Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

friendzone / emotional tampon signs?

ne0phyte

Don Juan
Reaction score
hey guys,

need a few clarifications about signs that you're in the friendzone. if Girl A tells you about problems w her bf, talks about "cute" other guys, etc , its obvious. but what if she tells you about problems with her sister's bf?

the context is me and Girl A are eating dinner together and she brings up how she is going to visit her sister back home, and that her sister is having a rough time.

i should have thought about what to say next but curiosity got the best of me and i said, "that sux, why?" and the story about her sister and her relationship issues come out.

i kinda walked into that one without thinking. am i becoming her emotional tampon? if so, tips to avoid it in the future? if i'm friendzoned, i'm friendzoned, but i still don't want to be that guy to listens to all her problems. but be as brutal as necessary guys, i learn better from the pain haha

some background info - Girl A has a bf and is in my close social circle. We almost hooked up at a bar but i decided it wasn't worth the drama/ losing my circle of friends. she has seemed interested, since me dating other girls, and being scarce has made her more active in trying to spend time with me. I ended up having dinner alone with her bc another friend in our group bailed at the last second.

Audiophile

Don Juan
Reaction score
Short answer, yes. Tips to avoid it: action. Try avoiding conversation as much with this girl as you can, why is she so worthy of your time? Why do you give a sh!t about what she has to say? Just be straight with her, tell her "I'm not one to talk to about such things", or something on that matter. If you had dinner with her and nothing happened after, chances are nothing will happen. This girl has a boyfriend, next her and learn from your mistakes. Less talk, more action. At least you recognized your problem, in that you were being used as an "emotional tampon".

runner83

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Ok, so you are having dinner with a girl who has a bf and you haven't even had s8x with?

And you want to know how to avoid her talking with you about all her problems?

What in the name of sweet baby jesus are you thinking?

Presumably you want to still keep her in your group of friends though?

Try to avoid situations like this, by focusing on action (like the other poster said). Action is men's strong point, and women's weak point.

Men DO stuff, whereas women talk about stuff. Don't get dragged into conversation, where women have the most power.

Scars

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
From my experience, a girl opening up to you doesn't necessarily mean the friendzone, as long as you are keeping the conversations sexual and flirty most of the time. It's all about having a pair, guys in the friendzone hide their sexual desire and slowly become the emotional tampon. As long as you keep it light, flirty, and friendly, you still have a chance. A skilled PUA could even seize the window of opportunity to shut out the current boyfriend and have his way with her. Remember, rapport is also very important. Most girls won't sleep with a guy they don't trust. But there is a fine line between being a good listener and being a good doormat.

-Scars

Zarky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Are you banging her? If yes, then you're not in the friend zone. If no, then you're in the friend zone. Quite simple really.

ne0phyte

Don Juan
Reaction score
thanks guys. it's over with this one, guess i didn't deflect enough. i made a thread about the situation with this girl earlier (http://www.sosuave.net/forum/showthread.php?t=180478). with my current level of skill (or lack of it), my priority of keeping my social circle intact and with how much time we are stuck together at school, friendzoning seemed pretty likely.

the only reason i had dinner with her was bc it was after school (we are age 23 in grad school if that matters) and 3 of us (all friends) were just going to grab something at a local diner. Then the other one had to go and I was stuck with her. she never talked about her feelings, just how her sister's ex-bf cheated on her (after i asked why? when she said her sister was having a rough time).

personally, I don't think girls I'm interested in usually friendzone me, since I ask for their number from the get go. That definitely shows sexual desire, right?

But for future self-improvement, i realize I need help with showing more of my sexual nature. especially with situations like this where a girl already has a BF. I have no idea how to do it because I'm not sure how to do it without it seeming creepy. Also, do I only do it when I'm alone with a girl? or can it be done when we're in groups?

I'm over this one, just trying to learn as much as I can. I'll probably ask this in a new thread

Zarky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
be a little creepy. If you have a smile on your face and laid-back body language when you're being sexual, then you'll do just fine and you won't be friend-zoned. Some chicks will know you want sex and will tell you no, but that's better than FZ.

JYW

Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm in school also, so I definitely know where you're coming from on this one. I find that teasing really helps to steer convos onto a more sensual direction.

In an academic environment, I find that girls do not readily show their sexual desires. So it is on us to escalate VERY slowly. For me I usually feed off any kind of sexual tension. As long as the group is okay with remarks like "That's what she said", then it will make your job a lot easier. If you're not in a 1v1 situation, then social dynamics is key.

