Facial scarring enhances men’s attractiveness

Luthor Rex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Why so serious?

It is widely thought in Western societies that facial scarring has a negative impact on attractiveness. However, the specific effects of non-severe facial posttraumatic scarring on third party perceptions of attractiveness are currently unknown. Here we show that non-severe facial scarring can enhance perceptions of attractiveness in men but not in women. We report the results of asking 147 female and 76 male participants to rate the attractiveness of unscarred opposite-sex faces and faces that had been manipulated to exhibit photorealistic scarring, demonstrating that scarring enhances women’s ratings of male attractiveness for short-term, but not long-term, relationships. Men’s ratings of female attractiveness were unaffected by scarring. Though the reported effect is small, our results suggest that under certain circumstances scars may advertise valued information about their bearers, and that the idea that scarring universally devalues social perceptions can no longer be assumed to be true.
http://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...serid=10&md5=6198566d961d2ec7b69a4222a8f86d47

http://www.personal.psu.edu/rpb13/site/pdfs/burriss_09_paid.pdf

Time to learn some fencing:

In the West, the now largely defunct practice of academic fencing, in which male adversaries fought with minimal head protection and sought to inflict and withstand wounds to the head and face, often resulted in injuries that were sutured crudely to provoke the development of a renommierschmiss, or bragging scar, which were worn like “medals” (Kiernan, 1988, p272). These medals evidenced bravery and were valued by women; in mid 19th century Germany, it was considered that “a face disfigured by scars was a passport to a good marriage”

Hughman

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Haha, that's brilliant! I wonder why all the Pacific Islanders and Native Tribes of Latin America do it so much :rolleyes:

But seriously, it's interesting to note that. Women love **** like that - I thought of wearing a black eye-patch over my really bad eye. (It's almost blind, I can make out colour and some vague suggestion of shape beyond 5 feet without a correcting lens)

Son of anarchy

Don Juan
Reaction score
Scars prove that you are used to fight or that you are a very bad driver.
In both the cases any girl will have fantasies about how her man got that scar and imagine what she want.

pjtheman

Don Juan
Reaction score
yes! at last getting 7 stitches in my chin was sorta worth it!

E

Energizer

Son of anarchy said:
Scars prove that you are used to fight or that you are a very bad driver.
In both the cases any girl will have fantasies about how her man got that scar and imagine what she want.
I'd have serious concerns about any woman who lays in her bad rubbing one out over the thought of me smashing my car into a tree.

Aenigma

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Energizer said:
I'd have serious concerns about any woman who lays in her bad rubbing one out over the thought of me smashing my car into a tree.
2 fast 2 furious for u?

STR8UP

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I remember on Loveline Adam Corrolla said something about how a scar on the face wouldn't hurt your chances for attracting women, and he's pretty clued up when it comes to broads.

This would make for an interesting experiment. Someone should get a realistic looking scar applied by an f/x artist and go out in public to see what kind of reaction he gets. I'm talking a NICE BIG ONE across the cheek, like he got slashed with a box cutter.

I have one on my forehead from when I ran into a tennis court pole in the third grade, but you can't really see it so I don't think that counts, hehe.

Hughman

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Remember when Nelly (the rap artist) cut himself shaving, so he put a plaster on it and it then became his signature look?

Rogue

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I think the crucial element would be the scarring couldn't be disfiguring, as science has conclusively proven assymetrical faces are unattractive. I have a scar on my forehead from a chainsaw accident and a scar on my right eyebrow from another accident, both are visible but I doubt anyone notices.

FairShake

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
This is true.

I have a couple facial scars from Philly "Gym Wars" where I was known as a "good-chin-no-head-movement" guy. Plus there are two scars on my back from where I was stabbed.

Now, I don't show them off and don't talk about them unless asked. I've found the better women don't bring up until later but even they are a little intrigued.

ketostix

Banned
Reaction score
Behold I give you the new peacocked look: Blacked out teeth, an eye patch and a scar across the face. Go forth assured of pvssy abundance. :D.