Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

for the computer geeks

smooth guy

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I got a problem and need someone who knows what's going on.. because I'm lost here..

So today I've had this incident happen numerous times where the whole screen disappears while I'm using the computer with a blue screen and white text saying:

STOP: [Fatal system error]
The windows subsystem process terminated unexpectedly with a status of [some weird codes made from numbers and letters].
The system has been shut down.

so basically the computer just shuts down while that message appears. When I restart I then get a similar message just as the pc gets loaded..

Beginning dump physical memory.
Physical memory dump complete.

..then the system shuts down again.. :S

So I restart the computer again in safe mode and run msconfig accessing the startup system...I see this.. -dumprep 0 -k
I un-check mark it and restart the computer again with no problems. Then after a while the same error message appears again and I have to go through the same process restarting the computer in safe mode etc.

I'm guessing this is some kind of virus. I've got the best anti-virus programs installed (kaspersky, spyware doctor, lavasoft ad-aware, etc) but failed to find anything suspicious.

does anyone know what the hell is going on here? :confused:

tmpgstx

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
This can happen after adding a new piece of hardware such as memory etc. If you added anything new, remove that device and the drivers.

There is a worm that simulated the message you got some time ago. Virus scanners are worthless and won't detect that. You need to make sure all windows updates are patched.

bigjohnson

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'd love to know what virus is out in the wild that major security products don't detect. Please provide info.

mpimpin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
bigjohnson said:
I'd love to know what virus is out in the wild that major security products don't detect. Please provide info.
New viruses can be created daily. Security products aren't always up to date

smooth guy

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
tmpgstx said:
This can happen after adding a new piece of hardware such as memory etc. If you added anything new, remove that device and the drivers.

There is a worm that simulated the message you got some time ago. Virus scanners are worthless and won't detect that. You need to make sure all windows updates are patched.
Well that's what makes it funny, I haven't added any new drivers or devices (except a web cam which was a few days ago).

If I don't find the way to fix this I'm thinking of a system restore...I made a backup 'bout a month ago. Would that fix the problem? I've never done a system restore before.

Skel

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Just system restore. You wont really lose much info. System restore restores the computer to the last time you reboot your pc, not the last time you restored it as long as you choose the latest system point of restore.

bigjohnson

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
mpimpin said:
New viruses can be created daily. Security products aren't always up to date
Being up to date isn't the question. I'm asking about a specific virus that was posted above that "virus scanners won't detect". What is it? Smells like BS to me.

Also, most signatures are updated by major vendors within 2-4 hours of first reports.

Skel

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
bigjohnson said:
Being up to date isn't the question. I'm asking about a specific virus that was posted above that "virus scanners won't detect". What is it? Smells like BS to me.

Also, most signatures are updated by major vendors within 2-4 hours of first reports.

virus scanners wont detect an up to date virus because the virus defintions in the program are not up to date. Actually its simple.

bigjohnson

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Skel said:
virus scanners wont detect an up to date virus because the virus defintions in the program are not up to date. Actually its simple.
OK, I'll type slower. He said there was a specific virus presently out (not some hypothetical virus from next week) that the virus scanner couldn't detect. I'm asking for a show me. I believe the worm he's talking about was one that poorly done securtiy ware wouldn't detect because it included some primitive rootkit functionality, but all majors had updates to detect it within hours. Free AV is, well, you get what you pay for sometimes.

Now what you're talking about is something completely different, but ...

As for malware from next week, it'll be in your AV database before you know the malware is out there. Someone will detect it and submit a sample and the worldwide AV community will share it among themselves, and have new definitions out within hours.

Yeah, I know what I'm talking about, the AV research group for North America sits North of me, across the street from where I sit in software R&D.

bigjohnson

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I could have phrased that more nicely - I'm sorry for being testy dude.

Desdinova

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The easiest way to fix this is to format your hard drive and install Ubuntu Linux :D

But if you insist on sticking with Windows, I would still wipe the hard drive and re-install. Doing a recovery doesn't really fix anything.

bigjohnson

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It sounds like a hardware or driver issue. As much as I love Linux bad drivers and (for sure) bad hardware will put it down just as surely, and with even more cryptic error messages.

tmpgstx

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Well that's what makes it funny, I haven't added any new drivers or devices (except a web cam which was a few days ago).
I actually had a web cam do this very thing. Removing the cam and drivers fixed it.

bigjohnson

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I had memory do this, all I had to do is re-seat it and the issue was solved. If you're comfortable inside the case (and if you're not you should be, as a guy. LOL) try reseating components and restarting.

smooth guy

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Desdinova said:
The easiest way to fix this is to format your hard drive and install Ubuntu Linux :D

But if you insist on sticking with Windows, I would still wipe the hard drive and re-install. Doing a recovery doesn't really fix anything.
Ahh I hate formating...too much info gets lost. Only time I did that was when I was a noob at computers and some idiot sent me a trojan :rolleyes:

smooth guy

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
bigjohnson said:
I had memory do this, all I had to do is re-seat it and the issue was solved. If you're comfortable inside the case (and if you're not you should be, as a guy. LOL) try reseating components and restarting.
Bingo! Problem solved. :)

Thanks for the help guys.