Oh, and see how she reacts to sexual undertones in your conversations. That's always valuable info to know.

ne0phyte

Don Juan
Reaction score
zarky, I understand the whole being sexually direct and being turned down is better than the FZ, but because shes a "friend" by default due to being in my social circle, it's going to be mad awkward since me or her can't eject out of the situation without losing our other friends.

I think at most I can do little subtle things, like JYW said. crack a few sexual jokes and see how she responds from there. but again, i'm trying to learn how to incorporate sexual flirting more generally

Igetit!

Reaction score
In a nutshell,Zarky is right. He probably could have broke it down a little bit more to help you better understand,but ultimately that's what it's all going to boil down to.

You don't actually have to be just straight out "banging her",but there HAS TO BE SOMETHING SEXUAL going on BESIDES JUST WORDS AND TALKING.

So if you're not "banging her",you at least should be doing some or all of the things that lead up to banging her or having sex,ESPECIALLY IF you've known each other for a while.

ne0phyte said:
hey guys,

need a few clarifications about signs that you're in the friendzone. if Girl A tells you about problems w her bf, talks about "cute" other guys, etc , its obvious. but what if she tells you about problems with her sister's bf?
It doesn't matter if she's discussing her own personal problems,her sister's or someone else's,it's still a possible sign of being friendzoned.

If she mentioned it,you discussed it for a minute or two,then went on to something more fun or exciting,you may be ok,but if you linger on it,then once it's over,it's on to another problem or issue,uhhh yeah,friendzone.

ne0phyte said:
the context is me and Girl A are eating dinner together and she brings up how she is going to visit her sister back home, and that her sister is having a rough time.

i should have thought about what to say next but curiosity got the best of me and i said, "that sux, why?" and the story about her sister and her relationship issues come out.

i kinda walked into that one without thinking. am i becoming her emotional tampon? if so, tips to avoid it in the future?

If you've known this girl for only a short time and this topic she brought up about her sister is just something discussed in passing,you might be ok,but if she REPEATEDLY talks to you about problems and issues REGUARDLESS OF WHO THOSE ISSUES BELONG TO,then yeah,you're her E tampon,and you're friendzoned.

ne0phyte said:
some background info - Girl A has a bf and is in my close social circle. We almost hooked up at a bar but i decided it wasn't worth the drama/ losing my circle of friends.
A few questions here....

When you say that you two "almost hooked up",what does that mean?

Did you almost kiss,go somewhere and have sex,or what? Also,who initiated this "almost hookup",how long had you known each other when this happened,and most importantly....WHAT WERE YOU DOING OR SAYING TO HER/EACH OTHER in the moments leading up to it?

Try to answer these as accurately as you can.

ne0phyte

Don Juan
Reaction score
igetit, i'm pretty sure i'm in the friendzone now, just trying to learn as much as I can from this.
to answer your questions -

You don't actually have to be just straight out "banging her",but there HAS TO BE SOMETHING SEXUAL going on BESIDES JUST WORDS AND TALKING. If she mentioned it,you discussed it for a minute or two,then went on to something more fun or exciting,you may be ok,but if you linger on it,then once it's over,it's on to another problem or issue,uhhh yeah,friendzone.
1. lately all that I have been doing is verbally flirting - and that's rare too since we're rarely alone (always in a study group). when we are alone, i flirt with her more, and do some kino, but haven't been doing much in terms of sexual stuff (other than that one time at the bar) what are somethings that I could have done better in this area?

If you've known this girl for only a short time and this topic she brought up about her sister is just something discussed in passing,you might be ok,but if she REPEATEDLY talks to you about problems and issues REGUARDLESS OF WHO THOSE ISSUES BELONG TO,then yeah,you're her E tampon,and you're friendzoned.
2. she did mention it in passing, and i moved the convo back to light/fun, in the moment type of stuff. she has never continually mentioned problems (i'd also be an idiot not to recognize the FZ if she did). But we've known each other for 4 months now.

When you say that you two "almost hooked up",what does that mean?
Did you almost kiss,go somewhere and have sex,or what? Also,who initiated this "almost hookup",how long had you known each other when this happened,and most importantly....WHAT WERE YOU DOING OR SAYING TO HER/EACH OTHER in the moments leading up to it?
the night we went out, it was about 1 month after we met. it was our group of friends celebrating the end of our first tests. I've made no moves on her at all (since i've never tried going for a taken girl) and had no plans that night either. I was just having a good time, talking to everyone and letting loose. We already had been drinking before hand and I've been escalating kino, more playful touches, hugs etc. At the bar, she got mad after I had been ignoring her. I was sitting down talking to another girl when she came over, grabbed my hand and said, dance with me.

