Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Engineer / Marketing

rimman

Don Juan
Reaction score
Hi

Been thinking about a career change lately. Atm I'm working as a mechanical engineer. Boring people in the business though. People with zero game.

How would one go about to change to marketing? My experience is without an education its impossible, even though i have a feeling that game and marketing goes together.

Should I try to get an internship at some firm or just skip the idea.
Would a career change in any way improve my game, or are people in marketing/advertising just as nerdy

MCristo

Don Juan
Reaction score
Don't switch to marketing because you think it fits "the game" better. Who cares if everyone else in your major is a nerd; what matters is whether or not you are happy with what you've chosen.

To do good in marketing you'd have to go back to school most likely. In my opinion though, a degree in marketing is useless compared to one in mechanical engineering. People often use marketing and management majors as cop outs for not knowing what they want to do with their life.

I'm most likely headed to college for Aerospace Engineering and I couldn't give two ****s if the average person in that major is a geek. Truth is, as long as you follow what you enjoy, any major will compliment your "game".

rimman

Don Juan
Reaction score
I want the most bang for the buck so to speek.

Of course would never use a job to "improve" or complement my game.

But I am however wondering if marketing is serious or not. If my game would instantly get me above the majority in the business.

Latinoman

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
rimman said:
Hi

Been thinking about a career change lately. Atm I'm working as a mechanical engineer. Boring people in the business though. People with zero game.

How would one go about to change to marketing? My experience is without an education its impossible, even though i have a feeling that game and marketing goes together.

Would a career change in any way improve my game, or are people in marketing/advertising just as nerdy
Putting your "game" ahead of your career is STUPID and an clear AFC move.

Work on your career. I had an education in mechanical engineering. I started as such. I enhanced my career in such a fashion that I am in a desireable field (in fact, I am a subject matter expert in my field).

My game was always great...because I separated my game from my career. My career came first. That on itself makes you valuable...especially when you become more mature.

Besides, going to work with the purpose of "gaming" at work is very amateurish.

By the way...as an engineer...you can switch to ANYTHING. In fact...and engineer can become ANYTHING he wants (including a medical doctor). But not the other way around. Very few people can take and pass engineering courses.

Latinoman

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
MCristo said:
Don't switch to marketing because you think it fits "the game" better. Who cares if everyone else in your major is a nerd; what matters is whether or not you are happy with what you've chosen.

To do good in marketing you'd have to go back to school most likely. In my opinion though, a degree in marketing is useless compared to one in mechanical engineering. People often use marketing and management majors as cop outs for not knowing what they want to do with their life.

I'm most likely headed to college for Aerospace Engineering and I couldn't give two ****s if the average person in that major is a geek. Truth is, as long as you follow what you enjoy, any major will compliment your "game".
Aerospace engineering? Let's talk about WASTING your time and narrowing your opportunities.

If you want to work the aerospace field...you might as well go for mechanical engineering. You can do aerospace...energy...machine design...etc. If things don't go well in the "dying" aerospace industry...at least you have other options.

By the way...you can get your studies as a mechanical engineer and work as an aerospace engineer.

Mechanical as degree...aeronautical as career.

Latinoman

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Listen...if you want to advance your career with the hope to make more $$$ or reach upper management level...and if you feel the marketing field would get you there....

Then you can consider doing this.

1- You can probably join your marketing team as a "technical expert" and slowly merge (with time and experience) into the marketing field.

or

2- You can get an MBA and use that MBA to join your marketing team.

There other possibilities.

I don't do engineering anymore as I am Senior in what I do. Some sort of consultant.

MCristo

Don Juan
Reaction score
Latinoman said:
Aerospace engineering? Let's talk about WASTING your time and narrowing your opportunities.

If you want to work the aerospace field...you might as well go for mechanical engineering. You can do aerospace...energy...machine design...etc. If things don't go well in the "dying" aerospace industry...at least you have other options.

By the way...you can get your studies as a mechanical engineer and work as an aerospace engineer.

Mechanical as degree...aeronautical as career.
Actually I was debating between the two. Honestly I don't know a lot about the career outlook for aerospace engineering. I was planning on doing engineering then joining the marines through an aviation slot in PLC. Aerospace just seemed to fit that the best.

