Fear: It's only what you make it out to be

st_99

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
penkitten said:
you are right, fear is not real and it is only what we make it to be.

Well, we certianly need fear to live. There is healthy fear and unhealthy fear.

If you smoke you should fear getting cancer so you'll be motivated to quit. If some guy is pointing a gun at you, yeah you should be afraid. That will trigger a defense response, run!

But yes, some fears are irrational and a burden to your life. You shouldn't fear approaching girls or things of that nature.

The OP says "You could put me in jail, strip everything I have, and I would still be a happy guy.. "

Ok, that makes no sense. What motivation do you have to stay within the law if you think you'll be happy in jail! Give me a break.

Not all fear is bad and you can't block out all fear or you'll be reckless. You just have to recognize whats irrational.

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

If you smoke you should fear getting cancer so you'll be motivated to quit. If some guy is pointing a gun at you, yeah you should be afraid. That will trigger a defense response, run!

But yes, some fears are irrational and a burden to your life. You shouldn't fear approaching girls or things of that nature.

The OP says "You could put me in jail, strip everything I have, and I would still be a happy guy.. "

Ok, that makes no sense. What motivation do you have to stay within the law if you think you'll be happy in jail! Give me a break.

Not all fear is bad and you can't block out all fear or you'll be reckless. You just have to recognize whats irrational.
why? So you can not die? So why are you afraid of death? ARE you are afraid of death? I'm not ready to die but I'm not afraid of it in the least bit.

Again it goes back to what you make it out to be. if you deem it necessary that death is a fear worth fearing, then you will fear it.

Just because I don't want to go to jail, of course I don't WANT to, I've been locked up before, doesn't mean I FEAR it. Big difference. To put it in another way, I'm not going to follow my life's path in fear of being locked up, or anything of the like.

Again, the person who is afraid of everything, has experienced nothing.

st_99

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Not to go off topic, but I think you said you make a living on horse betting..?

My dad gambled on horses his whole life and sucked at it. I was a "track baby" lol.

Anyway, I didn't think it was possible to consistently win. The game is completely rigged against you. I find it hard to believe. I just don't think there is any edge you can exploit.

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Anyway, I didn't think it was possible to consistently win. The game is completely rigged against you. I find it hard to believe. I just don't think there is any edge you can exploit.
well I'm living proof that there is. there are alot of people scattered across the country/world who do as well

alot of people don't understand however, I spent since I turned 17 dicecting this game. not watching in past time hours upon hours. when I wasn't working on my company I was breaking down races, learning pedigrees, track biases, tendencies of certain jockies and trainers.. I am a true student of the game. I could probably write a mini encyclopedia with everything I know about horse racing. alot of times I don't even have to look at race cards, I know everything I need to know by just knowing the name of the horse, that's how many races I watch, and that's the type of dedication it takes. The reason why 95% of people who come to the track don't make a profit (besides the fact that's it's para-mutal wagering, and it's not possible) is because 95% of people aren't willing to put that much effort into something.

however to answer your post, horse racing is one of the only sports in the country NOT rigged for you to be a loser. it's Para-Mutual wagering. I'm not betting against the track. I'm betting against everyone else in the stands.

the track is going to get a certain percentage (takeout) of the handle regardless. they could care less who actually wins.

you have trainers who cheat, jockies who can't ride to save their lives, but these are all things you come to learn when you watch enough races.

I watch, actually sit down and Watch over 100 races on avg a day. (thank god for racereplays.com)

my dad goes to the track, introduced me to the game when I was 7, and he couldn't hold a candle to me when it comes to handicapping a race.

It's actually pretty simple. know your win percentage and know what it's going to take to make a positive ROI. As good of as a handicapper as you may be, you aren't going to win every race. that's where most people fail. once you realize that race you move on... how can i make money if I can't win every race. Well, you do so by having a positive ROI. I win at about a 38% clip of races I actually bet on. That's higher than avg, but that's not the sole reason I actually turn a profit. I fi was betting on 7/5 shots all day long I would still be in the hole.