we go to the dance floor and she is grinding her body on me. we do this for a while. we walk off the dance floor away from our friends. flirt for a little bit. i'm playfully stroking her hair, my hands on her and she's wrapped around me. we get shots at the bar and that's when I was making my move to kiss her. I slowed things down. stopped talking, and just looked in her eyes with a smile. our hands are around each other and right when I'm about to kiss her, one of our mutual friends finds us and grabs us and says we gotta go. dude gives me a look too (the she has a bf, wtf are u doing look).

here's the full story for you(or anyone else who wants to break it down down).

in short, i'm interested in a girl who's in my close social circle who has a BF, and I don't want to cheat. A ONS won't be worth losing my social circle, and ruining my chances with the other girls, since it's a very small school (80 students in grad program, we are both 23). So the tricky part is, the only time I would go for her, is if she and her BF broke up. How could I have avoided the friendzone during that time, even though we spend a lot of mandatory time together in class, and with mutual friends? U said avoiding the friendzone is easy, but I didn't know how to avoid it with the methods I know on a girl with a BF. (what i know is basically just being sexually direct, asking her out and walking away, or openly being sexual with her - being in the same social circle and seeing each other in class everyday complicate things).

here's the story with how everything started. I met HB9 at an orientation party for a small masters program that we're both in. make small talk, i walk away after a bit to talk with other girls (be mysterious/challenge, show i'm not just into her). I couldn't find her again, so I left. Next day she facebooks me, so I add her. her fb says she's in a relationship, so I instantly "next" her in my mind.

coincidentally, one of the girls that lives in the same apt building as me who I friend (so she can give me rides to school if my car breaks down) is HB9's best friend. My guy friends also hang out with the girl in the apartment building, so instantly we are in the same social circle.

since school started in september, our social group has been very close and we spend a lot of time together (studying + eating). I believe in karma, so I didn't make any moves going after a taken girl. At the same time, I wasn't AFC in doing whatever she says, or trying to spend all my time with her (although we do spend a lot of time in study groups, but other ppl are there as well).

one time, we all go drinking, and she gets hot and heavy for me. leads me away from the group and is practically begging me to kiss her (talking to me with her face inches from mine, with unblinking eye contact, arms around me. we are going to different places around the bar, getting drinks and when i was about to kiss her, one of our friends found us and told us to head back. It was then when I decided not to go for it.

Because of how small our school is, and that we're in the same social circle, i decided not to go with it. theres 80 people in our program, and I was afraid that hooking up with a girl who has a BF will spread to all the other girls and ruin my chances with them, and make me lose my social circle (in ur perspective, is that true, should I have anyway, or was there a way around it?).
The next day, i was expecting her to be like "oh i got really drunk, i don't remember anything", to subtly play off what happened. Instead she said she "strangely remembered everything and had a fun time". (continuing sign of interest?)

next weekend she says shes going back home to hang out with her friends (its also where her BF lives) and invites me to go with her (I declined, said i was busy). At this point, I see her every day in class, and when our study group gets together (This is as much as I can minimize our time together).

After that I start dating another girl and that makes her really jealous. (but like you said in that other thread, that could just be she's missing the attention I had been giving her, right?).

Now it's the new semester, and i ended up having dinner alone with HB9, completely due to chance. it was supposed to be a study group dinner, but something came up with the other person and couldn't make it.

That's when HB9 started talking about her sister having a bad start to the new year, and I stupidly asked why, and she tells me how her sister's BF cheated on her. HB9's never talked about her problems with her own BF to me, or mentioned other classic friendzone signs. But my gut and other DJs on this forum tell me that this is one of them (right?)

That's basically it. I'm trying not to get tripped up on this girl, but I am trying to learn as much as I can from it. I've never been in a situation like this (potential branchswing?), so if you could break it down for me, tell me what things I could have done, or should not have done, it would be much appreciated.

It's not for this girl, but for the next haha. Thanks again for the help

Igetit!

Reaction score
ne0phyte said:
igetit, i'm pretty sure i'm in the friendzone now, just trying to learn as much as I can from this.
to answer your questions -
Well if you are friendzoned,and you know it without a shadow of a doubt,then just forget it. The friendzone ALONE is basically impossble to overcome,and you have that hurdle,PLUS her already having a boyfriend.

So just drop it with her.

ne0phyte said:
1. lately all that I have been doing is verbally flirting - and that's rare too since we're rarely alone (always in a study group). when we are alone, i flirt with her more, and do some kino, but haven't been doing much in terms of sexual stuff (other than that one time at the bar) what are somethings that I could have done better in this area?
The friendzone is EASY to avoid. You just simply have to show your interest in a girl FROM THE BEGINNING. It's as simple as just asking her out. And you know what? EVEN IF SHE REJECTS YOU,you're still better off than being friendzoned. I've went out with girls who've turned me down before,but I've never...EVER dated a girl who friendzoned me. Not one.

