Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

For those of you interested in CARS!

Crazy Asian

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm about to buy a car and I've narrowed it down to a few choices.
For me, I'm looking for a car that's fun to drive and fast as well.

I actually found a 2002 BMW e46 M3 in VERY GOOD condition and only 42k miles for 21k.... but my dad says it's too "powerful" and he's worried about my safety haha.

Here are my choices:

2007 Mazdaspeed 3 - $16,800 < 20k mi

2003 Corvette Z06 - $19,950; 65k mi

2006 Pontiac GTO - $18,999; 20k mi

New/2008 Honda Civic SI

I've heard good things about the mazdaspeed 3, but the Z06 and GTO are much faster. I'm not sure why a 2003 Z06 is only 19k. The price scares me a little.... is there anyway I can check it out to see if it's in decent condition? The honda civic si is cheap enough that my dad says I can get a new one, or a 2008. I heard it's fun to drive, but it's slow as ell compared to these other cars.

I just started becoming interested in cars so I don't know a lot. Those of you that know a lot about cars, help me out here. Which one would you choose and why? Or is there another car that I'm overlooking that I should consider?

Wiesman44

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
i've got an '06 GTO with corsa catback exhaust, volant intake, headers, and a dynotune. I'm putting down 410 hp at the wheels, which is probably about 470 hp at the crank. Even when it was stock, i was blown away at how fast it was. The first time i did a 0-60 run, it literally scared me.

If you are indeed 17, you are much too young for any of these cars. Go buy a honda civic, and when you total it, you won't feel as bad.

But now you're going to bash me and say I don't know what i'm talking about. of course you're a responisble driver, and this won't happen to you, lol.

Oh by the way, I pay $1300 per year for insurance with a perfect driving history, $1000 collision and comprehensive deductible, and bare minimums on liability, and they don't know whats under my hood. I suspect yours will be about $3,000 - $4,000. Do you really want to piss away all that money on insurance ?

Z06 should be out of the question. Not very practical car, as they handle even worse than my gto in rain. I've got to be very careful in rain, b/c even in dry conditions its WAAAY too easy to break the tires loose. Forget snow with both cars. You can't fit ANYTHING in either cars. Z06 is even worse with trunk space.

Repair parts are through the roof with m3's. Diagnostics / scanners on the BMW are a nightmare. Even the Snap-on scanners will take a couple hoursto diagnose certain problems that will take about 8 mins on a Ford.

If you have a LOT of money, and don't use those 3 as a daily driver, then go ahead. But none of those 3 cars are daily drivers.

Go with the CIVIC Si. DOn't know a thing about the mazda speed though

Monster

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
hey kid get the Si (which is already decently fast) and then when you know how to drive get something better

Crazy Asian

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Wiesman44 said:
i've got an '06 GTO with corsa catback exhaust, volant intake, headers, and a dynotune. I'm putting down 410 hp at the wheels, which is probably about 470 hp at the crank. Even when it was stock, i was blown away at how fast it was. The first time i did a 0-60 run, it literally scared me.

If you are indeed 17, you are much too young for any of these cars. Go buy a honda civic, and when you total it, you won't feel as bad.

But now you're going to bash me and say I don't know what i'm talking about. of course you're a responisble driver, and this won't happen to you, lol.

Oh by the way, I pay $1300 per year for insurance with a perfect driving history, $1000 collision and comprehensive deductible, and bare minimums on liability, and they don't know whats under my hood. I suspect yours will be about $3,000 - $4,000. Do you really want to piss away all that money on insurance ?

Z06 should be out of the question. Not very practical car, as they handle even worse than my gto in rain. I've got to be very careful in rain, b/c even in dry conditions its WAAAY too easy to break the tires loose. Forget snow with both cars. You can't fit ANYTHING in either cars. Z06 is even worse with trunk space.

Repair parts are through the roof with m3's. Diagnostics / scanners on the BMW are a nightmare. Even the Snap-on scanners will take a couple hoursto diagnose certain problems that will take about 8 mins on a Ford.

If you have a LOT of money, and don't use those 3 as a daily driver, then go ahead. But none of those 3 cars are daily drivers.

Go with the CIVIC Si. DOn't know a thing about the mazda speed though
Wow I didn't know insurance was that much. But i've never been in any sort of accident either so why wouldn't mine be $1,300 as well? The Mazdaspeed is sort of in the same group as the civic... they are often compared with each other. But does the GTO that you have handle well under normal circumstances?

Rho

Don Juan
Reaction score
hate the front of the GTO, it looks tacked on, the monaro front looks way better
http://thecarnut.typepad.com/photos/sema_show_2006/dsc02569.jpg
they are big cars and as such feel like big cars/boats to drive

the insurance premium on any of them cars will be way to high for a 17yr old, atleast with the mazda you wont be hurting as much at the bowser.

just get any old sh1tbox to drive. Hey I'm 23 and have never even had a car, still drive my mums mazda when I need it, I live close to the city though, so that could be part of the equation.

