Electric bill is really high

MikeYikes122

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
For some reason my electric bill this month is about 50 dollars higher than it normally is. My bills are normally about 80 dollars a month, but for some reason I was close to 130 dollars this month :eek:.

Anyone have any idea what could have accounted for that discrepancy? Did the price of electricity go up or something, or do you think something is wrong with my furnace? (I live in the Midwest and it is cold as sh!t here) I also recently got a hi-def TV. Could that be burning a lot of electricity?

Rhoto

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Do you guys have a base-line usage system? or Per kWh?

In California, we are getting ripped off really bad (on both ends), and we claim to want to combat global warming. Meanwhile in Nevada and Idaho we're building coal power plants.

Most homes use gas to heat, but check with your Utility as to why they're jacking rates.

iqqi

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
MikeYikes122 said:
For some reason my electric bill this month is about 50 dollars higher than it normally is. My bills are normally about 80 dollars a month, but for some reason I was close to 130 dollars this month :eek:.

Anyone have any idea what could have accounted for that discrepancy? Did the price of electricity go up or something, or do you think something is wrong with my furnace? (I live in the Midwest and it is cold as sh!t here) I also recently got a hi-def TV. Could that be burning a lot of electricity?
I heard hi-def TV's DO raise your bill but $50 seems extensive. If you are using a space heater, that could be it too.

penkitten

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
i think its all the electric heating your house dude because my bill is always high in the winter time too.
it goes back down the rest of the year.

Colossus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I have electric heat in my apt and the electric bill in the winter is outrageous. Average winter electric cost for my 1 bedroom place is about $5-7 per day!!

Yeah. I live in the frigid north so the heat has to be running all the time. Electric heat is a killer.

MikeYikes122

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I think you guys are right. It's this damn cold that has hit the Midwest this winter. This is the coldest I can ever remember it being, and I've lived in the Midwest for 15 years.