Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

For all the gearheads...

Epic

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm planning on buying a Civic sometime soon, mostly because they get better gas mileage, but I've also always been interested in the import scene and I figure this would be a good car to start with. I was wondering if I should keep the stock engine or swap it for a different series? If so which series would be the best? Also, I don't really know much about cars so aside from that what should I start off with as far as performance parts and how much do they affect gas mileage? Anyway, I appreciate your answers and any other tips you might have would be greatly appreciated.

fresh_to_death

Don Juan
Reaction score
A civic is an economy car at best. I've had an accord and a lancer and I went through periods of wanting to "fix them up", but ultimately it all came down to stepping back into reality and accepting the car for what it was. Don't embarrass yourself and empty your wallet by ricing it up. Just save up and get a car that is actually designed for performance.

Jerry Maguire

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
If you need to ask about engine swaps, you shouldn't be doing it.
I was on a Honda forum not too long ago (can't remember which one) but it provided a wealth of knowledge on the topic if you're serious about learning.

If I were you, I'd save up for a Civic Type-R, or, stick with a regular Civic and add some tasteful changes to it if you like the look of lowered suspension etc.

Good luck, let us know what you go for

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Agreed that Civic are economy cars. However, any car can be fast. Slap a boosted-up turbo on that Civic, and you will smoke most Mustangs... until you blow the engine from too much boost, but that is part of the fun!

what should I start off with as far as performance parts and how much do they affect gas mileage?

If gas mileage is a priority, most of your upgrades will be in the tires, wheels, and suspension. You can easily spend the value of the car over again on any of these mods.

Epic

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Well, I did some research and the Civic Type-R uses a B16 series engine which you can buy stand alone. I don't really like the Type-R body style though, I'm not a big hatchback fan. It would probably come out cheaper for me if I bought a non racing model and just did a swap to a B16 series.

As far as just buying a stock high performance car, there's no fun in that. I don't really care what people would think about it for every hobby there is out there, someone thinks it is stupid. If someone doesn't like it, that's their own problem, but I'm not going to stop just because it's not considered "cool." For me it's about the work not just the result.

My dad does have a 1990 Honda CRX it's kinda of old, but it's in decent condition. It just dawned on me that I could probably put a high performance engine in it and it would be good as new.

Ravenous

Don Juan
Reaction score
k20 (type-s) motor/tranny swap and you'll be raping lightly modded evos from a roll without any additional bpu stuff.

Epic

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
K20.. ok cool, I'll probably go with that then, isn't that similar to the series that's in the Civic Type-R?

MagnuM

Don Juan
Reaction score
Epic said:
I'm planning on buying a Civic sometime soon, mostly because they get better gas mileage, but I've also always been interested in the import scene and I figure this would be a good car to start with. I was wondering if I should keep the stock engine or swap it for a different series? If so which series would be the best? Also, I don't really know much about cars so aside from that what should I start off with as far as performance parts and how much do they affect gas mileage? Anyway, I appreciate your answers and any other tips you might have would be greatly appreciated.
There are plenty of forums on the internet for this sort of subject. You google it because I am not your guide to the internet.

You're a tool for even asking about this in a forum that has nothing to do with cars.

Save your money and buy a new Civic Si.

MagnuM

Don Juan
Reaction score
Epic said:
There are plenty of forums on the internet for this sort of subject. You google it because I am not your guide to the internet.

Save your money and buy a new Civic Si.