Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

First field report, insights from heavy weight muscle gain and pharmaceuticals

6-heads lewis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
This is my first post in this forum, those who’ve seen my posts in ‘anything else’ think I’m a bitter, cynical recluse. Two changes occurred that had a HUGE effect on my interactions with women and life in general: increased pharmaceuticals, and heavy weight gain, mostly muscle from power lifting. I notice a direct correlation between female interest and shoulder width, I sh!t you not, even if you have a small gut to go with those he-man shoulders. In the past year I took care of some terrible genetic disorders, and can interact at a functional level for the first time ever. I’m 23 years old.

Before I get into the story, let me explain how these physiological changes can affect you:

- Inner game is not psychological, it’s physiological. You’re anxiety threshold won’t increase through “being a man” or “sucking it up”. It’s a physiological response, I use to have the thinnest of skin, now I have fairly thick skin, all as a result of medication, not aligning my chakras. None of my twisted thought were in my control, none of my body’s embarrassing reactions were my choice. Reading self-help books are a nice boost, but are laughably inept compared to physiological improvements.

- Pook’s post about weight gain is exaggerated and unbelievable at points, but the message holds true: Life as a big guy is better than life as a small guy. I’m not ‘big’ either at 6’0 210, just bigger than average, with big shoulders and neck. I used to be 140lbs, scared to death of everyone and everything. Women give you a “free pass” so to speak, and assume good things about you for no reason other than your appearance. Skinny guys work with a handicap, you have to be funny or charming or popular or whatever to compensate. As a bigger guy I don’t have to do anything except be physically present and make pleasant conversation. I also noticed people I talk to in everyday situations like cashiers or whatever are much friendlier to me since the improved appearance.

- More than anything, when your body is functioning well and you feel good, you can BE YOURSELF with greater ease. I’m somewhat goofy and awkward, but it’s okay now. Because I look better and more dominant, they accept my personality flaws or odd traits, and no longer punish me for things like being too nice or showing too much interest.

I’ll get into exercises and diet if there’s interest. The best place to start is Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe. Deadlifts are KING. My favourite home shoulder exercise is handstand pushups against the wall, especially if you’re thin or athletic, personally I do elevated pike presses. It’s like pushups on chairs, except your body is folded into a V almost, your hands are so close. Then lower yourself as low as possible, when you push back up, you’ll feel a heavy strain on your shoulders, your body should be making a near 90 degree angle with the floor, so your arms and shoulders are doing all the work. That’s killer. I also do headstands against the wall with my head supporting most of my weight, I feel the strength in my neck and trapz area. These are also great for abs.

First ever field report:

I go to a clinic that specializes in hand issues. I actually set my own hand on fire to prove how tough I was… to myself. It got infected and several days later I’m in the urgent care sector of the hospital, then shipped to this clinic.

Note to reader: Don’t set your hand on fire. This was definitely in my top 3 stupidest moments ever, number one is the time I threw a full-power uppercut at a foot-wide block of ice, thinking I could dent it. That blunder took a month to heal, this one only about 2 weeks.

On the way in, some beautiful young businesswoman looked at me up and down, then when I looked back, she immediately looked down. I smiled and said “Hi”, she gave me a brief acknowledgement as we passed, she was talking on a cell phone. Did I really just do that?

In the clinic, my nurse was a young-looking woman, very pretty, the kind who looks like a 9 when made-up at the club, but you can appreciate the natural beauty in casual settings. Surely she gets hit on by clumsy, meathead scumbags like me all the time, but wtf, I felt courageous. I made some pleasant small talk, some jokes. She had a slight smile on her face, like she was hiding a wider smile, playing the game so to speak. I got the feeling she liked me, and was touching my hand and arm more than necessary. I made some lame jokes and she laughed. In years prior, I’d make great jokes and they’d scowl! Big improvement. Eventually I said, you look too young to be my nurse. She said she hears that all the time. I said “am I allowed to ask?”, she told me she was 29 and has been a nurse 6 years. I told she doesn’t look it, in a slightly complimentary way. I was trying to write a joke in my head, with the punch line “you’re so practical and not even grossed out by my burn, if you could cook or clean you’d be the best girlfriend!” I couldn’t get the word right though, and it never came out. She asked me if I had made my next appointment, I said yes and told her the day, then TOO QUICKLY asked “you in that day”? She replied sharply and bluntly: no.

It was awkward silence, and ultimately End Game. I played my hand too early, and now I was exposed as being too interested. I should have waited longer and prepared a light joke if she said no. Admitting defeat, I withdrew eye contact and small talk, just sat professionally and distant. Once it was over, I said “thanks for the help doc”, we parted without looking at or even facing each other.