Crazy Asian

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Monster said:
hey kid get the Si (which is already decently fast) and then when you know how to drive get something better
Could you elaborate on what "knowing how to drive" is?
What's the difference between an ok driver and a good one?

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
fwiw, CA, every 17 y/o is an idiot about driving. I was; we all were; it is just part of being that age. You have to make mistakes in order to learn. I would not suggest that you learn on a gto or z06 vette. Powerful rear-wheel drive cars are the least forgiving to drive. Too much throttle, and the back end will whip out, especially when the traction is bad. Some newer cars have traction control, but even if you had it, you would probably turn it off, because peeling out is fun.

I would probably have killed myself if I had a vette when I was your age. Learn to drive on a lesser car, and then you will be ready for the sports car after a few years of practice.

Alle_Gory

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Lancer or Impreza.

Solid, great safety rating, predictable AWD system that's fun on gravel. Assuming you know how to drive.

Crazy Asian said:
Could you elaborate on what "knowing how to drive" is?
What's the difference between an ok driver and a good one?
A good driver knows his car and doesn't push it past its limits. A good driver never puts himself in that situation to begin with because he reads the road ahead of time and acts accordingly. Proactive driving, not just reactive.

Also, you need to learn your cars. There's more to a vehicle than "i like this cuz its fast. lolz you guyz."

I've got a Subaru Impreza 2004 that I've just started modifying. This car is as fast as you're willing to spend money on it. The car comes in the 170hp RS, then the ~250hp WRX, and the 305hp STi. The control is awesome on gravel and snow, but gets beat by the Mitsubishi Lancer on pavement.

WaterTiger

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Get the Honda!

The insurance will be lower
They are good with gas
They are usually a very dependable car
If some jack-ass runs his keys down the side, it won't hurt so bad

Crazy Asian

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Alle_Gory said:
Lancer or Impreza.

Solid, great safety rating, predictable AWD system that's fun on gravel. Assuming you know how to drive.

A good driver knows his car and doesn't push it past its limits. A good driver never puts himself in that situation to begin with because he reads the road ahead of time and acts accordingly. Proactive driving, not just reactive.

Also, you need to learn your cars. There's more to a vehicle than "i like this cuz its fast. lolz you guyz."

I've got a Subaru Impreza 2004 that I've just started modifying. This car is as fast as you're willing to spend money on it. The car comes in the 170hp RS, then the ~250hp WRX, and the 305hp STi. The control is awesome on gravel and snow, but gets beat by the Mitsubishi Lancer on pavement.
Someone told me that the WRX is better than the STI. He didn't give me a reason though.... is this true?

I do think that I should wait a bit to get a more powerful car.
Would the Subaru and Lancer fall under the category of cars that's too much to handle for a 17 year old?

Alle_Gory

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Crazy Asian said:
Someone told me that the WRX is better than the STI. He didn't give me a reason though.... is this true?
He must have meant better value. The STi is superior. Upgraded suspension, engine and transmission and axles which can take more power if you want to mode the engine later. However, the STi is more expensive.

I do think that I should wait a bit to get a more powerful car.
Would the Subaru and Lancer fall under the category of cars that's too much to handle for a 17 year old?
It's better than a BMW or a Corvette. At least the AWD system keeps the car moving straight instead of fishtailing into something if you make a mistake. It's like driving on rails.

High power RWD cars are for experienced drivers since they are harder to drive.

There's always the Legacy if you want something a little more classy. The body is different but the engine and the drivetrain are mostly the same as the impreza series. It's a more elegant car. It also comes in a GT version that has a turbo. Pushes ~240hp.

Legacy
Note the scoop for the intercooler. That's the GT version.

2004-2005 STi

Lancer Evo 9

Anything newer is going to be very expensive. You can find lots of these cars used.

Wiesman44

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Crazy Asian said:
Wow I didn't know insurance was that much. But i've never been in any sort of accident either so why wouldn't mine be $1,300 as well? The Mazdaspeed is sort of in the same group as the civic... they are often compared with each other. But does the GTO that you have handle well under normal circumstances?
You are in a high risk driving category being only 17. You have not enough time behind the wheel to have a driving history, so therefore, they'll put you in a high risk group. Anything under $3k for a GTO at 17 years old is cheap.

Does it handle well ? Eh, it handles okay. But its more designed to go fast in a straight line. If you want a great handling car with the same engine, vette is the way to go .

Alle_Gory

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Wiesman44 said:
You are in a high risk driving category being only 17. You have not enough time behind the wheel to have a driving history, so therefore, they'll put you in a high risk group. Anything under $3k for a GTO at 17 years old is cheap.