Trick is,you have to show your interest from the getgo. You can't spend weeks or months laughing,joking,and playing around with her day after day,then after 2 or three months of this you ask her out. The reason why is because women are emotional.

The SECOND you meet a girl,bonding has started. And she bonds to the "YOU" that you FIRST PRESENTED to her. So if you laugh,joke,and play around WITHOUT BEING SEXUAL,then "emotionally" she'll bond to the NON-SEXUAL "YOU". Then when you finally do decide to show your sexual side 3 months down the line,you'll make her uncomfortable because that's a side of you she's never seen. That's why you hear girls say stuff like,"I can't see you that way" or "I don't like you like that".

ne0phyte said:
2. she did mention it in passing, and i moved the convo back to light/fun, in the moment type of stuff. she has never continually mentioned problems
While steering clear of serious topics,such as problems and issue is good,it alone isn't enough.

It's not enough to simply avoid certain topics,you also have to direct the convo ONTO specific topics as well,such as the TWO OF YOU seeing EACH OTHER. How can you two date or have sex with each other,if the subject of you two dating and/or having sex with each other never comes up?

You can't. So have you two ever spoken about the two of you? If not,and you've known her for four months,then yeah,it's probably over.

ne0phyte said:
the night we went out, it was about 1 month after we met. it was our group of friends celebrating the end of our first tests. I've made no moves on her at all (since i've never tried going for a taken girl) and had no plans that night either. I was just having a good time, talking to everyone and letting loose. We already had been drinking before hand and I've been escalating kino, more playful touches, hugs etc. At the bar, she got mad after I had been ignoring her.

So she got mad because you were ignoring her. Hmm. Then she dragged you to the dancefloor,and that's where you two almost kissed.

Yeahhh. I don't think she's interested in you. I don't think that this "almost make out session" qualifies as interest on her part. She dragged you to the dancefloor not out of attraction or interest,but out of jealousy.

You said.....
I was sitting down talking to another girl when she came over, grabbed my hand and said, dance with me.

She pulled an AW (Attention whore) move. She didn't take you to the dancefloor because she wanted you,she did it because she wanted your attention. There's a difference between her grabbing you because SHE WANTED YOU,and grabbing you to keep you from someone else.

That wasn't out of interest. It was out of catty female jealousy.

ne0phyte said:
here's the full story for you(or anyone else who wants to break it down down).

in short, i'm interested in a girl who's in my close social circle who has a BF, and I don't want to cheat. A ONS won't be worth losing my social circle, and ruining my chances with the other girls, since it's a very small school (80 students in grad program, we are both 23).
I understand you not wanting to damage your social circle,and you're right about that,but I doubt it would have ruined your chances with other girls in the school. Women ARE NOT like us man. They WOULD NOT have been turned off to you. Yeah,they probably would have talked down about you,but inside,they'd probably been attracted to you themselves.

I know that sounds crazy,but it's true. Ask any of the other members here,they'll tell you.

ne0phyte said:
So the tricky part is, the only time I would go for her, is if she and her BF broke up. How could I have avoided the friendzone during that time, even though we spend a lot of mandatory time together in class, and with mutual friends?
You can't. The ONLY WAY to avoid the friendzone with a girl who's taken is.....

1:Show your interest as soon as you can,then....

2:GET THE HELL AWAY FROM HER AS FAR AS YOU CAN.

You CANNOT AVOID THE FRIENDZONE with a girl who you laugh,talk with,and see everyday,especially if all this time you're with her you're NOT SHOWING INTEREST. If you're around her every day,you get friendzoned by DEFAULT.

Emotions ARE NOT SUBJECT to "reason". If you don't show your sexual side to a girl REGUARDLESS OF THE "reason",it's friendzone by default. Your "reason" may be legit,but her FEELINGS won't care. You may avoid hitting on her because she's taken,and that's a good "reason",but EMOTIONALLY,it won't matter..

ALL SHE KNOWS is that she feels no attraction for you. And if you go,"Well I didn't do anything sexual because you were already in a relationship",it doesn't matter because EMOTIONS AREN'T SUBECT TO REASON.