What’s my point? I think sometimes you just have to realize your fault, and play damage control. Sure there was a small chance I could recover, but it was extremely unlikely. Most likely, she’s now on guard and expecting you to make a move like the rest of the jak-offs she treats, you’re no longer interesting or charming, no longer exciting. The best you can do from there is salvage your dignity and appreciate the experience. Especially if you may end up seeing that person again, as I might. Down the road you may get another shot, no sense in ruining through impatience.

trv26

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Nice post.

Would love to hear more about the problems ur medications helped you with, assuming you don't mind speaking about them of course.

6-heads lewis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks. I don't mind sharing, it feels like a past life, my mentality has changed to that degree.

Many guys on this forum have serious disorders, and the "tough love" replies, while often made with good intentions, don't help. It can be embarrassing or stigmatic to admit you have a mental illness and need help, but the results can be incredible. It's a tough world, we need every advantage we can get. Or at the very least, get rid of all your handicaps.

Solomon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
6-heads lewis said:
T

What’s my point? I think sometimes you just have to realize your fault, and play damage control. Sure there was a small chance I could recover, but it was extremely unlikely. Most likely, she’s now on guard and expecting you to make a move like the rest of the jak-offs she treats, you’re no longer interesting or charming, no longer exciting. The best you can do from there is salvage your dignity and appreciate the experience. Especially if you may end up seeing that person again, as I might. Down the road you may get another shot, no sense in ruining through impatience.
You never know unless you tried huh?
The "what ifs" or "what coulda/shoulda" In the game is what I live for, the fact that I know that It's something I can never master, hence I strive to improve with each interaction, and yes you are right, you do get another chance as long as you put yourself out there and try again, that's what makes this beautiful.

I agree somewhat with your inner game post, however one of the things that helped my inner game is, "life" I went through some crap which really tested my confidence, and By God's grace I came through. Yes working out can help a lot, with your inner Game (hell I lost 30 pounds in 2006 just to gain it back lol) however knowledge and love of self are just as important IMO

peace

Solo

trv26

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
agree with you on the "tough love" advice.

I'm interested cos i too was on meds for a while, and remember feeling so much more confident.

So are you still on the meds? If not, do u feel that confidence u gained with the meds has remained.

6-heads lewis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I have been on meds for a year, and still am. The main side effect for me has been weight gain, 5-10lbs of fat. I once went off meds for a few weeks to get into great shape, those weeks were awful. within a few days all the problems came back. at times I have tried lowering the dosage, or I might forget and miss a day or so, and the results have been bad. I quickly go back to pre-med state, but YMMV.

DJVladdy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey bro,

What kind of meds do you take that helped you out?

PM me if you don't want to publicly post it-

Because when it comes to medication im having a dillema of my own.. maybe you can tell me about your situation - and what kind of medication helped you.

6-heads lewis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Sure, I'll reply to you tomorrow. Most importantly, everybody reacts differently to meds, you should ultimately ask a doctor. That's why there are many suitable meds for different disorders, they can't predict how it will effect you, so you try a few until you find one that works well.

Of course, it helps if you have a great health care plan!

trv26

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey lewis,

it would be useful to know what exactly your problems were, as then I know if ur situation is comparable to mine. Like DVLaddy said, feel free to PM me if you prefer.

have you tried therapy along with your meds btw? Apparently ur likely to have more success with ur problems that way, especially when you do come off the meds. After all however useful meds might be (and once again I speak from my little bit of experience with them), you cannot depend on them for ever.

6-heads lewis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
trv26 said:
After all however useful meds might be (and once again I speak from my little bit of experience with them), you cannot depend on them for ever.
Why not?

I don't do therapy, there's not much in it for me. My emotions and thoughts change based on the medications I take, so I'll tinker with that until I find the best combination. I don't have many underlying issues to talk about, just hereditary disorders.

I fit into the "love shy" category in many ways prior to meds. I didn't have the same fairy-tale mentality as some of them, but the results were the same: obsessing over women , unable to talk, extreme anxiety and panic, endless staring with no action, inability to initiate or carry a conversation with a woman I found attractive. And the closer it got to sex the worse my panic would get, to the point of near fainting, and severe bowel irritation. Basically, I had to get out of the situation asap or I'd black out or crap my pants.

I treated it as separate issues, and it worked best that way. A high dosage of antidepressants works for OCD, that helps get the thoughts out of my head so I could at least focus on other things and choose when to think about women, rather than having it planted in my head all the time. It also helped with general social anxiety and paranoia. I take a low dosage of an anti-psychotic, it makes my emotions more appropriate and tolerable, and improves my ability to express myself and understand my emotions. Sedatives like Valium work for anxiety as well, though I don't use them often myself. I prefer alcohol.

