Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

First time renter, need help!

blackbelt2k

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey, just graduated college, and have been working for 8 months now, feel secure at job and looking for place to live (move out of my parents house). I've come across a place advertised as $1300 1 bdrm, all utilities included, pets allowed ( a have a dog who is my best buddy). What questions should I be asking when i check this place out saturday?

Sofar I've got,

-Any appliances included?
-Who controls termastat, one for each apt or just one?

Greatly appreciate you guys lending me your experience so I can make an informed first rental.

Thanks!

mpimpin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Ask if there is a limit on the amount of utilities used and how much you might be expected to pay if you go over the allotted amount of water or electricity.

Ask about Pest Control and the policy of management as far as entering your apartment and how much notice is given.

LoneSilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
When signing any lease ask for a copy before hand so you can study it. I would start there and ask questions on the lease which is a legal contract between you and the apartments and don't take it lightly.

Before moving in do a check list of the condition of the apartment with the manager and both you and the manager should sign it. This is a requirement in most apartments that are standard and not substandard like slum lords meaning a place that is livable but the carpet is stained and smells the floors are awful and roaches are so big their running the mice all over the apartment did I just say that was livable... don't think so.

You don't want to move into a place with a hole or burn in the carpet and be held responsible for it when you move out. Having a presigned list of the condition of the apartment is the best defence in a court if it goes that far and I would go as far as taking pictures or video of the whole apartment before moving in as well for the future when you move out.

Ask questions if your allowed to have visitors to stay over and what is required the lease should explain this another reason to get a copy before hand to read and ask the right questions to protect your interest.

Don't forget apartment insurance if you care for your property and it's new stuff but in certain cases the apartments can be held responsible for damage to your property if you don't carry it learn what that is but play it safe and get apartment insurance anyway.

Some leases are for 6 months some for a year and what happens if you break the lease within that time limit. Would you be held to pay the remaining months if you broke a lease for a year at 6 months? Very important.

Think in terms of keeping your best interest in mind but respecting the interest of the apartments as well and you will be fine.

Also, if this is a government regulated apartment complex be prepared to hand over personal information unlike you would with a regular privately owned one.

Good luck!

LoneSilver

blackbelt2k said:
Hey, just graduated college, and have been working for 8 months now, feel secure at job and looking for place to live (move out of my parents house). I've come across a place advertised as $1300 1 bdrm, all utilities included, pets allowed ( a have a dog who is my best buddy). What questions should I be asking when i check this place out saturday?

Sofar I've got,

-Any appliances included?
-Who controls termastat, one for each apt or just one?

Greatly appreciate you guys lending me your experience so I can make an informed first rental.

Thanks!

horaholic

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Check the shower water pressure!

Heart Break Kid

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Make sure it's far enough above ground both for safety and view. Don't live near the elevator or garbage shoot if you can avoid it.