Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Favorite battle in a movie?

War Against Betaism

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
For me I don't think you can get any better than the battle of Minas Tirith in Return of the King. Other war movies build up a lot of suspense where you're just waiting for that final battle, and when that part of the movie comes, it's just two large armies clashing at each other with limbs flying everywhere (The Last Samurai). The productions are put to good use but the battle itself was just basically eye candy galore. Minas Tirith, there was emotion, twists and turns (in a frikkin battle, how badass can you get), AND good aesthetics.

Second for me is a tie between the bridge battle in Saving Private Ryan, the battle of Stirling in Braveheart, the battle of Endor in Return of the Jedi, and the battle at the gate at the end of Return of the King. For the latter, the productions weren't nearly as good as Minas Tirith, but it was the first movie that made me cry during a battle. Yeah I cried, I don't know why too.

Gubby

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I gotta agree, the battles in lord of the rings were class. Hell, like everything in those movies.

I'm struggling to think of a favourite battle myself but it's just not coming. If we can include series as well as movies, I'd say One Piece has some of the most fresh, intense, unpredictable and thrilling fights I've ever seen.

WhitePimp

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The Helm's Deep one in the Two Towers was fvcking absurd!! I loved it.

Reaction score
I'm a space battle freak, so naturally StarWars has some of my favorite battles.. The ice battle on Hoth was great, because it was suspensful as they waited for the giant walkers to appear...the feeling in your gut when the speeders flew over mountains... Love it.

Basicly all of the battles in the Lord Of The Rings... awesome, awesome..simply awesome.. The battle that took place in front of the black gate was the most intense IMO... Finally the two forces meet head to head the same way the elves met the orcs 5,000 years pryor to invade maldor so they could destroy the ring..

Reaction score
BTW.. I hear a lot of people say that they didn't like the Lord Of The Rings...... How the hell can you not like The Lord Of The Rings??....I don't get it..

Gubby

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
EricInTheHouse said:
BTW.. I hear a lot of people say that they didn't like the Lord Of The Rings...... How the hell can you not like The Lord Of The Rings??....I don't get it..
By being a soulless ****. By thinking that not being part of a trend makes you look cool. It does, but - thinking that looking cool matters enough to not enjoy a good movie.

LOTR is good enough to sell your soul for. Repeatedly. No exaggeration.

Gubby

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
HAHA! Genius clip!

Though fuzzx. If a movie is SLOW then doesn't that mean you just watch it when you want to RELAX a bit? What's with all the hyperactivity? And the book, yeah, it's slow. But it's fu'cking RICH in detail. It's not ALL about the plot ya know.

And... LOTR the movie... it's not that slow Ô_o ok, it has build up, but the battle in Morir and the confrontation with the balrog -- pure class, and not a step out of pace.

Ah, speaking of martial arts movies, anyone seen Kungfusion?

KontrollerX

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Its a six way tie for me between the battle of stirling in Braveheart, to the opening battle of Gladiator to the opening battle at Thermopolaye in 300 ie "No Prisoners! No Mercy!!" battle, to the battle of the Hornburg in LOTR's Two Towers to finally the ending battle in The Patriot where Mel Gibson finally pwns that British bastard that killed his son and burned down a village with his friends and Heath Ledger's wife in the movie, also the scene where he had his young sons help him kill British regulars (the famous "aim small, miss small" scene) so they all could free Heath Ledger was quite good. :up:

The Bat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Band of Brothers

Gangs of New York (the ending battle)

Munich - well not so much battle scenes but the way the protagonists went about assassinating the black september

Smokin' Aces - my favorite, the Tremor brothers

300 - can't believe nobody mentioned this yet

Hmm, can't think of anything else right now. And yes to LOTR and Star Wars choices.

A Warrior's Words

Reaction score
Battle-wise, I've been big on Star Wars Episode I's, Theed Power Generator Duel with Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon going at Darth Maul. The battle was basically eskrima stick fighting to an extent, but it was entertaining to watch.

Another battle that I liked was the Prostitutes vs. the Cops in Sin City. Badass stuff from Frank Miller.:up:

In Motion

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Noone has mentioned the last samurai!? *sadness*

Its not my fav, but its still one hell of a battle. Obviosly the LOTR battles and 300 are among the best.

War Against Betaism

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The Bat said:
300 - can't believe nobody mentioned this yet
I was considering 300 but I think it pales in comparison to Minas Tirith and some other battles.

Tyron

Don Juan
Reaction score
Helm's deep in LOTR was pretty decent. "Now for wrath, now for ruin, and the Red dawn!" Saving Private Ryan had some emotional and well made battle scenes, especially the one where the guy gets stabbed. Probably some others I can't think right now.

T

tj

KontrollerX said:
Its a six way tie for me between the battle of stirling in Braveheart, to the opening battle of Gladiator to the opening battle at Thermopolaye in 300 ie "No Prisoners! No Mercy!!" battle, to the battle of the Hornburg in LOTR's Two Towers to finally the ending battle in The Patriot where Mel Gibson finally pwns that British bastard that killed his son and burned down a village with his friends and Heath Ledger's wife in the movie, also the scene where he had his young sons help him kill British regulars (the famous "aim small, miss small" scene) so they all could free Heath Ledger was quite good. :up:

Yep, I agree. Gladiator was the best imo.

DavenJuan

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
house of flying daggers last battle scene between the two lovers and the girl

matrix reloaded: neo fighting 1000 mr smiths in the park

Rollo Tomassi

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The opening battle in Gladiator was pretty good from a realism sense. The problem I have with movies like LotR, Star Wars & 300 is that they're all reliant on the CG guys following how they "think" a battle should flow based on cinematic themes rather than historical accuracy. Don't get me wrong I loved all of them, but from a 'battle' perspective, the Roman Legions vs. the Germanic tribes was excellent in Gladiator.

Also, consider the battle scenes in Glory or Gettysburg. These guys did their homework. There was also a great movie called The Lost Battalion based on a true story from WWI that starred Ricky Schroder of all people. Rent it if you can find it. Very accurate, very realistic.

Tyron

Don Juan
Reaction score
Rollo Tomassi said:
The opening battle in Gladiator was pretty good from a realism sense. The problem I have with movies like LotR, Star Wars & 300 is that they're all reliant on the CG guys following how they "think" a battle should flow based on cinematic themes rather than historical accuracy. Don't get me wrong I loved all of them, but from a 'battle' perspective, the Roman Legions vs. the Germanic tribes was excellent in Gladiator.
Gladiator fighting scene wasn't exactly accured either. For entertainment purposes for sure. Start of the battle is pretty historical but after the charge they break formation. Also they use their pilums as stabbing spears but they were throwing weapons. Also they didnt throw them as was the custom.

And how can there be historical accuracy in battles like Lotr, star wars etc.