Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

ex dating your friend: double standards (sanity check)

rbd

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Guys, sometimes the double standards that women can have totally piss me off, even when I know that it’s totally pointless to let it anger me.

I have a BPD ex. We broke up for good a bit over a month ago from a 2 year relationship (I’ve written on this once in the past). Since that time I’ve met other girls, had a few in my bed, and am currently seeing another woman (that is a hell of a lot nicer and saner than my ex). The thing is though, whoever said that the best way to get over oneitis is to find a hotter chick is right – my ex is a bit more physically attractive, plus with the whole hoovering BPD bit, means that I’m not fully over her, ESPECIALLY if I am physically around her and start thinking with the penis.

Sooo, a few days ago I learn that she’s had one of my best buddies (of 10+ years) over at her house numerous times, and is actively trying to game him (she’s always “had a thing” for him). I had suspicions before, but now it's straight from the horse's mouth: he told me when I asked him, at least he is being honest in that regard. He’s moving cautiously about it, but is still receptive to her advances, as she’s quite attractive and can be very persuasive. I truly believe that they have not had sex yet (as if it matters). I had gone over a month with no contact with her and was doing well, but this just gets my goat, and I let it (mistake #1), and she knows it.

It pissed me off that she is doing this and has the gall to ask me if we can be friends and that she’d like to hang out with one of my female friends that she likes. She also says that she and my buddy have a lot in common. So I head over there to get my stuff (mistake #2) and lo and behold, his car is outside her house! I walk in, uncomposed (mistake #3), and have a little chat with them (he was sitting on the couch, she on another one). She says I have no right to determine who she and my buddy see, and he agrees. I say fine, but then say likewise, that I have my own personal space and I have control over who I allow in my life and who I don’t, and that I don’t want her in my life whatsoever (which pisses her off a good amount). We talk for awhile. My buddy keeps his composure well, she does not, freaks up and goes upstairs, and I apologize for tracking mud into the house, and talk to him a bit about things, letting him know that he can pursue this if he likes, but that she IS crazy, and it is a bit messed up this soon after a breakup to such a longtime friend. Huffing and puffing, she asks me to leave, and I leave.

Mistake #4, out of anger I text him that she has herpes (looking out for my “bro”) about an hour later. This causes him to apparently leave (I think he figured this was just way too much going on). I get text messages from her and her friend saying that I have no right do that (she was right, I give her that). I block her number and here we are.

What makes this especially difficult is that I also have a business arrangement with the company this guy works for and helped me get, which personally brings me 2K per month. If that wasn't the case, I think my action would be pretty clear cut: I'd cut them both out of my life (her forever, and him at least for awhile). It's much harder to do this though because of the financial situation.

Beyond that, the double standards of this situation are hilarious, as she and her female friend think there is absolutely nothing wrong with this -- and wouldn't care even if there was. Too bad she doesn’t have any attractive female friends, or I’d bone them and see how she felt. I think my main problem is that I just want her TOTALLY out of my orbit. When we talked alone before this I told her I thought it was pathetic that she could not find a guy who I didn’t know to date, given how attractive she is. She said she likes my friend and doesn’t like any of the other guys hitting on her. I don’t like how I feel when I’m around her, or when I think about her. I do not like holding on to this anger, and I do not like what this anger turns me into. I am not that person, and one of the main reasons I left the relationship was that I was becoming someone that I was not. I also don't like now that I appear weak to her, and still attached.

So my question is here, am I totally off? I would think with attractive BPD chicks this is a pretty common occurrence. I do fine when I can forget about her and move on, but something about hanging out with the guy that is being sucked in by my ex and who is going over to her house a month after we break up bugs me. Whatever his intentions may be – he is not stupid, and knows at some level things WILL happen between them. A number of my other friends say he is doing me a favor, and I somewhat agree with this. I just dislike the entire situation.

rbd

Warrior74

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
How to move on? Drop everyone involved. Him and her. Leave them behind. They are trying to drag you back into a burning building, shake loose and run like hell, don't look back less you end up like Lot. Fvck the money. This is your life. And be honest with your boy, tell him that it's fvcking with your head but you still want to do business and that you would rather not hear anything about the two of them. After that, keep it business only. Just be real.