I started making money when I figured out when NOT to bet.

I'll give you 2 examples, a losing one and a winning one but both would you on the way to a long term profit.

Take this years Belmont. I even made a post here about it. I put a HUGE amount of money, about triple my normal bet, on imawildandcrazyguy.

why? he wasn't the best horse in the race, Curlin was (is). However, considering he was 1) bred to run farther than anyone in the race besides rags to riches and 2) finished a half a lengh behind curlin in the kentucky derby and got a month off as opposed to Curlin who got 2 weeks off, and curlin was 7/5 and Imawildandcrazyguy was I think 19 to 1, it wasn't even a tough bet to make.

I figured if the pace setup rigiht, with hard spun going to the front, CP west on their tail, you would have a Rag's Curlin & imawildandcrazyguy trifecta. then the only question left was, did imawildandcrazyguy have enough kick to get past them. At 19 to 1, **** it's worth the risk. I knew i might loose. I knew I probably WAS going to loose, but it's what I call a 'sound bet" and had no problem with it.

this is where 90% of ALL handicappers fail. they fail to see that type of logic, but ti's that type of logic it takes to win races. 66^ of the time the best horse doesn't win, fav's only win 1 out of 3. I could see a situtation where curlin was to tired and the distance too much (which happened).. however hard spun's jockey didn't hit the lead and gave CP West and Slew's Tizzy an easy pace to go at, with imawildandcrazyguys late running style, I knew the race was over at the half mile pole. I had a very small amont on Rags as what I call a "drink money bet", like 30 bucks, no where near what i normally bet, not even close, and i made bout 130 bucks off of her.. enough for just that... drinks for the night. But if imawildandcrazyguy would have came home (and if he would had Tiago in 2nd and Rags in 3rd which was a long, LONG shot to happen, but I would have been done for the rest of the year, on a 2 dollar bet.. probably 500k dollar payoff tri).. but if imawildandcrazyguy could have came home, and given the right race with the right pace I still think he could have, he proved that in the derby I would have banked over 200k.

My biggest score of the year and my 2nd biggest ever came 2-3 weeks ago at Hollywood park. I would be lying if I said it was anythnig more tan an extremely educated guess.

Bright Prediction, a horse, better yet gelding, who was trained by Art Sherman, who was one of the better ones in the buisness, had been running this horse at the 10,000 claiming level on dirt and getting beat. not badly beated.. but beaten. A trainer who was 55% at the meet at hollywood with like 6 starters and had an ROI already of like 26 dollars per dollar, claimed him, switched him to turf in a 35,000 claiming race.

that's a HUGE jump. that's about a 4 and in some places 5 level jump. But then I looked back and saw he had NEVER in his life ran on grass. humm... I knew by name of the horse the stallion was Dance Brightly, who himself is by Mr. prospector whoose horses can run on grahm crackers if you made them. Dance Brighly himself sired a Virgnina Derby winner, which is a Grade 2 Turf race. All in all, within Bright perdictions 3x pedigree line, he had Mr Prospector, Danzing (GREAT turf sire, sire of hard spun, who will be a better turf horse than dirt) and Olympio who himself was no slouch on the turf.

this horse might not be a monster on the turf,b ut his I came to the conclusion that whatever he did, he was going to do his best running ON the turf. Why he hadn't been tried on the turf I have no idea. But he hadn't, and he was bred to love it (or at least take to it) and this trainer, cheating or not I dont' know but was pulling rabbits out of his ass left and right.

even wit that said, the betting choice fav, I forgot.. I know it was a Ron Ellis horse becaus I was looking at his hot ass 18 year old Daughter before the race (she's about an HB8). I think iminthemood. I am probably wrong. Regardless, I didn't like him to win. he never won. he was a money burner. he was what I call a defalt betting choice, which is when people can't find something they like so they take the lesser of the evils.

So I went into the day knowing i had a live longshot, or at least one I thought to be one.

and this is why I LOVE hollywood park. 15 horse field.. the horse goes off at.. get this..81 to 1. I am not going to tell you how much I put down (not THAT much because the more you put odwn the lower the odds go) but it was enough to where I was guaranteed to have a profit for the rest of the year regardless of what happens.