I say let this one go,but the next girl you come across who you like,flirt and tease her FROM THE GETGO. Toss out a compliment,maybe a neg or two,then ask her when you two are going out. That's it. That ALONE will insulate you from being friendzoned NO MATTER WHAT HER RESPONSE IS.

ne0phyte

Don Juan
Reaction score
thanks for breaking it down for me man.

the hang ups i had was showing interest in a taken girl since I've never tried going for that b4. I know the whole "show interest and walk the hell away" to avoid the FZ, but being in the same small social circle, i don't know how I could have walked away. Can you even do that? be in the same social circle and not get FZ?

also, I was worried about my reputation if I made out with her, but if this happens again with another girl, I'll just take your guys' words on it actually helping me than hurting me with the ladies.

MurdocNiccals

Don Juan
Reaction score
Here's my advice:

Think of a girl in your social circle. Think of the guys that are obsessed with her that she will "NEVER" be attracted to (there are usually some in a social circle situation, some may practically stalk her), basically, if you seem to be "one of them" you are in it. If you can distance yourself from them you have a shot.

Think about their behaviour around her and make sure you DO NOT fall into the same patterns that they do:

1) Needy
2) Obsessed & clingy
3) She has power over them

Distance yourself from that. When you find yourself slipping into that pattern that's the danger zone. Step back, even if she is not interested at you at some stage, as long as you stay out of that danger zone then you are okay to keep trying things. If you DO slip into that zone you need to reclaim your power by lowering her pedestal and heightening your own. Not "seeing yourself as the prize" but more along the lines of talking as if you aren't that interested in her AKA don't care about her reactions too much.

If a girl just "doesn't like you in that way" but you aren't one of those guys, you just haven't done enough to attract her and you are not friendzoned forever. Try new things and new approaches, see if you can playfully tease her more, heighten yourself above her in your mind. Try everything you can until it works.

On the off-chance that nothing works, you might just be fugly/fat. That's your cue to lose some weight.

I honestly believe the friendzone is VERY RARELY forever, as long as you can notice and change the bad patterns you have gotten into when you talk to her and start connecting with her in a new way. Often girls say the friendzone is forever but that's because very very few guys change their behaviour (not sure why, they must not understand acting the same way around her and expecting a different result is borderline retarded)

However I have never been best-friends with a girl so maybe for you guys who (I have NO idea why ANYONE would do this!) become close friends with a girl without flirting with her every so often (even if you're not interested, as you might become interested in the future) it might be a different kettle of fish. Basically, to quote a guy earlier who's post rings a bell with me majorly:
From my experience, a girl opening up to you doesn't necessarily mean the friendzone, as long as you are keeping the conversations sexual and flirty most of the time.
Always do that, even if you aren't interested, because if one day you change you're mind it's going to HURT YOU.

NEVER become close friends with a girl without making sure there's potential to change it if she suddenly morphs into Jessica Alba overnight.

Source:
Real life experience & real life knowledge

MurdocNiccals

Don Juan
Reaction score
ne0phyte said:
zarky, I understand the whole being sexually direct and being turned down is better than the FZ, but because shes a "friend" by default due to being in my social circle, it's going to be mad awkward since me or her can't eject out of the situation without losing our other friends.

I think at most I can do little subtle things, like JYW said. crack a few sexual jokes and see how she responds from there. but again, i'm trying to learn how to incorporate sexual flirting more generally
Haha my female friend told me I "sexually flirt" a lot, I didn't know it was an actual term you guys use...

It's not so hard really, a lot of conversational hooks can be used to steer things that way. She went on holiday to a beach? Bikini tan lines... Topless beaches... Be playful and fun she will roll with most that you say, eg say to her "oh I bet you were visiting all the topless beaches haha :p" you can take it further after she responds.

Many many hooks can get you into those sorts of conversations.

Don't make sex jokes. Use/create conversational hooks and you can get there in a natural and flirty way where she is likely to respond well. For instance if you have nothing to go on, using the example I just gave of holidays, BRING UP a beach holiday you had, and ask her if she's had any holidays like that, and then you're in.

Most of the time if you are playful they will respond jokingly back (ie "haha yes of course") and you can talk about her tits xD... Dunno how I would, maybe something like "well at least you won't get those weird tan lines on your boobs :p" and take it further from there.

This is just an example, many many many topics can lead you there!

ne0phyte

Don Juan
Reaction score
well i'm definitely not trying to spend all my time with her, it just ends up that way because of our study group. other than that, i'm out living my life. from what igetit! has said, it seems impossible not to be friendzoned in my situation. i figure she woulda dropped more obvious signs by now if she was doing a branchswing. since she hasn't i'm gonna side with igetit and say shes just an attention *****.

that's why i said i'm pretty sure "i'm just a friend". i'm not even going to bother flirting with her, other than maybe practice for future girls haha. but thanks for some tips on steering the conversation onto sexual topics.