ZenoB

Don Juan
Reaction score
^^ this. Your situation is hauntingly similar to the one I have been dealing with for over a yr. Her behavior is simply mindf*cking, isn't it? Reading your post, I think you've handled the situation extremely well given the blatantly disrespectful circumstances. It's only been a month, but please don't give that crazy ***** any more information! She's poisoned you. Go NC and let the toxins process.

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
it's not double standard. it's character. you have it, they don't, ax both of them. that was the crux de grace between me and my friends, trying to go through my garbage behind my back.

and see, this is the thing with me.. i'm not at all surprised by what she did. that's what women. do. they hit where it hurts to get back

but your "friend".. friends are supposed to be better than that. that is where your real anger should be at, not her. a woman is going to be a woman. But friends are supposed to have standards. any guy here can leave their woman at my house and she would be just as safe as she was my little sister. that's character, you don't **** over friends even when you have the opportunity to. I remember one night we were playing spades when i was like 21, everyone left, one of my guys girls came back over my house (i had tried to talk to her in the mall before and found out she was dating my best friend lol, but she told me i was cute), and i told her se needed to leave. to this day my old friend doesn't know about it. that's what friends do.

both of them are doing you a favor, showing you they are pissy people. cut.all.of.them.off.for.good. no contact that nigga.
this dude is saying hey man, i have no character brah. look how ****ing desperate he is digging through your trash and justifying it.

jophil28

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Warrior74 said:
How to move on? Drop everyone involved. Him and her. Leave them behind. They are trying to drag you back into a burning building, shake loose and run like hell, don't look back less you end up like Lot. Fvck the money. This is your life. And be honest with your boy, tell him that it's fvcking with your head but you still want to do business and that you would rather not hear anything about the two of them. After that, keep it business only. Just be real.
Yep, good advice. ^^

This situation is a good example of the impossibility of salvage. Rather than try to pick over the wreckage to retrieve those parts that you still want (his $ business), just dump the whole mess in the trash.

Jeffst1980

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I agree.

Your friend is worthless if he actually sided with her over you. It sucks to have to get rid of longtime friends like that, and perhaps you can reconnect later on down the road, but this whole situation demands a firm response of you. Don't listen to anyone that tells you that you are being unreasonable; life is too short to worry about what other people think. Don't try to play it off like you aren't bothered by it, either--be honest with everyone involved, then chart your own course if you have to. You deserve better than this nonsense.

Slickster

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
rbd said:
I have a BPD ex. We broke up for good a bit over a month ago from a 2 year relationship (I’ve written on this once in the past). Since that time I’ve met other girls, had a few in my bed, and am currently seeing another woman (that is a hell of a lot nicer and saner than my ex).
Interesting post but ^^^^ this is all I needed to read.

You got out of a relationship with a crazy chick. Dodged a great big bullet. Why would you allow yourself to get drawn backwards?

Don't be a masochist.

Focus on yourself and your new relationship. Like you said she's way nicer and more sane. Are your ex's attractive features worth all this bullshyt? Let me answer for you. NO.

Letting all this disrespectful behaviour get under your skin is enabling for her. It just lets her have more power over you. Why, why, why, why, why, why, why?

I don't care how beautiful she is man. Why?

The best thing you can do is tell your buddy "Good luck, don't say I didn't warn you." THEN MOVE ON!!! Don't be angry with either of them. You've learned who your real friends are.

She'll show her a$$ soon enough and he'll be wishing he listened to you.

runner83

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Slickster said:
Interesting post but ^^^^ this is all I needed to read.

You got out of a relationship with a crazy chick. Dodged a great big bullet. Why would you allow yourself to get drawn backwards?

Don't be a masochist.

Focus on yourself and your new relationship. Like you said she's way nicer and more sane. Are your ex's attractive features worth all this bullshyt? Let me answer for you. NO.

Letting all this disrespectful behaviour get under your skin is enabling for her. It just lets her have more power over you. Why, why, why, why, why, why, why?

I don't care how beautiful she is man. Why?

The best thing you can do is tell your buddy "Good luck, don't say I didn't warn you." THEN MOVE ON!!! Don't be angry with either of them. You've learned who your real friends are.

