum&Bass

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You need to use your joints or else you run the risk of arthritis unfortunately the more you use your joints the worse they become because of bone spurs.

Your damned if you do and damned if you don't...

Our bodies were designed to function and develop well during the younger half of our years and slowly break down and deteriorate from the same things that helped us as we get older.

The universes' way from keeping us living healthy forever.

i wonder what the shoulder health is like with those crossfit kids and their daily 100 rep over head workouts.

Fuglydude

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Jitter... ya, about friggin time I got to >BW x 20. Was a tough set though!

I work in healthcare (critical care), and one thing I'll never do is get fairly major elective surgery unless its seriously affecting my quality of life. The human body isn't meant to be slashed open and phucked around with, unless there is a serious reason to do that. Unless you're getting minimally invasive surgery like arthroscopic knee work, or laproscopic hernia repairs (like Kerpal had), etc, the healing/recovery time and risk for complications is a pain in the ass to contend with. Furthermore, shoulders aren't simple joints... Its a subspecialty for the orthopedic surgical service. I know one of top shoulder surgeons in Canada, and I'd imagine it would be a LONG wait to get in to see him. My shoulders are actually a lot better than they were a few years back. I'm still pressing +100 for reps on incline dumbell press and doing heavy weighted pull up/dips... so obviously I'm not totally gimped.

ATP... yes sadly, throwing around even light weights for lifts like snatch, and clean and jerk put A LOT of stress on joints. Technique issues combined w/ existing weakness/imbalances is a recipe for injury... as I have found out. I think the 275 will come around. Might be a slow process though. The most I've ever pressed or reverse grip bench is 245 x 1. I've done 260 x 1 for narrow grip bench several years back as well when I was training for sledding. I'd rather have a 500+ deadlift and a 400+ squat than a heavy bench though!

Fuglydude

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
April 9th.

Upper body push/pull work today. Didn't feel 100%. Got annoying cold bug that I think I picked up in San fran.

Warm up w/ light core work, stretches, dumbell snatch.

dumbell snatch

90 x 1 per side

Incline dumbell press:

35 x 8
110 x 6
110 x 3 (outta gas)
40 x 10

Dumbell row:

110 x 12
110 x 10
40 x 15

Reverse grip Bench (mostly speed work):

165 x 8
165 x 8

Wide Grip Chin ups:

BW x 15
BW x 10

Various other shoulder, chest, back work. Didn't feel great today, so just did rep work and worked out for the contraction rather than throw around any serious weight. Gotta love machines when you feel lazy!

Post WO wt = 179.

ATP

Don Juan
Reaction score
Aye, a heavy deadlift feels more impressive than a heavy bench, especially if the bench is shirted. There just are no shortcuts on the deadlift when you lift, you can either lift it or not and there is no equipment that help out much.

Speaking of deadlifts though, do you think a speed deadlifts olympic style could give about the same effect as a powerclean? I'm not sure about my technique and I don't wanna **** up shoulders or elbows by using the wrong form.

Fuglydude

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
ATP, in my opinion, nothing really compares to olympic lifting as the human body simply cannot generate that sort of POWER (mad/t) doing anything else. The kind of wattage you can generate w/ a heavy clean is actually pretty cool! Even w/ modest weight.

I've never been a huge fan of speed deadlift work as my lower back is quick to fatigue. I believe the deadlift is a brute strength exercise. There isn't all much technique associated w/ deads, compared to say a clean. For myself, if I can get the weight above the "sticking point" I can use my back to grind it up. My legs strength has always been the weak link w/ deads. Now that my squats are improving, I've noticed a 25 lb improvement in my deads over the last few months.

I've said this before, but I'd advocate that you do heavy ass back work to improve your deads. You're biomechanically a good squatter, so your weak link is likely your back. Cleans, heavy Kroc rows, weighted pull up work, heavy rows will really help your back strength.

Just work on your technique w/ the clean. I personally don't notice any joint issues w/ cleans unless I start doing higher volume work w/ heavier weight. I'd also suggest that you NEVER do more than 5 reps/set w/ a clean as higher reps = fatigue and this can lead to crappier form = more injury risk. This is especially true when you're using a heavier weight.

Fuglydude

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Haven't updated this thing in a long ass time.

Currently in the process of coming off cycle. Tightening diet and training up. Have to do cardio 3x/wk so I don't get fat. Training w/ lighter resistances and higher rep ranges... and doing more "bodybuilding" type movements rather than power/olympic lifting stuff that I normally do.

Still deadlifting 460+ for a single, doing pull ups/dips for reps w/ a 100 lbs around my waist and comfortably incline pressing 100 lb dumbells for 6-8 reps.

Bodyweight sitting around 175-178.

Definitely notice my recovery ability is NOTHING EVEN close to what it was before. If I do a heavy deadlift session, I've semi-gimped 3 or more days now! This is why less volume and lower resistances are warranted.

Squat days is next...

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Why bother coming off :)?

I'm worried about this talk of "bodybuilding" movements, you should still be doing your power/olympic lifting stuff! As long as the deads are there I suppose!

What kind of cardio are you doing?

Welcome to the suck...

Colossus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yup, I'm in the same boat.

I've maintained my weight and size, but man after a deadlift session I was fried to the bone. I had to immediately come home and take a contrast shower, then I was physically worthless the rest of the day. I didn't even touch my last PR.

