Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Explicitly threatening to leave / look for a new job

BeTheChange

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
What are people's thoughts on this.

For example in the event of not getting a raise or promotion that was either promised or implied as part of taking on the role.

Would you recommend doing this tacitly or being upfront and saying "X was expected upon me taking the role and as this does not look likely I may have to seek to develop my career elsewhere".

Tamura

Don Juan
Reaction score
It depends on the situation and your company's culture and it also depends on how you say it. Blackmail or defiance won't work. To honestly reveal your disappointment about a broken promise as a matter of fact is pretty straight forward, but should be preceeded by evaluating the market (or even better have some offers already in your backhand). Otherwise you are coward who gambles with his economic basis.

The difference between words and deeds, you know.

BeExcellent

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The question is how bad do you need this particular income source and how bad does your income source need you?

Whose need is greater?

If your need for the income is greater than their need for your individual services, then you have no leverage power. If you mention it at all you just let them know you are butt hurt (which puts you on the radar in a negative way.) Both these points would portray you as weak in the eyes of your superiors. Keep your mouth shut (and quietly explore other opportunities.)

If you were promised something (or this carrot was dangled in front of you) and you didn't get a promotion there is always a reason.

More often than not it is something personal & idiotic that an employer can't legally fire you over (jealousy, petty opinion differences etc.)

The workplace is an extremely political and passively hostile place in many instances. Their failure to promote you signifies a failure to value you for whatever reason.

It is always a subtle sign that your opportunities lie elsewhere.

guru1000

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Threats are overt declarations of helplessness. Instead make your expectation known, but before you do, be ready to branch swing.

Heed: When an employee requests a salary increase and I am not willing, I start the interviewing process as I know its imminent that he/she will be leaving soon. Accordingly, before you overtly delineate your expectation, ensure you have another employment in the horizon. This, also, will further empower your negotiation/request.

I have no experience as an employee, but as an employer I would recommend accompanied by your request, that you delineate ways in which you will augment company revenue thus rendering your request meritorious and paling in comparison.

parkthebus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Wait till you have a job offer you are willing to take and the begin the negotiations.

Huffman

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Is it your boss who personally denied the request, or is it some nameless "company policy" for some reason? Getting a raise is, in part, about having a good relationship with your boss, so he will fight the finance department in your favor. If he's on your side then you can walk the fine line between threatening and cooperating.

Example:
Beginning of this year I told my boss that I'm kinda on the lookout for new opportunities, so if I find something really great I'm probably going to leave within the year. I mean, there are hard facts, this works if you know and he knows that your market value is high enough. If not then he's going to laugh at you and honestly, you shouldn't be getting a raise.

That was a friendly conversation, and he has enough time to find a replacement. Now thing is I didn't really find exactly what I was looking for so far so I told him I'm willing to stay for at least another year if I get 10%. There is of course tangible reason for a raise, my product is doing well etc. but the finance department was blocking raises. Anyway he ended up escalating the raise to some higher ups, saying our product line is threatened, and they signed it off.

Bottom line, obviously I was threatening to leave but the vibe about it was alot more positive.