Flu fvcked up my weight gain

MikeYikes122

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I've really wanted to sit down and record my progress for some people on this board who helped me a lot, but I just haven't had the chance.

I have made a ton of progress though in almost two months. I started out at about 144 pounds and got up to 158. My bench went from about 185 to 205. I started out squatting about as much as an old woman. I'm not even sure what my max was, but I just put 120 pounds on at first and was barely able to do it 6 times, which is kind of weird because I've ran marathons and been a distance runner my entire life. I figured my legs would be somewhat strong, but I was wrong. Though, when I do squat reps now I usually do about 6-8 reps of about 195 or 185 now.

I'm progressing along greatly and I can definitely see some a lot more mass in my upper body.

I think I've got my diet right too. I eat whole wheat carbs in the morning and after workouts, protein in almost every meal. I usually eat seven raw eggs a day and red meat or poultry at least once (usually twice) in the day. I eat tuna, cottage cheese and nuts for other sources of proteins. I usually drink about a half a gallon of milk (sometimes more) a day and drink two whey protein shakes. I mix veggies and fruit in during the day, and if I don't have time for the veggies I drink V8. To get my fat intake high, I usually drink three teaspoons of olive oil as well. I usually get around 250 grams of protein a day and my calorie in take is pretty high up there. I take flax oil and fish oil as well.

But I ran into a huge problem about a week and a half ago. I got the stomach flu and was puking for a solid day and a half. I couldn't keep food down and I dropped from 157 pounds to 152. The weight is gradually coming back, but it's been very slow. I was only up to 154 at last weigh in (yesterday).

Though, the weird thing is I lost all that weight but it doesn't seem like strength was affected. I still bench and squat the same amounts. I actually felt stronger after I got over the flu - maybe from muscles being so well rested?

I figured the weight I lost from being sick would fill back on pretty quickly, but it hasn't. Anyone have any ideas as to why it's not? Is it normal for it to take this long to come back? I'll take critiques on my diet and other things as well if you have them.

wolf116

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
People with weak immune systems(me) have to go two steps froward one step back. It's natural for your strength to stay but your weight drop. Makes it easer to gain but it's still hard and takes time.

SinJester

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
My immune system is one of the biggest hurdles in gaining weight and any sport.

MikeYikes122

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah, I know how you guys feel. Like today, for some reason my allergies have decided to go insane. I have allergies to mold and I think there is some in my furnace or somewhere. I had the fattest sinus headache and woke up at about 3:30 this afternoon. I haven't been able to eat anything or barely move until about 20 minutes ago.

If I'm not losing strength though I guess it's not anything to freak out over though.

Throttle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Do not focus on how much you weigh!

Focus on how much you can lift, and recognize that after the flu it'll probably take 2 weeks to get back to you pre-flu strength, especially if you get back to it slowly, as you should (your immune system sounds like it's back on one heel). make sure you're getting enough sleep & rest.

speakeasy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Just an FYI, the flu doesn't make people puke. The flu is a respiratory virus, it doesn't attack the stomach. You were probably food poisoned, or caught a norovirus.

I.A.F.Y.B.

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
speakeasy said:
Just an FYI, the flu doesn't make people puke. The flu is a respiratory virus, it doesn't attack the stomach. You were probably food poisoned, or caught a norovirus.
Interesting you say this because, from Wikipedia.org....

Symptoms of influenza (The Flu) may include:

Body aches, especially joints and throat
Coughing and sneezing
Extreme coldness and fever
Fatigue
Headache
Irritated watering eyes
Nasal congestion
Nausea and vomiting
Reddened eyes, skin (especially face), mouth, throat and nose

speakeasy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I've just read before that people are routinely food poisoned but easily mistake it for the "the flu" if it's mild food poisoning. I think the tipoff is if you are puking but don't have the runny eyes, coughing, sniffles and that kind of thing.

MikeYikes122

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I know I'm not supposed to care about my weight, but I weighed in at 156.5 today and felt strong as hell when I worked out. I can't say how relieved I was. I thought something might have been off with my diet. I guess my digestive system is just weird?

Throttle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
no, your digestive system is normal. as is your immune system. when you're fighting something off, your body diverts resources away from lifting capacity. when you're all better, viola!

insidious

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Damn effin flu. I'm just now recovering from a good battle with it, the kind that makes you just wish you were dead (or that you're close to it anyways :nervous: )

It started last Monday with a dry cough and for about 3 days I could barely stay awake 4 straight hours. Mon night I slept 11 hours, Thursday I slept pretty much off and on from 12:30p til 5a on Fri. It's awful man, not only is your body slammed by this disease, so is your mind. You are lethargic, you can't think, you have the deep malaise that prevents you from enjoying anything that you would normally enjoy.

Stupidly I thought I was well enough on Thur morning to lift...I had pushed back my Wed workout and I couldn't fathom the thought of skipping 2 days....on the bench press, I was overmatched. Put up some pitiful numbers. Rows...ah I really was starting to wanna go to bed again. Deadlifts....forget it. Each set made me wanna faint/puke. Next day, I felt really sore, a soreness I never experience with the levels of weights I did. LOL, it was like my body telling me "You idiot, you're SICK, go to bed and leave this stupid iron for another day. Do you really think we'll divert resources to mending your muscles when we are trying our best to defeat this flu that has invaded your body???"

If you have the flu, just wait it out. Let your body do what it has to and don't burden it with any extra work. And heavy weights are a hell of a burden for your body.

Mr.Positive

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah, I just got the flu. It's miserable. I haven't had so much as a cold in a year and a half, and this just knocked me on my ass.

Mike, you could have lost a lot of water weight if you were throwing up a lot. It's easy to loose a few pounds of water weight, but usually it's easy to get back.

Mr.Positive

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah, I just got the flu. It's miserable. I haven't had so much as a cold in a year and a half, and this just knocked me on my ass.

Mike, you could have lost a lot of water weight if you were throwing up a lot. It's easy to loose a few pounds of water weight, but usually it's easy to get back.