Faintness during certain lifts

6-heads lewis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I've always been getting dizzy doing a few exercises, you know the feeling, seeing 'spots', losing coordination, unable to focus...

After nearly a year I finally googled it, and surprisingly, no results came up. I assumed this was common.

Today when I completed a power clean, I nearly blacked out. Extreme dizziness, complete silence (that was creepy), unable to see clearly, jello limbs, etc. I lowered the bar down carefully and honestly needed a few seconds to gather myself and walk to a bench without falling. It seems like I cant do more than 1 rep at a time, though my muscles arent fatigued.

I often get a similar faint feeling as I unrack a heavy bench press or military press, or after a complete DB snatch. What's odd to me is that this barely improves over time, I had the same problems as a beginner as I do now.

Is this common, or have my years as a human punching bag finally caught up?

Don Waldo

Don Juan
Reaction score
You drinking enough water? Like a gallon a day?

Create Reality

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I get faintness too sometimes doing a set of pullups. What I usually do to counter it is relax for a minute before I start the set, and just focus on my breathing, making it easy and controlled. Then I start the set and make sure to breathe in on contractions and out on releases. After Im done I relax and control my breathing again.

The complete silence thing I think is a result of blood pressure. Your blood pressure is through the roof when you lift. I think some NO supplements could help us both out.

Anyway talk to a doctor if you think there's an unnatural reason for it.

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I had the exact same problem. I even passed out once while doing power cleans. It was because my cardio sucked. Do more cardio.

Some of you guys look big in the mirror and can lift a heavy weight a few times, but you're going to drop dead of a heart attack by the time you're 30. Most people on this board place far too much emphasis on strength training.

6-heads lewis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Whew.

I drink a lot of water, over a gallon, and stay hydrated during workouts.

Thats wierd for pullups, I would expect faintness during fast lifts or extremely heavy lifts, unless your doing heavy weighted pullups. Blood pressure eh? never thought of that, thanks.

Yes Kerpal, my cardio is awful. I haven't done any cardio in nearly a year (save for walking around campus) and put on a lot of weight, which is a bad mix. I probably would have a heart attack if I tried to go a full round at this point. Adding size is addicting though, its hard to explain, you never feel like you reached your ideal.

You blacked out? I hope you didnt get hurt man, and the barbell just fell straight down. Thats of a terrifying thought, imagine blacking out while benching 400lbs!

Solarium

Don Juan
Reaction score
Kerpal said:
I had the exact same problem. I even passed out once while doing power cleans. It was because my cardio sucked. Do more cardio.

Some of you guys look big in the mirror and can lift a heavy weight a few times, but you're going to drop dead of a heart attack by the time you're 30. Most people on this board place far too much emphasis on strength training.
Exactly what he says. Most people are bulking up without any consideration for their healths. Cardio, ESPECIALLY running (over 9.0 MPH) really, really speeds up your breathing and heart rate, which in effect will make you stronger... internally.

I have those spells sometimes too, when I used to not run and would suddenly get up from sitting in a chair too long playing those stupid computer games.

Start jogging for 20 minutes averaging 5.5 MPH, and work your way up. Many people I know don't even use threadmills anymore because they run faster than 10.0 MPH.

Throttle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
how far into your workouts is this happening? when was your last meal/nutrition? are you taking any nutrition during your workouts?

also, pay attention to your breathing. exaggerate it for a while. holding your breath on the concentric portion is tempting as you go up in poundage, but you need a complete breath for each rep. typical advice is to exhale during the concentric phase, and inhale on the eccentric phase, though some powerlifters hold their breath during the concentric phase and breathe between reps. failing to breathe properly raises b.p. and builds up pressure in all the wrong places.

6-heads lewis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Throttle said:
how far into your workouts is this happening? when was your last meal/nutrition? are you taking any nutrition during your workouts?

also, pay attention to your breathing. exaggerate it for a while. holding your breath on the concentric portion is tempting as you go up in poundage, but you need a complete breath for each rep. typical advice is to exhale during the concentric phase, and inhale on the eccentric phase, though some powerlifters hold their breath during the concentric phase and breathe between reps. failing to breathe properly raises b.p. and builds up pressure in all the wrong places.
My workouts have been going about 1.5hrs lately, I do power cleans or snatches 3rd, which falls around the 50 minute mark. At the 1hr mark I take a nutrition break. I have a shake and some carbs about 30-45 minutes before working out.