Looking at his past races he came from the back and tired to have a late kick and never was strong enough. I knew when they hit the 7/8ths pole I had this bet won. He was a head behind the tiring leader and hadn't even been asked yet.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/horse...189.story?coll=la-headlines-sports-horse_raci

He ended up in a duel and pulled away. 2nd biggest score of my life. the same perdicument as the one in the Belmont except it worked out. I didn't think he was the best horse in the race, but the horse should have been, with that breeding, no more than 10 to 1. NO more. that's turf breeding up and down. 81 to 1? you have to take a stab.

I was one of the few people alive in the pick 6 after that..and got knocked out by a freakin fav. My horse I WANTED got bumped so bad he was knocked sideway or else he might hve won. and they took down the horse that did it but he still only got moved up to 3rd. I lost the next leg anyway so it wouldn't have mattered.

There are some races when 8/5 is an overlay. If invasor would have ran in the Suburban, anything over even money i would have plopped down. he wasn't loosing that race. Same with Curlin in the arkansas derby. i racked up. there was no way in hell Curlin was going to loose that race. Pletcher sent in an overmatched allowence horse named deadly dealer that took enough money that I actually got 8/5 on Curlin, who should have been 1/5

Another reason... the man who thinks he can and the man who thinks he can't are usually both right. I never took NO for an answer. it got to the point , even when I had my company, this was the only possible future life for me. Failure wasn't an option.

with that attitude you have, that everything is rigged against you, you are doomed for failure.

donjuan87

Don Juan
Reaction score
Quiksilver said:
I have this attitude for everything, and from what I've seen, it's a dangerous attitude to have. Without a purpose, the notion that you could be happy(content) with whatever situation you're in could sink you to the bottom. With an attitude like this, it's imperative to find your passion and drive. I'm still working on it...

It is an INCREDIBLY dangerous attitude to have. Take it from someone who knows from firsthand experience.

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
passion for something life is not something I am lacking

However I never FEAR a situtation I am in. I might not LIKE it but fear is not the world I would use

Holland

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I don't know if this could work against me: I don't own a car, I live with my parents. In other words, could the psychological part that knowing I don't have a place to intimate with a girl could play against me, or am I focusing on external things that really don't matter.
I dont have those things either and it doesn't work against me....

If you build attraction it doesn't really matter, it'll override all your 'shortcomings'. And if girls start making eye contact with you their are probably interested, so you should consider yourself lucky. Most guys don't have that advantage as they start out.
You need to stop limiting yourself and like Nike's slogan says: "Just do it."

You can waste YEARS shying away from women and die lonely and unfullfilled. Is that what you want? I don't think so, so it's waaaay smarter to take the risks now than to live a life of regret.

penkitten

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
st_99 said:
i agree that some fear is healthy and it keeps my children safe in this world BUT that really is not "fear" it is instinct. i teach my children to cross a street safely. they are afraid of getting hit by a car because if they do not look both ways, it might happen. i haven't really taught them to be afraid of traffic have i? i have taught them to be aware of their surroundings so that they may be safe.

breaking the law and serving jail time, is a consequence. i don't break the law because i fear jail, i simply don't break the law because i don't want to go to jail. i already know it is somewhere i don't want to be.

the thread starter really wasn't talking about instincts and consequences for your actions so much as he was talking about "dont be afraid to live your life" "dont be afraid to ask someone out" "dont be afraid of what others think."

all fear is fear and fear is not real.
it does not exist and is just an illusion. it is a mistake that you have thought up and must be forgotten and you have to be willing to let it go.

st_99

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
backbreaker said:
well I'm living proof that there is. there are alot of people scattered across the country/world who do as well

alot of people don't understand however, I spent since I turned 17 dicecting this game. not watching in past time hours upon hours. when I wasn't working on my company I was breaking down races, learning pedigrees, track biases, tendencies of certain jockies and trainers.. I am a true student of the game. I could probably write a mini encyclopedia with everything I know about horse racing. alot of times I don't even have to look at race cards, I know everything I need to know by just knowing the name of the horse, that's how many races I watch, and that's the type of dedication it takes. The reason why 95% of people who come to the track don't make a profit (besides the fact that's it's para-mutal wagering, and it's not possible) is because 95% of people aren't willing to put that much effort into something.