She'll show her a$$ soon enough and he'll be wishing he listened to you.
^ ^ ^ This

Colossus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
There is an unwritten rule between men that friends dont hook up with their friend's ex. If she was just a fling, then it might be acceptable, but an LTR?? Never. If a "friend" crosses this line he is no friend of yours.

squirrels

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
A universe...where heartbreak and sadness have bee
Colossus said:
There is an unwritten rule between men that friends dont hook up with their friend's ex. If she was just a fling, then it might be acceptable, but an LTR?? Never. If a "friend" crosses this line he is no friend of yours.
As I recall, the official "Man Code" states that a man is required to ask permission before dating a buddy's 'ex' and that buddy is, in turn, required to grant permission.

OP, as a friend, you're obligated to warn him about what he's getting into. If he chooses to continue, beyond that, it's really none of your business. If she was really "BPD", then you shouldn't be jealous at ALL that he's seeing her...at most you should be concerned for HIS well-being if he's a friend.

I mean...if she was really "BPD" (and you weren't just calling her "BPD" because it's trendy on SoSuave to call any girl "BPD" that you aren't man enough to handle), then WHY would you be jealous, EVER, of any guy who bangs her?? Why would you CARE what she does as long as she does it far away from you??

Come on, man!!

rbd

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks guys for all the feedback.

squirrels: Why do I care? I think it's just more about feeling frustrated as sh1t that I was being pulled back into a situation that I had worked so hard to get out of. It's just like what horaholic said on the BPD thread:

"She was like a drug. When things were going good, it was like an intense, and amazing high, that nothing has ever compared to, before, or since. It was UNREAL. I felt the downside was worth it. The way we lusted after each other was almost superhuman. That alone, is something that is next to impossible to walk away from. Then...add the darkside, the splitting, blaming, cheating, lying, completely nonsensical rationalization, which then makes the good parts seem even better, which in turn makes the bad side seem to disappear. Then, one day, every horrible truth you turned a blind eye to for the whole relationship suddenly takes over your whole mind, and you live in a waking nightmare. Its as if you sold your soul to the devil for the ultimate dream girl, and now he comes to collect."
That's just what it was like, at least until it got up until the end, where I totally lost my trust for the woman, saw how absolutely no progress was being made with her issues, and saw how much I was sliding into something I didn't want to become. At that point I made a choice to get out and stay out, and did successfully stay away from her for that month. But when this situation came back up, to admit it I did feel very jealous, especially when it was clear that her interests had moved onto him. When she wasn't raging, she was an expert at making you feel like you were the top of her world, and that she did so much for you. When she would get all cruel, at some level I would crave that nice behavior back, at times making myself believe that I was to blame for her behavior. I was (and still am, to some extent) the rat in the Skinner cage, addicted to her graces. This is why I know I need to get away and stay away.

What made it hard to justify getting out of the relationship earlier was when she wasn't raging, she would say she was sorry for her misconduct and become real rational about it, saying how much progress she made and how she was changing her behaviors. Of course I believed this way too many times, and of course each time, nothing came from it. Then the raging would come back on, and her justification would be because of something I said or did, which brought up minor transgressions and stupid comments I said or did months and months previously that she never got over, even though I had apologized numerous times. And now she looks back at her behavior in the relationship and blames it on her sleeping pills. Hahaha!

So when this thing with my friend started to materialize, my rational brain could tell me how much he was doing me a favor, but there was some other side of me that felt this anger and jealously. Not only was he (what I thought) a real good friend, I used to live with him in college for years. Out of all the people, surely not him, right?

And what’s funny, is that he predicted she’d start playing a game and he’d be involved. That we’d break up she’d start trying to brainfvck me and bring one of my friends into it. So she chatted with him on facebook for the first time and he told me. I was irritated and I pushed it out of my memory and tried to move on. Just the thought of this chick staying in my orbit enraged me and made me feel powerless. The talking continued, and he started going over there, and at that point (a few days ago), something just tripped -- I realized that the behavior was truly consensual and they were really moving forward with this. And when I talked to him about it, nahh, she wasn’t crazy, she is just misunderstood and “in need of some friends”. Yep, she has her claws in him now.

