Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Flexed abs = 8pack | Relaxed abs = pregnant !?!?

Adone

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey everybody, I have somewhat of a issue, expecially now that the beach season has come. I am 5'9 and 160 lbs, my bodyfat is around 13%.
As you can read in the title, if I flex my abs you can see a decent 8-pack and my waist measures only 32" (80 cm). However, if I don't flex and I let it relax, it grows at least a inch, but depending on the day it can go close to 35" (86 cm)! I think this is pretty strange, and I can't understand what the hell is the cause.

I'll put some things I have thought about, without coming to a conclusion:

1) Bodyfat. It sounds pretty unlikely, since I don't have much bodyfat (you can see all the veins in my forearms and sometimes even on the upper arm). Plus, if it were bodyfat, it wouldn't go away just because I flex my muscles. Bodyfat is there, either when abs are flexed or relaxed. Also, in the morning it's a lot less frequent and sometimes my waist looks the same be it relaxed or flex. So I think this is not the cause, could I be wrong?

2) Not strong enough abs. I also don't think this is the case, because when I flex them, my abs look more trained than your average Joe's, who usually doesn't have my problem.

3) Bad eating habits. I thought it could be due to pasta, milk or bread, so I definately cut them out of my diet, but this hasn't worked (I haven't touched any of those in the past two months).

What the hell can it be?

sadburger

Don Juan
Reaction score
Probably still an issue of bodyfat, at least somewhat. Usually you'lld start to see well defined ab muscles around the 10% mark.

Could be some kind of bloating issue going on as well.

Adone

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
sadburger said:
Probably still an issue of bodyfat, at least somewhat. Usually you'lld start to see well defined ab muscles around the 10% mark.

Could be some kind of bloating issue going on as well.

It could very easily be due to bloating, since it seems to get more serious the more I drink. How can I avoid this?

afc_recovering

Don Juan
Reaction score
I've always had the same problem through my bulk and even now that I'm down around 9% BF at 5'10 175lbs, it happens. Even today, after a big meal or a lot of water, my stomach sit out like a beer belly when relaxed, but you can see the 6 abs, kindof like a turtles shell. It's a pain in the ass (looks like you've got a belly when you have a tight shirt on) and I've attributed it mostly to water retention. I used to be really insecure about it, to the point I wouldn't want to take my shirt off after I ate, but I really couldn't care less now that I'm at a low enough body fat that you can still see them.

However, as for your problem, a trick I found that worked wonders for me is that when you're going out to the beach or something don't drink water for like 2-3 hours before you go out and you'll have your beloved 6-pack back. *Put on sunscreen though, cause I've found you get sunburnt way easier when you're dehydrated.*

Ricky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
And a big part of the water retention is due to sodium. This is one of many reasons to limit it.

Damn my abs look good in the morning, but after a day of eating, woah. I know exactly what you are talking about.

Omen

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yes, your gut will grow when you retain water. Just do an experiment. When you have to piss, wait a bit, and make sure you HAVE to go. Sit there and watch your gut as you pee. If you look real close you can see it shrink.

Also too, you answered your own question in a sense. You said FLEXED=abs, non=dont. True. Look at the word in all caps. Means to contract, and that is what you are doing to a muscle. Your whole midsection is tightening up when you flex. Its the same with any other body part. Why do your arms look bigger? Why do your lats spread out?

i'm in the single digit range on bf% and I am the same way. You can see definition, but it is more defined when I flex.

Just keep working on them and dont get too depressed or what not. To get them to look good relaxed can be hard. And you cant tell too much if someone is flexed some to show more definition in a mag shoot either, not to mention lighting and air brush touch up on some people. Same goes for some women you see in advertising shoots. If they look WAY too perfect, they are made up some, and there was a video I watched once that even said so, and there are a few women that are made up. Certain bodies with certain faces etc. Not all, but point being... Not everyone is a CK model.

Slone

Don Juan
Reaction score
Your abs don't need to be strong to be visible, just lower your body fat. Don't worry so much, nobody else is inspecting your abs as closely as you are.

Quiksilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I have it also. My advice is to not obsess over it. I went on a 4 month quest to a) determine the cause. and b) get rid of it.

There are a bunch of factors that you can tweak, but in my case, I got an ultrasound and discovered that my intestine has an extra(1 more than the norm) coil, and thus causes my belly to hang out. It's hereditary.

I also have the same deal with the 6 pack when flexed, and "pregnant" look when slack. Just get used to keeping it flexed ;)

If you want more information on it, I made a journal of the quest to solve the battle of the bulge here.

good luck, hope you find your answer mate.

stronglifts

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Adone said:
Hey everybody, I have somewhat of a issue, expecially now that the beach season has come. I am 5'9 and 160 lbs, my bodyfat is around 13%.
As you can read in the title, if I flex my abs you can see a decent 8-pack and my waist measures only 32" (80 cm). However, if I don't flex and I let it relax, it grows at least a inch, but depending on the day it can go close to 35" (86 cm)! I think this is pretty strange, and I can't understand what the hell is the cause.