however to answer your post, horse racing is one of the only sports in the country NOT rigged for you to be a loser. it's Para-Mutual wagering. I'm not betting against the track. I'm betting against everyone else in the stands.

the track is going to get a certain percentage (takeout) of the handle regardless. they could care less who actually wins.

you have trainers who cheat, jockies who can't ride to save their lives, but these are all things you come to learn when you watch enough races.

I watch, actually sit down and Watch over 100 races on avg a day. (thank god for racereplays.com)

my dad goes to the track, introduced me to the game when I was 7, and he couldn't hold a candle to me when it comes to handicapping a race.

It's actually pretty simple. know your win percentage and know what it's going to take to make a positive ROI. As good of as a handicapper as you may be, you aren't going to win every race. that's where most people fail. once you realize that race you move on... how can i make money if I can't win every race. Well, you do so by having a positive ROI. I win at about a 38% clip of races I actually bet on. That's higher than avg, but that's not the sole reason I actually turn a profit. I fi was betting on 7/5 shots all day long I would still be in the hole.

I started making money when I figured out when NOT to bet.

I'll give you 2 examples, a losing one and a winning one but both would you on the way to a long term profit.

Take this years Belmont. I even made a post here about it. I put a HUGE amount of money, about triple my normal bet, on imawildandcrazyguy.

why? he wasn't the best horse in the race, Curlin was (is). However, considering he was 1) bred to run farther than anyone in the race besides rags to riches and 2) finished a half a lengh behind curlin in the kentucky derby and got a month off as opposed to Curlin who got 2 weeks off, and curlin was 7/5 and Imawildandcrazyguy was I think 19 to 1, it wasn't even a tough bet to make.

I figured if the pace setup rigiht, with hard spun going to the front, CP west on their tail, you would have a Rag's Curlin & imawildandcrazyguy trifecta. then the only question left was, did imawildandcrazyguy have enough kick to get past them. At 19 to 1, **** it's worth the risk. I knew i might loose. I knew I probably WAS going to loose, but it's what I call a 'sound bet" and had no problem with it.

this is where 90% of ALL handicappers fail. they fail to see that type of logic, but ti's that type of logic it takes to win races. 66^ of the time the best horse doesn't win, fav's only win 1 out of 3. I could see a situtation where curlin was to tired and the distance too much (which happened).. however hard spun's jockey didn't hit the lead and gave CP West and Slew's Tizzy an easy pace to go at, with imawildandcrazyguys late running style, I knew the race was over at the half mile pole. I had a very small amont on Rags as what I call a "drink money bet", like 30 bucks, no where near what i normally bet, not even close, and i made bout 130 bucks off of her.. enough for just that... drinks for the night. But if imawildandcrazyguy would have came home (and if he would had Tiago in 2nd and Rags in 3rd which was a long, LONG shot to happen, but I would have been done for the rest of the year, on a 2 dollar bet.. probably 500k dollar payoff tri).. but if imawildandcrazyguy could have came home, and given the right race with the right pace I still think he could have, he proved that in the derby I would have banked over 200k.

My biggest score of the year and my 2nd biggest ever came 2-3 weeks ago at Hollywood park. I would be lying if I said it was anythnig more tan an extremely educated guess.