The remaining issue today is live or spontaneous conversation. My mouth moves faster than my mind, I often start a sentence then stop midway, as my brain hasn't caught up. Or I'll forget what I was talking about mid sentence. I put my foot in my mouth all the time! So often I blurt something out almost uncontrollably, only to regret it a few seconds later. Terms for it are 'word salad' or disorganized thoughts and speech, I'm going to see a specialized psychiatrist about it.

It's important to be patient, it took about 5 months to find the right dosage for the antidepressants, then another few weeks for the antipsychotic. Don't expect immediate results. The first pill you take might not work, you might have to change and start the process all over again. Expect improvements within about 6 months. But yea, as I said above, I'm no doctor, I just followed conventional advice and read up on all the medications available to me.

For me, there was a stage of bitterness afterwards. Only now at 23 am I able to function at the level of a normal teenager. Basically that's 10 years of possible socializing and sex down the tube. I guess all you can do is be grateful that it happened eventually, people in prior generations had to live with this their entire lives.

You can PM me or post here if you have more questions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love-shyness
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obsessive-compulsive_disorder
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_anxiety
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disorganized_schizophrenia

DJVladdy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing

I also would feel shy sometimes in public/social situations - but i would adapt and become more comfortable as I got familiar with a given situation.

In terms of mind working slower than the mouth - it's probably a symptom of ADHD or sluggish cognitive tempo (SCT) or ADD-I (predominantly inattentive). I have a form of that, but a minor one though. I kinda diagnosed myself - and the doctor was like okay you have ADD then, here's some adderall, lol. Like someone said I dont know how much longer I want to be on it.

6-heads lewis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks for the referral, I'll look into those. Is there something about adderrall that makes you want to get off of it? Also, do you get your meds free?

Getting help for surface problems leads to deep self-awareness. If you treat the surface problem, you might find a bigger one below it, and so on. It can be a wild ride.

trv26

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Few things.

About Therapy

Is this something you decided on your own or did ur doctor say you have no use for therapy? I recommend you talk to your doctor whether therapy might be useful.

Personally although I have a problem with anxiety, with some of it being no doubt innate, I'm hoping that the social skills I gain when I go back on the meds, (and I plan to get therapy at the same time) will eventually help me function normally without them.

Part of the reason for getting off the meds is the side-effects but also so I can think of myself as a normal human being. But I guess those worries wouldn't arise when I'm on the meds. :p.

OCD and Loveshyness
I've come across the term love shyness and wondered, whether it's in some ways a manifestation of OCD, with women being the objects of obsession.

Finally, assuming a cluster of OCD, social anxiety and love-shyness, would anti-depressants help with all these problems?

Furyguy

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Nice post man, thanks for opening up and letting us know about your challenges and how you overcame them.

I'd like to hear more about your lifting progress if you don't mind writing about it. I'm curious as to what programs you did, and for how long, what you saw the best results with and how far along into your progress you really started to notice a significant physical change.

I started lifting about eight months ago. I've done three cycles of Starting Strength for 5 weeks each, and I have to agree it's a ****ing amazing program. I don't want to get too off-topic as this isn't the Health forum, but I'd love to hear how your progress has been.

6-heads lewis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
trv26,

I didn't really think to ask about therapy, I guess it comes down to your viewpoint in life. Once I was able to control my thoughts and emotions I repaired relations with my family and dealt with past issues, so there's not much to talk about. I notice my well-being is directly related to the meds, so sometimes I'll be troubled by an issue, only to realize it was just a bad stretch, and within a few days that issue doesn't bother me anymore. About once a month, my meds seem to lose their effectiveness for a few days, but then it's back to normal. Usually it's a result of my drinking or dietary habits.

I understand your concern about viewing yourself as "normal", I'm eccentric anyway and don't care much about that lol.

I agree love shy has many characteristics of OCD, and I read Dr. Gilmartin's book, there are many other signs of OCD among the respondents studied. What works best for me when I have OCD attacks is admitting I'm powerless. Rather than fighting or reasoning with the thoughts, I just accept it as a disorder that should go away soon, and I don't act on the irrational thoughts. It's much easier that way.

I am very glad to have the side effect of reduced libido, it saves a lot of time and trouble. I never got laid anyway, before I used to jak off 3x/day, now it's about 1 or 2x/week.

Furyguy said:
Nice post man, thanks for opening up and letting us know about your challenges and how you overcame them.