Learning the hard way I have to scale my intensity back and deload monthly when off.

If I wasnt concerned about long-term health risks, I would definitely stay on!!

Fuglydude

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Come on Quag, I just wanna be able to walk around in a thong w/ fake tan all over me! Don't worry though, I still squat and stuff :rockon:

Ya I wouldn't come off if there weren't any health risks. However, since I've stopped dancing and I can't really justify staying on. I have to work a lot harder w/ respect to diet and lifestyle to maintain the same physique and lifts. I'd need to try and be more disciplined.

The most crappy thing about being off is the lack of recovery and greater propensity to injury. Since coming off my wrists have flaired up more and right shoulder has been hurt a few times. Lower back also takes a long time to recover.

May 6th: Squats

Smoke a joint before this work out to focus on form. I'm considerably more aware of my body

Powercleans:

135 x 5 (hang)
155 x 5 (hang)
185 x 3
205 x 1

ATG Back squat... really focused on going quite low and having good form:

185 x 12
225 x 12 (totally gassed afterwards)
245 x 7

Hate high rep squats!!

Weighted Dips:

(BW + 90) x 8
(BW + 90) x 6
(BW + 90) x 6

Pistols:

BW x 6
BW x 5

Finished with bicep curls.

Fuglydude

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
May 11th: Deads/Push

Slowly getting back into things here... this was my first sober work out in the last 5 weeks. I was smoking a joint before training for the last 5 weeks to limit heavy lifting and really focus on form, etc. ... Change up helped for coming off cycle, as my body couldn't tolerate the volume/intensity that I was training with before. Injuries started to creep up...

Anyways here's today:

- Warm up w/ stretching and power cleans.

Powercleans:

135 x 5 (hang)
215 x 1

Deads:

315 x 1
405 x 5 (I know I could have done 6, but saved myself for rest of the WO)
405 x 5
405 x 1 (static hold for 20-30 seconds)

Weighted Dips: (Did some weighted dips on may 10th so not as strong)

(BW + 90) x 8
(BW + 90) x 6
(BW + 90) x 6

Incline dumbell press: shoulder issues preventing me from going heavy here

55 x 10 (really focusing on contraction)
55 x 10

Super set these w/ lateral raises.

Dumbell row:

55 x 10 (focus on contraction)
55 x 10

Reverse Grip Bench:

155 x 6 (speed work)
155 x 3 (very slow controlled movement... difficult when going slow)

Pull ups:

BW x 20
BW x 10

Post WO wt = 173. ... Shooting for a 2.75x BW deadlift sometime this summer!

Fuglydude

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
May 15th: Squats and stuff...

Been doing cardio and light arm work last couple of days, so thought I'd actually do a real work out today.

Warm up w/ stretches, core work and hang cleans.

Hang clean

135 x 5
185 x 3

Deep Squat:

225 x 20 ...

WTF??? This was crazy, I never thought I'd be able to do this at a body weight in the low-170 lb range! This set basically destroyed me, but man I was stoked afterwards! I think being letter = better conditioning, which really helped me to get this. My current resting HR is in the mid 50s, down from the mid 70s when I was 180 on cycle.

225 x 8 (felt weak and tired after the last set)
225 x 8 (see above)

Weighted dips:

(BW + 90) x 6
(BW + 115) x 6

Weighted Pull ups:

(BW + 90) x 8 (felt quite explosive... could have done 1-2 more)
(BW + 90) x 8
(BW + 100) x 4 (shouldn't have attempted this at this point in my session)

Pistols:

20/side x 5
BW x 3 (tired!)

Finished w/ light curls and leg extensions.

Post WO wt = 171.5 ... Still very happy w/ the 225 x 20! Gotta help my buddy move tomorrow... should be interesting :nervous:

Fuglydude

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Update May 18th.... push/pull day... mostly pull

I've been training 10 days in a row now. By training I mean either weights or light cardio (walking uphill on a treadmill) and have also helped my buddy move one day. Calories have been in the 3000 range, and protein ~200 g/day. I've been off cycle for around 7 weeks now... and feel amazing! Resting heart rate is down in the mid-50s, BP 110s/60s-70s... feel great! Can't remember the last time I felt this good.

I'm around 5'8"-173 lbs, and recently blew away my previous personal best for 20 rep squats even though I was on cycle. I'm definitely becoming a believer in the G-flux training that Dr. John Berardi has explored. Here's a out link:

http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/nutrition/g-flux.htm

Anyways, todays work out:

Warm up with core, shoulder/delt stretches.

Incline dumbell press:

90 x 8 (felt quite easy... shoulders are becoming less sore... 100 lbs next time)
90 x 7

Dumbell rows:

90 x 20 (Kroc row)
90 x 10 (more controlled form)

Attempted incline dumbell flys:

22.5 x 8

Reverse Grip Bench:

155 x 6
185 x 5
205 x 4

Chin ups:

Sternum chins (hammer grip): BW x 8
Underhand narrow grip: BW x 18

Hang clean:

185 x 3
195 x 1 (this was scary... not something to attempt at the end of a WO)

Split Jerk:

145 x 3

High Pull:

135 x 5
145 x 3

Stiff leg deads:

135 x 8

Post WO wt = 173.