Bright Prediction, a horse, better yet gelding, who was trained by Art Sherman, who was one of the better ones in the buisness, had been running this horse at the 10,000 claiming level on dirt and getting beat. not badly beated.. but beaten. A trainer who was 55% at the meet at hollywood with like 6 starters and had an ROI already of like 26 dollars per dollar, claimed him, switched him to turf in a 35,000 claiming race.

that's a HUGE jump. that's about a 4 and in some places 5 level jump. But then I looked back and saw he had NEVER in his life ran on grass. humm... I knew by name of the horse the stallion was Dance Brightly, who himself is by Mr. prospector whoose horses can run on grahm crackers if you made them. Dance Brighly himself sired a Virgnina Derby winner, which is a Grade 2 Turf race. All in all, within Bright perdictions 3x pedigree line, he had Mr Prospector, Danzing (GREAT turf sire, sire of hard spun, who will be a better turf horse than dirt) and Olympio who himself was no slouch on the turf.

this horse might not be a monster on the turf,b ut his I came to the conclusion that whatever he did, he was going to do his best running ON the turf. Why he hadn't been tried on the turf I have no idea. But he hadn't, and he was bred to love it (or at least take to it) and this trainer, cheating or not I dont' know but was pulling rabbits out of his ass left and right.

even wit that said, the betting choice fav, I forgot.. I know it was a Ron Ellis horse becaus I was looking at his hot ass 18 year old Daughter before the race (she's about an HB8). I think iminthemood. I am probably wrong. Regardless, I didn't like him to win. he never won. he was a money burner. he was what I call a defalt betting choice, which is when people can't find something they like so they take the lesser of the evils.

So I went into the day knowing i had a live longshot, or at least one I thought to be one.

and this is why I LOVE hollywood park. 15 horse field.. the horse goes off at.. get this..81 to 1. I am not going to tell you how much I put down (not THAT much because the more you put odwn the lower the odds go) but it was enough to where I was guaranteed to have a profit for the rest of the year regardless of what happens.

Looking at his past races he came from the back and tired to have a late kick and never was strong enough. I knew when they hit the 7/8ths pole I had this bet won. He was a head behind the tiring leader and hadn't even been asked yet.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/horse...189.story?coll=la-headlines-sports-horse_raci

He ended up in a duel and pulled away. 2nd biggest score of my life. the same perdicument as the one in the Belmont except it worked out. I didn't think he was the best horse in the race, but the horse should have been, with that breeding, no more than 10 to 1. NO more. that's turf breeding up and down. 81 to 1? you have to take a stab.

I was one of the few people alive in the pick 6 after that..and got knocked out by a freakin fav. My horse I WANTED got bumped so bad he was knocked sideway or else he might hve won. and they took down the horse that did it but he still only got moved up to 3rd. I lost the next leg anyway so it wouldn't have mattered.

There are some races when 8/5 is an overlay. If invasor would have ran in the Suburban, anything over even money i would have plopped down. he wasn't loosing that race. Same with Curlin in the arkansas derby. i racked up. there was no way in hell Curlin was going to loose that race. Pletcher sent in an overmatched allowence horse named deadly dealer that took enough money that I actually got 8/5 on Curlin, who should have been 1/5

Another reason... the man who thinks he can and the man who thinks he can't are usually both right. I never took NO for an answer. it got to the point , even when I had my company, this was the only possible future life for me. Failure wasn't an option.

with that attitude you have, that everything is rigged against you, you are doomed for failure.

Well you certainly sound like you know what your talking about. I take that its like poker. You're playing for other players money not the house.. they just take their "fee." Therefore the smarter and better informed players end up with the dumb money.

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
EXACTLY

that's why if I am in a casino, the only game I will even consider is poker. Also why for the most part, I stay out of the UK where alot of tracks don't use the para-mutual wagering system.

i like you don't like the idea of betting against a multi million dollar corp... my dad was kicked out of a casino because he won too much money. that's pathetic

st_99

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
So basically the way to get the edge is knowing EVERYTHING there is to know about the horses, trainers, tracks, stats, cheaters, weather..etc.

Also, I heard that harness races tend to be kind of "shady"

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
even I dont' know everything.

If I had to trim it down, it would be to 1) know more than everyone else in the stands knows and 2) only place a wager when there is in your mind a guarantee of long term profit. in other words, if I made this bet 100 times, would I a) loose money, b) break even or c) make money

Perfect example, I liked street sense in the kentucky derby. he dad, street cry, loved sandy dirt surfaces that are loose (street cries two best races were at churchill and in Dubai, a track that is for the most part identical to churchill, very sandy, very loose). Plus Street Sense's best race of his life came 7 months earlier on the same track.

