Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Effectiveness of Targeted Exercises

pressure0354

Don Juan
Reaction score
I keep hearing that you should only work on certain muscle groups each workout, about 3-4 times a week.

My routine I have been doing for a year or two has just been exercising all of my body each workout, doing about 2 or 3 exercises per group (arms/shoulders/chest/abs). My question is if you target say, arms, just once a week.. how does the muscle maintain itself over a week? I would think that just one day working out a muscle group would not maintain well.

So I guess my real question is, is it better to do more exercises with a muscle group just once a week, or less variation of exercises but hitting the group 3 times a week.

I am in pretty good shape with my routine and mostly happy with the results, but if there is a mroe effective way then I will be glad to experiment.:rockon:

EFFORT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Read A-Units post then look at this for a structure

Basic 3day split

Monday-Squat

Wed- Bench

Friday- Deadlift

Basic 2day split (most will probably do best on this)

Monday- Bench

Thurs- Alternate Squat and Deadlift each week.

Throw in accessory work as well

WC2

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The point in splitting your workouts is to maximize your intensity during workout and to give certain muscles time to rest. Check out different bodybuilding sites that give different splits. Sometimes it all depends on how your body responds. Some like a push/pull routine in which they work their chest/tris and back/bis on certain days.

I picked up a routine from a friend of mine that has seemed to work well for ME lately. This routine involves sending certain muscle groups to failure each day.

Monday - Chest
Tuesday - Shoulders/Squats
Wednesday - Bis/Tris
Thursday - Back/Legs (Quads/Hams)
Friday - Cardio

While this routine might not work for everyone, it has come apparent to me that I myself can more effectively send each muslcle group to failure if I work less of them each day.

pressure0354

Don Juan
Reaction score
okay, ill give it a try.

my concern was that while only working on a certain group only once a week, is it enough to sustain muscle until the next week when you exercise it again.

Wee

Don Juan
Reaction score
I did my chest on monday, and I don't think I'm gonna fully recover from it till tomarrow or friday. Maybe I have a low recovery time though. Concentrating on each group is good so you can get a maximum intensity workout for that part. On each day I do 4-7 excersizes, and do 4 sets (and a warmup set). Works me out good, haha.

hope7

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Don't do two pushing (chest, shoulders) one day after another

my workouts:

Sunday: legs
4 reps squats
4 reps stiff legged deadlifts
4 reps hip abductors (for inner tighs) or calves
4 reps leg curl

monday:chest/tricepts
4 reps bench press