Thanks for the advice though.

thehexman

Don Juan
Reaction score
One thing I can promise you is that you will need technical knowledge of the products you are marketing to your customers, and not just the business/marketing side of the products.

This is why I started a mech. eng. degree, because I realized that eng. gives you the competence to indluge in almost any scientific field, including business and economics (which, in graduate studies, rely on mathematical concepts such as differential equations and statistics, something you will already be very familiar with as an engineer). As Latinoman said, you can even use your degree to become a medical doctor.

I just happen to have a friend studying to be a physician. I can tell him why, when and how a bone will break just by studying the material bone is consists of and the applied forces (they break just like a drive shaft would). Heat diffusion and thermodynamics are useful as well. One thing you will probably not do as a mech. eng. is biochemistry however.

This is why you might want to go into eng. first, because you need to know all about how a product is made and why it is made in that fashion. Please keep in mind that you might not want to be with the Marines after 10 years of service, and then you will have the competence in methods to switch careers.

ready123

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
rimman said:
Hi

you're right in that game and marketing go together, a lot of game concepts like scarcity, reciprocation and social proof were taken from sales techniques used to influence people into buying sht

still, being a nerd has little to do with getting a girl. you'll find guys with no game in every profession. you'll find doctors who deal with people every day but still go home lonely, or are married to wives who cheat on them behind their back. pick your career based on what you have a passion for, independent of women. you're gonna spend at least 8 hours almost every day doing whatever it is you picked - if it's not for you, you're gonna be one unhappy muthafcka

piece of advice, if you're serious about BOTH engineering and marketing, become a sales engineer. these are guys companies hire who have an engineering background and sales skills. because of their technical background, they can communicate knowledge that regular sales people can't, and become an asset. and since they're sales, they have the potential to make a ton more money than regular engineers

PrinceBeavis

Banned
Reaction score
I can SO see the point that Rimman is making. I worked in Engineering departments for so many years (Manufacturing Engineering Technician). It's not really much of a social job at all. You've got your nose to the grindstone at all times. You're buried in projects, which, while they are challenging and fulfilling, are dry and oh so very boring to others, especially females.

You can't exactly go to a bar and impress women with stories about how you made a QA standard, or how you increased productivity and uniformity, or how you got that new robot working. The people you work with are pretty much in the same boat. The thing is, the people I've seen who are good at being social, suck @$$ at being engineers. You really do have to go to that 'mental-nerd-space' to be any good.

It just tends to make you kind of dull, say, compared to a sales person, who's social skills need to be sharp for success...the same kind of skills that one needs to have sharpened in order to succeed with women.

I suppose the two can coexist, but it takes extra effort to get out of that engineering mindset...not always easy.

Effington

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I think your original post is worded so it sounds like you want to change your career to meet more sociable people at work. If that's the case, that's horrendous rationale. In terms of the best buck, engineering is pretty high on the list. A bachelor's in engineering and an MBA / Finance degree is a great resume for quick movement up the ladder. Marketing is very hit or miss. For example, sales managers for insurance companies make hella big bucks, but a marketing research associate makes a pretty weak salary. There are also ethical issues involved with insurance companies, though.

You're right about one thing: with both women and work, it's about selling yourself. The approach for the two are completely different, but the concept is the same. As long as they think you're an amazing guy / a great employee, you are. Perception is reality.

If you're truly serious about a career change, I would recommend going to monster.com and doing a search on the type of jobs you are looking for. Look at the job requirements; can you do them? Do you have the experience they're looking for? If not, why should they hire you? This is what should be on your cover letter.

TurboLover

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Its not your field, its your job.

I am a mechanical engineer. My first job out of college was awesome. I was designing motorcycles and loving it. But left for more money elsewhere, can't pass up a 5 figure raise when doing well to start out with. Now, I have a job where I spend 25% of my time in the office and the rest of the time out in the field. Its great because being stuck in an office all the time can get boring.

There is probably some examples where marketing jobs maybe boring also.

I would consider other opportunities in your field, which is a huge one considering how general mechanical engineering is.

Ingeniarius

Don Juan
Reaction score
TurboLover said:
Its not your field, its your job.

I would consider other opportunities in your field, which is a huge one considering how general mechanical engineering is.

