Finally did 2.5x bodyweight deadlift!

Fuglydude

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I finally hit a 2.5x bodyweight deadlift! Pulled 420 lbs raw, (well except for chalk) at 168 lb bodyweight.

I'm not a competitive powerlifter or anything, so its kind of an acheivement for me as one of my long term strength goals is to eventually pull a 3x bodyweight deadlift.

Its strange how getting all fired up prior to pulling max weights is almost detrimental. When I did this max I basically just relaxed for a few minutes, closed my eyes and thought about positive things that made me happy (yah I know that sounds cheesy!)...then went and just pulled it. I didn't really think about the weight too much, just kinda went over and pulled it.

Just wondering if anyone here pulls in the 3x bodyweight range...if so...care to share secrets?

Frink'

Don Juan
Reaction score
Thats greate! Congratulations! :) Keep doing what you did and youll pull 500 in no time. Relatively speaking ... may take a while. Who knows :p

How do you train and eat now? Reps in the 1-3 range generally don't build alot of muscle, so if you're hellbent on not gaining weight, don't eat enough to gain and don't do high reps :p

Fuglydude

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Frink' said:
Thats greate! Congratulations! :) Keep doing what you did and youll pull 500 in no time. Relatively speaking ... may take a while. Who knows :p

How do you train and eat now? Reps in the 1-3 range generally don't build alot of muscle, so if you're hellbent on not gaining weight, don't eat enough to gain and don't do high reps :p
Thanks man... ya... I know I'll get to 500 one day! I'm pretty small: 5'8" - 168. Most people guess I weigh 185-190 though. I'd love to get bigger, but i have to stay lean because of my job.

Training, recently switched to a different kind of routine. Its very simple back/chest one day and legs/arms the next. I'm doing lighter weights with higher reps, focussing on slow contractions to really develop the mind-muscle connection. Hopefully this helps me to get bigger! I was doin the 5-day split thing before, so I think my body will benefit from the change. I'm also gonna try and do more cardio.

As for diet: 4-5 meals a day. I eat too much fruit, which prevents me from gettin leaner. Protein: try to get 200 g a day. I don't really eat that many complex carbs. For whatever reason they bloat me.

Drum&Bass

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
nice work on the deadlift !

Slow contractions mean nothing. Mind Muscle control is developed through tetanus, or MAXIMUM MUSCLE CONTRACTION, you achieve that through squeeze training. Using lighter weight and squeezing/contracting the muscle as hard as you can for every rep. The faster you lift the better just make sure you squeeze/contract as hard as possible.

squeeze training is not ideal for increasing strength but it will make your muscles look alot more defined.

EFFORT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Props man

muzicfreak2k3

Don Juan
Reaction score
Wow congrats, that really good. How do your other stats compare ?

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
congrats on the PR :)

just keep doing what you're doing until you stall out, then address what part of the deadlift (off the floor, lockout whatever) needs work to ensure sustained progress

Fuglydude

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I just bested by 420 today...did 425. It came up relatively easily which is weird especially since I wasn't full recovered from my last workout, and my back wasn't at 100%. I'm confident that my "real max", when I'm fresh and full regenerated is around 435 ish.

I'm finding that a strong leg drive at the bottom part of the lift is crucial in getting the weight up off the ground prior to pulling it to lock out. I use a narrow stance and use a narrow-ish grip as well...gotta keep things narrow and tight. I love just hanging onto the weight at the top of the lift for as long as I can. Your upper back takes a beating, but it feels great!

Muzikfreak, other lifts...hmm.. I don't lift "conventionally" as I have various naggig injuries from olympic lifting, etc. However, my front squat is around 275 lbs, and my powerclean is 230 lbs. These are lifts from several months ago, so I'm pretty sure I could lift more now.

HK1

Don Juan
Reaction score
Nice.

A gain is a gain & 425 is still far out of reach of most people that weight 100lbs more then yourself. Good luck pulling 435.