HOWEVER, I said to myself.. if I make this bet 100 times, I think he will win 15 times. Add in your 20 percent for track takeout and you are looking at odds of right about 25 to 1. STreet Sens, contary to belief, was not hte best horse in the race. Curlin was. Street Sense however, had a track advantage. Since street sense went off at 9/2.. I figured he might win, he even probably deserved to be the favorite, but he got the best trip of his life on a track he loved. that's not a winning wager, at least in my eyes. Hope that made sense.

I honestly don't care about loosing races, as long as the logic I used to pick the winner is sound. I'm going to hover around 35-38% at the end of the day, week, month, meet or year. I'mg oing to win some, I'm going to loose some. The only time I really get mad is when like the jockey drops his whip and I loose by a nose.. but than again.. that's why I'm at 38 percent.. there is a factor that you can't control, and that's why you just don't bet on horses that yout hink will win. I've had horses submle, get stuck, jockies fall off, horses veer, horses get stuck in the gate, dead heats, a jockey getting ****y and wrapping a horse and gets nosed out at the wier.. you've seen it, it's happened to me, on the likewise, I've won under the same circumstances.

to sum up, part of it you CAN'T, no matter how hard you try, perdict. you just can't. the trick is to find all the factors you can and make an educated decision.

learn how to read a tote board.. not just the odds, but where the smart and dumb money is coming from. If I see a horse that I am kinda liking as a long shot and there is another hosre who I like is say.. 4/1.. and when the tote comes up the 4/1 horse opens at 1/5.... I'm out of the race. I won't even make a bet. someone knows something, an owner, or trainer, someone, to plop a huge amount of money in hte morning on a horse that I thought figured anyway.

again, years and years of experience.

Harness racing is like stealing candy from babies. If you can figure out who will get to the lead, more times than not you will find your winner. YOu get alot more BOMBS in harness racing, but the pool isn't there (and it's just not as exciting).. but like my.. I'm going to call her my GF for this post.. who is an exercise rider down here.. she'll come over and we will sit up and just watch Cal Expo and have some fun. it's not hard, it's just a different set of handicapping rules and you have to pay a hell of alot more attention to trips.

CF9

Don Juan
Reaction score
IMO, to not experience fear is unnatural... There is absolutely nothing wrong w/ fear; it's all in how you handle it. Fear is simply something to face & overcome. W/out fear (i.e., something to overcome), what real challenges are there in life? I WANT to experience fear, and I want to stare it down & come through it... That's just who I am..

Ryan69

Don Juan
Reaction score
Horse racing is about WHO you know not WHAT you know

It's a game of connections where INSIDERS can make decent money and beat the odds

I have a pal who makes money betting horses and he could'nt name you a single horse or jockey on the planet

he just knows the sharp money from the dumb money. When the wiseguys wager he follows

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Horse racing is about WHO you know not WHAT you know

It's a game of connections where INSIDERS can make decent money and beat the odds

I have a pal who makes money betting horses and he could'nt name you a single horse or jockey on the planet

he just knows the sharp money from the dumb money. When the wiseguys wager he follows

thank you for that very intelligent insight Ryan69

Again, i can write a book on horse racing. a huge one. And to some extent you are absolutly correct. I would be lying if I said I never cashed a bet because of a hot tip. But you will never make a living doing so. EVER. it's not possible.

Perfect example... April (I want to say first)... I got to the track. All the clockers (people who clock the horses in the morning in workouts) were talking about the first race. This had been going on for about 2-3 days. A filly by the name of Coco Belle was going to "win with the most of ease". When I got to the track 45 minutes before the 1st race, she was 1/9. Someone put a hell of alot of money on her.

I'm not taking 1/9 on Secretariat I don't give a damn who he's going agianst..