I'd like to hear more about your lifting progress if you don't mind writing about it. I'm curious as to what programs you did, and for how long, what you saw the best results with and how far along into your progress you really started to notice a significant physical change.

I started lifting about eight months ago. I've done three cycles of Starting Strength for 5 weeks each, and I have to agree it's a ****ing amazing program. I don't want to get too off-topic as this isn't the Health forum, but I'd love to hear how your progress has been.
It's not really off topic, it's still self improvement and discussing interactions with women. I didn't do anything unusual, just followed the advice of smarter people and it worked well. H&F guided me greatly.

I started at 140lbs, and wasted the first 2 months on a sh!t program, Anthony Ellis I think his name is. I started Rippetoe doing 3x/week as in the book, and ate a ridiculous amount of food, with decent results.

I didn't like all the squatting though, and the lifts after squats were poor, since I was so exhausted. There is a history of bad knees and legs in my family, and within a few weeks I was burnt. As crazy as it might sound to noobs, 3x/week was too much for me,.I began going every 3rd day. So Monday, Thursday, Sunday, then Wednesday, Saturday, Tuesday, and so on. Totaling 6 days of rest before repeating the workout. I got much stronger this way. Eventually I made my own spin-off, as follows:

Workout A

Deadlifts - warmups, then 1x5 moderate, 1x3 heavy, 3x1 very heavy
Bench press - warmups, then 1x6 moderate, 1x4 heavy, 2x2 very heavy
Abs
Maybe: 2x5 close-grip chin or pull, to focus more on the arms/trapz/shoulders than back

Workout B
Squat - same as deadlifts
Military press - same as bench
Maybe: 2x5 wide grip pull-ups or 2x5 dips, whichever felt fresher
Abs

I had the gym to myself typically, so I would interchange the big exercises. For example, I'd do 1 set of deadlifts, then 1 set of bench, until I finished them all. That way both are hit effectively, rather than doing all of 1 exercise, then while tired doing all of another exercise. LOTS of rest in between the heaviest lifts, nothing rushed, often 5 minutes. I used my 75 minutes to move as HEAVY iron as possible in the MAJOR lifts, rather than look for volume or flashy exercises.

As you can see, I always did low reps, and I went near my 1-rep max every day. I never ever went above 6 reps on any working set, even in pullups and dips, add weight to yourself if you have to. I did bench press with dumbells, used the hammer grip rather than barbell-type grip. I LOVED the way it worked triceps and abs so much, and it required less balance, so I could use heavier weights. I also noticed my chest became wider as I did this exercise. If it gets boring or progress stalls, switch DB hammer presses with barbell bench, and switch military press with incline bench press for a while.

I went from 140 to 200 in about 1 year, then tapered off, and eventually lost motivation. I haven't been to the gym in over a year, yet I haven't lost any weight and only look slightly less muscular. Of course my gut has grown.

At home, I do the most difficult body exercises, never above 5 or 6 reps. The pike presses and handstand pushups I explained in the first post, I also do regular pushups elevated on 3 chairs, and go as deep as possible. I wear a weighted backpack if it becomes too easy. I attached C-clamps to the rafters in the basement, and do pull-ups off of them. Also handstands are a great exercise

I won't get into diet, but the basic rule is EAT! EAT! EAT! eat everythign and anything. If you're working out hard, eat lots of fast food if you want to. Eat lots of meat and potatoes, drink lots of omega fats. For supplements I used Purple-K creatine pills, I forget what they're called, casein protein before bed, whey protein before and after a workout, and glutamine every day. trueprotein.com is a great site.

One very odd thing I should point out is that I didn't look my size while working out. I was a very strong 200lbs, but didn't look big, only about 180. After several months off, I looked much bigger. I can't explain why, but a long rest let me fill into my frame, now I really look 200-220 lbs despite being significantly weaker. So don't panic if you have to take time off.

Furyguy

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks for the long and detailed post.

I just took about two weeks off for Christmas / New Year's, and after coming back weaker I'm starting to really regret it.

I put on about 50 pounds since last February and I've definitely noticed a lot more female attention lately. Of course, so many things have changed about my personality too that I can't say it's entirely due to lifting. It's a great feeling though. I want to be a ****ing head-turner. I want to be that guy that has such a great body he doesn't even have to try anymore. Thinking about where I'll be in another year gets me excited because of all the potential it holds.

Luminescence

Don Juan
Reaction score
Great thread.

I also read that book by Brian Gilmartin and was surprised how perfectly I fit many of the descriptions.

An other note is that working out also dramatically changes your physiology, it probably worked really well with the meds.