I'll put some things I have thought about, without coming to a conclusion:

1) Bodyfat. It sounds pretty unlikely, since I don't have much bodyfat (you can see all the veins in my forearms and sometimes even on the upper arm). Plus, if it were bodyfat, it wouldn't go away just because I flex my muscles. Bodyfat is there, either when abs are flexed or relaxed. Also, in the morning it's a lot less frequent and sometimes my waist looks the same be it relaxed or flex. So I think this is not the cause, could I be wrong?

2) Not strong enough abs. I also don't think this is the case, because when I flex them, my abs look more trained than your average Joe's, who usually doesn't have my problem.

3) Bad eating habits. I thought it could be due to pasta, milk or bread, so I definately cut them out of my diet, but this hasn't worked (I haven't touched any of those in the past two months).

What the hell can it be?

Interesting. I used to have a "pregnant" stomach back in my bodybuilding years. My friends thought it was cool, that I looked like coleman. I didn't like it.

It disappeared when I switched to strength training:
-Lots of Overhead Work: Overhead Press, Push Press, Overhead Squat, Waiter walks,...
-Heavy Front Squats. Front loading of the weight stresses the abs hard
-Anabolic Diet. Less water retention, lower body fat.

People still ask me where my stomach went to.

Adone

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
stronglifts said:
Interesting. I used to have a "pregnant" stomach back in my bodybuilding years. My friends thought it was cool, that I looked like coleman. I didn't like it.

It disappeared when I switched to strength training:
-Lots of Overhead Work: Overhead Press, Push Press, Overhead Squat, Waiter walks,...
-Heavy Front Squats. Front loading of the weight stresses the abs hard
-Anabolic Diet. Less water retention, lower body fat.

People still ask me where my stomach went to.

You seem to think that it's all due to not strong enough abs, am I right?

Analytic

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
You have an 8 pac with 13% bf? a little hard to believe but 13% is a high amount of bf to see an 8 pack. I can't imagine how good your abs must look at 7%.

I agree with everyone that its mostly the water retention, you may notice your face looks bloated too.

Omen

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Analytic said:
You have an 8 pac with 13% bf? a little hard to believe but 13% is a high amount of bf to see an 8 pack. I can't imagine how good your abs must look at 7%.

I agree with everyone that its mostly the water retention, you may notice your face looks bloated too.
I was thinking the same cause I am about half that in bf% and I dont have an 8 pack by far. an 8 is one of the hardest to get. Getting all Rectus Abdominis to appear...only a few can achieve. That's why you hear a 6 talked about all the time, not to mention your average person, and even people who lift dont know you have 8 RA.

Adone

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Analytic said:

Actually, I think the 8-pack is genetic, because I've never really had a 6-pack, I always sport a 8-one. Also, my scale says my bodyfat is 14%, but I don't believe it's right, since in one day it gives me like 14% in the morning, then 15.5 after lunch, then 15%, then 14.5% then 15.5% all in the same day!

Also, I have protruding veins in my forearms and sometimes in my upper arm too, and when I flex my abs are pretty decently visible, so I think my bodyfat is no more than 13%

Analytic

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
You should be using the caliper to measure your body, you'll get more exact measurement this way. I highly doubt that you're at 13% if you see an 8 pack or visible veins, the fat HAS to be stored somewhere and the fact is men store alot of our fat in our stomach and lower back. Your genetic could be diffrent from most other people in that you store fat somewhere eles or distribute fat more evenly on your body. If that is so then you should consider yourself lucky.

Omen

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Analytic said:
You should be using the caliper to measure your body, you'll get more exact measurement this way. I highly doubt that you're at 13% if you see an 8 pack or visible veins, the fat HAS to be stored somewhere and the fact is men store alot of our fat in our stomach and lower back. Your genetic could be diffrent from most other people in that you store fat somewhere eles or distribute fat more evenly on your body. If that is so then you should consider yourself lucky.
Calipers are ok IF you have a person that knows what they are doing, and how to take site measurements.

Want accurate results... Bod Pod or DEXA.

Not many places have them though. I've used the DEXA and it is very accurate. Will also give you a print out on certain sites as well. You'll even know the fat in your BRAIN :)

Reaction score
Omen said:
I was thinking the same cause I am about half that in bf% and I dont have an 8 pack by far. an 8 is one of the hardest to get. Getting all Rectus Abdominis to appear...only a few can achieve. That's why you hear a 6 talked about all the time, not to mention your average person, and even people who lift dont know you have 8 RA.
Did you know that some people are born with only 4 packs and they can't even get a 6-pack? It's actually evolution... since people are using less and less their stomach muscles. In the future most ppl will lose their pinky too.

mrRuckus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
PeterNorthisawesome said:
Did you know that some people are born with only 4 packs and they can't even get a 6-pack? It's actually evolution... since people are using less and less their stomach muscles. In the future most ppl will lose their pinky too.
You are completely insane. Evolution does not work that fast.

Omen

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
PeterNorthisawesome said:
:kick:

I'd like to see the research on that. lol

Reaction score
mrRuckus said:
You are completely insane. Evolution does not work that fast.
Are you sure? Do some research on how people's jaw are growing weaker because of our diet. You'll be amazed what evolution can do, if you search again on people's toe you would find that some people have three bones while others only have two.

Redux

Don Juan
Reaction score
Peternorth is def insane.
On topic: Probably a problem of NOT subcutaneous fat but really visceral fat. Happilly for you visceral fat is the first to go.