That might be it as well. Why did you become a mechanical engineer in the first place? What was your motivation?

TurboLover

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Ingeniarius said:
That might be it as well. Why did you become a mechanical engineer in the first place? What was your motivation?
Growing up I always want to work with cars. I wanted to be the guy who designed the parts, not put them on for a living.

My senior project was to design a intake manifold for a turbo landspeed motorcycle. That turned me onto motorcycles.

There are some things in the field of mechanical engineer that has no appeal to me whatsoever.

Like designing HVAC systems. :yawn:

rimman

Don Juan
Reaction score
PrinceBeavis said:
I can SO see the point that Rimman is making. I worked in Engineering departments for so many years (Manufacturing Engineering Technician). It's not really much of a social job at all. You've got your nose to the grindstone at all times. You're buried in projects, which, while they are challenging and fulfilling, are dry and oh so very boring to others, especially females.

You can't exactly go to a bar and impress women with stories about how you made a QA standard, or how you increased productivity and uniformity, or how you got that new robot working. The people you work with are pretty much in the same boat. The thing is, the people I've seen who are good at being social, suck @$$ at being engineers. You really do have to go to that 'mental-nerd-space' to be any good.

It just tends to make you kind of dull, say, compared to a sales person, who's social skills need to be sharp for success...the same kind of skills that one needs to have sharpened in order to succeed with women.

I suppose the two can coexist, but it takes extra effort to get out of that engineering mindset...not always easy.
Like the socially retarded people at my work. However the more socially awkward they are, the better chance for me ;)

Seriously
great posts ppl.
Makes me start to think. But I guess that the main problem is that my present work isn't improving me.

That was the essence in my original post, i want constant improvement. To learn new things which can be applied in my personal life also.
I guess a god start would be to advance in the company and while having a secured position read an MBA or equal? (Live in Europe so not to familiar with US educational system :)

I'm the newest employee, but Ive already befriended some of the higher people in the company, just because the others have no social skills whatsoever.

taiyuu_otoko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
By far the best advice in this thread, IMO, at least the first half. Just go for the MBA, and then go from there. with an engineering degree and an MBA with top notch social skills, you can write your own ticket.

You could even use said skills to start your own company. Screw working for anybody else! :up:

Latinoman

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
MCristo said:
Actually I was debating between the two. Honestly I don't know a lot about the career outlook for aerospace engineering. I was planning on doing engineering then joining the marines through an aviation slot in PLC. Aerospace just seemed to fit that the best.

Thanks for the advice though.
Electrical engineering or mechanical engineering are both good for that too.

Why don't trying getting into either the Naval or Air Force Academy? Or at worst...get them to either pay you a scholarship (via ROTC, etc.) and then after you finish your degree join them?

Note: USMC is under the Navy.

Latinoman

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
PrinceBeavis said:

You should separate work from social life. Using your career as a way to "impress women" is VERY AFC and weak.

Work...get a hobby (to decompress)...and go social (heck, get dancing classes to up your social skills too).

Latinoman

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
taiyuu_otoko said:
By far the best advice in this thread, IMO, at least the first half. Just go for the MBA, and then go from there. with an engineering degree and an MBA with top notch social skills, you can write your own ticket.

You could even use said skills to start your own company. Screw working for anybody else! :up:
Thanks.

AgonyUncle

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Marketing people have game? BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. My word. I cant believe this game nonsense has reached this level. Marketing people are normally lazy idiots. A large percentage have substance abuse problems. Trust me, they dont work half as hard as they like to make it out.

The best game in the world is money. The current economic climate and skills shortage means that an engineer will never go hungry. If you feel you have the ability to deal with people, why not start your own firm?

Im in marketing and would KILL to be able to do what you guys do. My whole family are qualified engineers of some sort in one discipline or another. Wish I spent more time on math at school and less time playing rugby and followed the path they all wanted me to. Might actually have a valuable skill other then the wishy washy profession we like to call marketing. Its impossible to measure, yet easy to justify. Its th reason why we are so lazy

Dont get me wrong, it has its plus points. But it really is a proffession I find very difficult to respect. If you are smart enough to get an engineering degree, you are smart enough to know you are onto a good thing already.

Change your perspective, not your career. And please, stop with this game nonsense. You are not in high school.