Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Finally deciding upon a career

dereklovesugly

Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm just wondering how some of you decided upon your career and found your passion in life. Any kind of self help or a topic in the forum? I've been a cook my whole adult life. Been sous (2nd in charge) chef a few times. I like cooking but I know I can't and don't wanna do this for forever. The money is ok, but not what I feel I deserve or am worth. I've gotten a degree in computers but i realized im not a big fan of it. I'm kind of hesitant on going back to college of im gonna finish a degree to find i dont like the career.

Just looking for a little advice on how I can take the next step in my life.

Deadly_Ripped

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If you aren't passionate about anything in particular, then you might as well try to do something that'll make you rich, or at the very least extremely well-off.

You need to ask yourself a few questions:
1. How much freedom do you need in a job?
2. Do you require or desire a 9-5 job?
3. Do you want your career to be your life both inside- and outside- your place of work?
4. Do you want to work from home?
5. Do you want to directly help people in your job?
6. Do you have the money and time to get a 4-year degree?
7. Do you need to work with your hands?
8. Do you enjoy writing?
9. Do you need to make a lot of money in your new career to be happy with it?

There are many more questions, but these are very broad, but career-limiting questions that'll narrow down the field of potential careers relatively quickly.

Honestly, there are professionals who can guide you through this process MUCH, MUCH better than any single post or article. What you really need is unbiased (i.e. your family and friends and current co-workers are biased because they have their own agendas and already think they know what is best for you), knowledgeable, professional advice from someone who has made it their career to help others find proper careers.

This means you'll have to find a career counselor and pay that person a small sum of money (relatively little for priceless career guidance), and they'll do their best to help you find your path.

The best advice I can give is: don't expect to have sure footing before launching into a new career, but expect to have a path worked out ahead of time. Take action tomorrow or you risk spending the next several years doing what you don't want to do.

dereklovesugly

Don Juan
Reaction score
A couple things. Where may one find a career guidance counselor? At a college? I wasn't expecting 1 post the answer all my questions (sorry if I came off like that). I was thinking maybe a book or 2 or 10 that might've helped someone here. I've been pondering alot of the questions you posted recently and I've decided I want to live comfortably (decent starting pay plus and advancement opportunities). I'm not opposed to a 4 year. But thanks for the advice.

Deadly_Ripped

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Didn't mean to imply that you were expecting all of the answers from one post, but I just wanted to be explicit that solid career advice is priceless, and is best sought out from a professional.

If you go to any large bookstore and go to their career section, they have dozens, and maybe even hundreds, of books on career selection advice. The best way to attack the monstrous task of selecting a book is actually to look at reviews on amazon.com or other book-selling websites. I recommend any book that has self-test inventories that will help you identify your interests and professional strengths. Bonus points if these tests come in electronic format with the purchase of the book, and even more bonus points if there are additional electronic resources for help.

The internet is your friend in the case of selecting a book or two to help you through the process.

In the mean time, you can take the Briggs-Meyers personality test for free, and it can help you narrow down the careers that MAY (and I stress the may because it's really meant to be general guidance and not a hard-and-fast list of careers to investigate) point you in the direction of a few potential careers to look into.

Here's where you can take the Briggs Meyers test free: http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes2.asp

Just answer the questions quickly - take 1-3 seconds at most after reading each question to answer and go with your gut. At the end it'll give you a 4-letter code that identifies your "type." Use the internet to search for more details about good careers for this type of person and browse broadly for this information, as you may find certain less credible sources vary widely and may be trying ot persuade you into purchasing more information or using some online college BS.

By the way - short note - DO NOT USE AN ONLINE COLLEGE. The degree is worthless and will only lose further value in the next decade. They are an abomination of education and aren't even actually less expensive than attending a real community or 4-year state college.

Best of luck to you with your career change. Change is good.