Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

fileing capital gains tax

danny987

Don Juan
Reaction score
how do you go about doing it? Me and my dad are interested in getting into stocks and neither of us has experience with capital gains tax. does it come directly out of your brokerage account or do you pay it whenever you file federal taxes? and im sure someone well dog on me telling me that i need to study alot more, and well thats what im doing.:rock:

insomniac

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
In January, your brokerage will send you a 1099 form showing what you sold during the past year. If you had held that stock longer a year, then you pay 15% of the profit on your income tax return due in April. If you held it less than a year, then you count it as income.

danny987

Don Juan
Reaction score
insomniac said:
If you held it less than a year, then you count it as income.
if it counts as income what percentage well you get charged

DrMetallica

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
danny987 said:
if it counts as income what percentage well you get charged
Marginal tax rate --- depends on your income level. Anywhere from 10 to 35 pc. Also know that u can only deduct $3.000,- py in excess of gains -- the rest is carryforward. Unless it's Sec 1244 qualified small-business stock, in that case u can deduct up to $53.000,- py and the rest is carryforward. But I doubt you'll have Sec 1244 if ur dealing with a broker.