Does it handle well ? Eh, it handles okay. But its more designed to go fast in a straight line. If you want a great handling car with the same engine, vette is the way to go .
... with higher insurance.

Problem is dude, you're 17 like Wiseman said. Maybe you're a good driver, but there's no way to prove that and the insurance company doesn't care. You're going to be driving a powerful car and you're not very experienced. Also, i'm assuming you've never had insurance before. No record means its more expensive to get insured.

If you can, get your dad to go under the insurance as the primary driver and you as the secondary. We have that in Canada and it will lower your insurance assuming your dad has a good driving record since you are only an occasional driver. Even if you're not you say you are because it lowers the rate, they can't prove you're not occasional.

Also, do you have your full certification or your learners. That lowers the rate a bit as well.

Now you have to look into the car. A 2 door is more expensive and more expensive to insure than a 4 door.

Unbridled_Phoenix

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
When I was 17, my buddy's dad gave him the keys to his sh!t hot 78 Silver Anniversary Corvette. 383 Stroker with Edelbrock everything, the works.

It was the greatest summer ever.

Can you imagine it? Two 17 year-olds in a 70's Vette with headers and straightpipes SCREAMING around town, raising hell and leaving cops in the dust everywhere we went? God it was awesome, that car pulled like a mule all the way to 140 +...

It was an awesome two months, anyway. Not long after school started, we were in an accident in the damn thing, and it's sat in a barn ever since. When we were spinning out of control down the middle of that rural state route, I remember thinking, "This car is going to explode into a million pieces, and I'm dead." They are great fun, but when you start to lose control, you don't get it back.

But it's a moot point anyway. Astronomical premiums aside, 9/10 companies won't even write a policy for you. 20K is an awesome price for a Z06, though!

Rhoto

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Crazy Asian said:
Hey guys, I'm about to buy a car and I've narrowed it down to a few choices.
For me, I'm looking for a car that's fun to drive and fast as well.

I actually found a 2002 BMW e46 M3 in VERY GOOD condition and only 42k miles for 21k.... but my dad says it's too "powerful" and he's worried about my safety haha.

Here are my choices:

2007 Mazdaspeed 3 - $16,800 < 20k mi

2003 Corvette Z06 - $19,950; 65k mi

2006 Pontiac GTO - $18,999; 20k mi

New/2008 Honda Civic SI

I've heard good things about the mazdaspeed 3, but the Z06 and GTO are much faster. I'm not sure why a 2003 Z06 is only 19k. The price scares me a little.... is there anyway I can check it out to see if it's in decent condition? The honda civic si is cheap enough that my dad says I can get a new one, or a 2008. I heard it's fun to drive, but it's slow as ell compared to these other cars.

I just started becoming interested in cars so I don't know a lot. Those of you that know a lot about cars, help me out here. Which one would you choose and why? Or is there another car that I'm overlooking that I should consider?
If your dad said no to an M3, he's going to say no to a LS6 (the beast that lives inside the Zed).

And 2002 M3s are dangerous, they tend to spin bearings and render engines dead. Don't believe me? Google it.

You're not ready to pilot a Z06, period. So lose that notion now, save yourself the headache. As for a 20k price tag, odds are it wasn't a commuter.

Are aware of all the costs and inconveniences associated with the Vette? Do you know how much the tires cost? Are you up to deal with a jarring, loud ride? Are you willing to take detours to avoid big speed bumps? Are you ok with the blind spots? And yeah, it can get 29mpg. But you'll probably get 10. Or 4.

And on this note, don't get a GTO either. 400lbft of torque is a lot.

20k? Buy a regular WRX, for as little as possible. Save the rest. But if you're serious about driving, Mazdaspeed Miata - or if you're still getting that 4.0, and your parents are willing buy/lease a 1 Series BMW.

As for what makes a good driver?

"He doesn't panic, ever."

BlakeW5

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Personally I'd go with the GTO (out of those choices). I'd say vette but they're very impractical for a daily driver... not to mention the costs associated with it (tires, etc.). It would be a blast though. Honestly I think it's funny your dad's against the M3 but cool with letting you choose between two faster cars.

Yeah a powerful RWD car may be a little bit dangerous but the only way you're ever gonna learn is by getting behind the wheel (for that matter all cars are dangerous). Just be easy on the throttle in rain and snow. Hell, find an empty parking lot and learn how the car reacts. Just take your time with it and don't push the limits of what you're capable of. It's not as bad as some are making it to be. Rear-wheel drive cars used to be the norm and people survived just fine

As far as insurance....at your age it's gonna be a b*tch with any (especially newer) car you get. Try getting insurance under your parents name.

But straight up, just get an older, possibly more beat-up, car. Not because any of the other cars are "too dangerous" just because you'll more than likely get in a few accidents. It'll hurt you much less if you bang up some car you don't care about, not to mention save you MUCH money. After a few years get the car you want.