I dont really paying attention to my breathing, I probably hold my breath for the entire lift, and dont focus on taking a big breath before hand. I think I breathe out (or grunt out at least) at the very top of the lift, then hold my breath as I lower it. The dizziness is worst at the top as soon as I've racked the barbell on my shoulders.

Ill keep that in mind, thanks a lot.

insidious

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Throttle said:

This is definitely something to consider.

Proper breathing technique doesn't seem to be a priority for lifting, but it's gotta be. And it's so easy to lose sight of when lifting. When you're running or walking, that's all you have to think about. When lifting you are physically distracted and sometimes you might even forget to breathe.

I've caught myself doing that. I concentrate so intently on the barbell, on the mechanics, on the WEIGHT, and I realize, ****, I need to take a breath!

blinkwatt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I used to get BAD migraines randomly every once and awhile,found out I wasn't drinking enough water.

Drum&Bass

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
sounds like a condition called VERTIGO, I use to get it when I was younger..I'm not sure what i did to get rid of it but once I felt myself passing out I would sit down as fast as possible so I didn't hit my head from a fall..unfortunately thats the best advice I can give.

Try a healthier diet, and learn to breathe properly (breathing affects blood pressure).

this is a stupid statement, why would a person drop dead at the age of 30 ??

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Drum&Bass said:
this is a stupid statement, why would a person drop dead at the age of 30 ??
A weak heart, from not doing any cardio.

Throttle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Kerpal said:
****, 15 months to live... i knew i shouldn't have spent all that time lifting weights. :cry:

45-60 minutes of walking at least 3x a week should keep your heart plenty healthy when coupled with a sensible diet. i get that much walking in by accident, on a lazy week. the heart-strengthening aspects of cardio are overblown. why do i say this? because heart attacks are not caused by weak hearts.

(http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/dci/Diseases/HeartAttack/HeartAttack_Causes.html)

cardio is no more or less effective at preventing heart attacks than other methods of reducing bodyfat. all other bull**** & mythology notwithstanding.

stronglifts

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Kerpal said:

Strength Training trains your heart. Try 3 heavy singles squat at 90% intensity, check your hearbeat.

Cardio trains endurance. Endurance <-> strength training.

Unless you do sprints (which is comparable to do several sets of powercleans), doing cardio will make your muscles slow.

Beginners can mix everything. If you're going after strength/speed/power, you must choose.

Drum&Bass

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
specific conditions, it would happen the most when I was sitting for awhile and then suddenly stood up...it doesn't happen anymore though.

similar to your power clean experience...your in a low position and then suddenly explode up.

I dont really paying attention to my breathing, I probably hold my breath for the entire lift
I do a lot of olympic lifting myself and I can't imagine holding my breath, you should be breathing in throughout the motion, maybe hold your beathe for a split second or longer after you make the catch and then breathe out

diablo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
6-heads lewis said:
I dont really paying attention to my breathing, I probably hold my breath for the entire lift
This right here is the problem. Most people new to weightlifting completely ignore the fact that they aren't breathing during periods of heavy exertion such as what you're describing. This puts a huge amount of internal pressure on your body. From now on, you can do one of two things:

Breathe OUT when you are exerting force (your power phase), and breathe IN during the relaxation phase.

or...

Spend about $300, hire a reputable personal trainer for a month, have him watch your workouts and give you advice on what you need to change up. If you aren't breathing, he'll definitely let you know.

If this doesn't solve your problem, I'll send you a grapefruit. Seriously.

LoneSilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
This definitely sounds like a breathing problem as you mention this has happen since you have been lifting if I am correct?

Hell doing power cleans and all the power moves gives us plenty of cardio I am sure at least after I am through doing Squats, Deadlifts and Clean and Press my heart is doing more than if I just ran or walked 5 miles.

If all fails the last resort is not a proper beating heart beat which caused these moments during exertion but from the sounds of it I would place it on your breathing like others have said.

Hope you get it corrected as I know I'd hate to have something like this while trying to workout bummer.

LoneSilver

6-heads lewis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I tried concentrating on breathing during snatches today, it was harder to focus on the lift, but I see the difference. When I felt dizziness coming on at the top I took a good breath before lowering, it felt easier. It will take time to get used to, but the alternative is a horrible injury.

And I like grapefruit, it's a shame this worked.

BluEyes

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Another thing with the whole breathing issue...You can seriously damage your eyes if you don't breathe while doing heavy lifts. The eyes are a weak point, pressure wise, in the body and are the first to give out if internal pressure is too great...

Breathe deep when working out.