In the end, you guys are definitely right. Although he is trying to move cautiously and slowly into this situation, the end result is that he knows exactly what he is doing and where this will lead. He is sorting through my trash and playing me the fool for it. So ultimately, yes, this is a totally hopeless and fvcked situation. That’s what I’ve realized these last few days since I’ve posted this thread. He will move forward with it, things may be great for awhile (as they were for me), but in the end, he’ll end up getting brainfvcked. Oh well, nothing I can do about that, past remove them both from my life for the disrespect and the negative energy. It just scares and pains me to think that this guy may one day disrespect me again and start bringing her around my friends when I’m there, thinking it’s no big deal. I’d have to reinforce my space and leave if that doesn’t work.

I am meeting with his boss here on Thursday with respect to the future of this contract I have with his company, and I’ll pull him aside and tell him good luck, and to keep me and my friends out of it. Then I’ll avoid him. BPD or not, this women is seriously messed up in the head. There is absolutely no good that could ever come out of any of this, and if he is desperate enough to be entwined by this harpy, so be it.

Thanks again to all of you for the comments and insight!! I’ll let you know how it goes on Thursday.

rbd

Demodulate

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I have had two "friends" date a few of my ex's

one friend asked me to date my ex, I said go for it, I wished nothing but the best for them. they eventually split up, but he is still a good friend.

The other "friend" started dating my ex behind my back, when i found out he went from being a great friend.. to nothing.. overnight. he has dated a few of my ex's now actually.. and then when a girl did it to him with a friend of his he got upset about it.. karma..

long story short, a real man would ask you before hand, a coward would skulk about behind your back..

Credos

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Doesn't 95% of the world population have herpes?

Friend of mine who's becoming a doctor told me that, textbook material apparently...

rbd

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Credos: yes that's true with HSV1 (oral herpes). I'm talking about the "other" kind (and still, 25-30% of sexually active teens and young adults have that one, so it is pretty common as well).

Regarding how it went on Thursday, I did end up talking to my friend. Told him to do whatever, but to just be warned, and that I was out of it. He told me that she had said she's been out of a relationship for 4 months (she lied), and he also caught her in a few other lies. He said he felt weird about the whole thing and could definitely see how I had felt when I pulled into her driveway with his car there. He also said that after all of that I didn't have to worry and that he definitely wasn't interested in dating her (anymore..I think he saw how crazy she is). I told him that that's fine, but if that ever did change, to just be straight forward with me about it and not bring her around me or my other friends.

I'm sure he knew on some level that we were still involved up until a week before she contacted him, but he seemed genuinely disturbed and regretful about the whole thing, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt this first time around. If he does anything else, I can conclude he's being totally disrespectful and conclusively cut him out of my life. For now, I still talk to him from time to time. She did call me twice yesterday on the phone I did not block her on, and so I blocked her on that one as well (didn't pick up, obviously).

Oh, and I kept the contract, no problem. They're even talking about expanding it once they get additional funding. I think this case is closed, for now. I'm definitely moving on. Thanks again guys.

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
when someone tells you who they are, believe them the first time.

what because she's freaking crazy doesn't mean he has low character? What kinda ass backwards logic is that? What if she had been a catch, a real one and he swooped her up. You are going to rekindle your friendship with him, becuase shes' so ****ed up no one wants to date her is what you are basically saying. He is apologizing because shes' not datable, not becuase he did anything wrong and wants the friendship back. But he showed you his true colors when he went behind your bakc in the first place. What the hell do you think he is going to do next time you bring a real dime home? come on son get with the program.

alot of our problems are of our own makings. This cat is showing you he is a grade 1 turd and you are going to let him back in your life, simply becuase she is so crazy he can't put up with her.

rbd

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
backbreaker you do have a strong point there. And that's what was getting me about the whole situation at some level with him as I thought about it after I posted that. It seemed to be more about her being fvcked up than about him moving in like that.

AND, as I think about it, he definitely did know that I was fresh out of being involved with her (I mean I talked to him about it on multiple occasions well after when she had said we broke up). He was definitely gaming for that, and that's definitely second class behavior on his part.

So then it begins. Don't really think I'll be hanging out with his ass any more. Good to know you can depend on longtime 'friends' like this.

So the final question is then: should I confront him about it and be up front, or just stop having contact with him. If I did talk to him about it, I'd just say that I thought his behavior with this whole thing wasn't cool at all, and that I don't want to be involved with folks that act like that.

I want to keep the business thing going on, but he isn't the decision maker here, and I'm fine just having contact with him in that context. The good news is that I should have a strong 1 year contract going on there at least, shortly.