Eventually it got back to about 3/5.. And ran a GREAT Race. Ran I think a 91 Beyer Speed Figure which for a filly maiden is FLYING.. That wll win you 99% of maiden filly races by at least 10 lenghts.

and she got smoked.

Why? Oh, the clockers were right on the money. She was going to run huge and she did. however, whey they DIDN'T account for was a first time filly by the name of magnificence. Magnificence ran a freakin 96 Beyer in her first ever race.

Coco Belle rumped home in her next start...

let me put that in perspective. In the kentucky Derby, there were only 4 horses to EVER run faster than that PERIOD... Curlin, Street Sense, Scat Daddy and Circular Quay. No other horse in the derby ever ran faster than a 96 Beyer Speed Figure. I think Stormello Came Close. In HER first race she outdid over half the kentucky derby crop.

Coco Belle ****ed around and ran into probably the best filly I have ever seen with my own two eyes in person. And not only that.. she did it VERY Easily.

http://www.ntra.com/content.aspx?type=news&id=24361

the next race out they jumped her to Stakes Class.. and she ran a ho hum 109... That 109 puts her literary a hair behind Street Sense in the Kentucky Derby who ran a 110. However I doubt her form will carry that far being out of stormy Atlantic, but still. and when she was done running didn't even take a deep breath. However you haven't heard about her because after that race she had a chip in her ankle.. she will be back in about a month or two.. probably the only filly that can touch rags to riches and I think NOOOOOO one... male or female, wants any part of magnificence under a mile... don't' know if that pedigree will carry however.

Back to my point, as you see I can talk all day. In a game where there are owners, jockies, trainers.. of course you are going ot have some inside information. Owners want to know when their horses are going to be firing.. And most owners have big mouths.

If you go to the track enough like I do.. you notice certain trainer tendices... John Sherrif's will only sit in the owners box when he thinks he has a winner... I didn't say HAD I said THINKS.. otherwise he watches like everyone else on the floor. I can look at Bob Baffert and tell you before the race starts if his horse has a chance.. he gets really figity when he knows his horses are going to throw clunkers.... I quickly dismissed pvssycat doll a couple of Friday nights ago in a Grade 2.. he looked like he was going to slap Christiana O in an interview. The easiest of all to read is Ron Ellis.. whenever he brings his hot ass daughter to the track, the horses usually, not always, but usually wins. She likes to take pictures I suppose.

So yes, it's a game of more that can be broken down in numbers and fractions, that's why for the most part I don't use them.

One part I will give you credit that I did't bring up.. i normally don't touch maiden races with a 10 foot pole. If I have seen a horse 1-2 times.. you aren't going to spring somehting on me that I don't know about. a horse isn't going to run 10th, 10th, 10th and then in the same class level win going away. doesn't work like that. But Maiden races.... that's how the inside of the track industry greeses their hands. Muffing workout times...I was at clocker's corner one morning and I heard a trainer tell the CLOCKER what the horse worked..a nd it was about 4 seconds higher than what he really did. This has been going on for years.. and it goes back to my basic premise.. dont' bet on something you haven't seen race with your own two eyes.

even with that said... there are going to be some times when you just odn't know. can't do anything but laugh it off. again, year after year.. I'm at 35ish percent. I know where Im going to be.

toteboard watching... I"m a HUGE fan of it AT CERTAIN TRACKS.

Not in socal.. there's too much money in the pools.. but at Paririe Meadows, Tampa Bay Downs, tracks like that...**** there are times I dont' even bother handicaping the races, espically at Paririe meadows.

When you deal with bottom level horses, it's not so much are they good enough, it's are they healthy. That's why you get so many bombs in like, 5k claiming races...every horse in the damn field was good enough at one point to win a 5k claimer.. the question is, who is healthy enough? I've seen 20/1 morning line odd horses there get hammered..and If I see let's say.. at Paririe Meadows, Tim Doocy is the joc and he gets HAMMERED down.. that tells me I need to back off that race.. unless I liked the horse anyway.

Again.. I'm not here to defend what I do.. i do what I do and I'm damn good at it. But I"m trying ot offer some light to people who actually believe every misconception on earth.