Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Easy question about colonge

Five To One

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I just bought some colonge a couple weeks ago, drakkar noir and cool water. But the prices of colonge really surprised me, some were like 40 dollars for a small looking bottle.

For those guys who have gone through a bottle of cologne, how long does it last about? I think the cool water bottle was like 1.4 fl oz or something. Should I expect to buy some more in like a year or more like 5 years? I usually use just one spray and the level of liquid in it hasnt really gone down any.

Just trying to figure out if it would be a good idea to spend another 30 dollars on another one if it will last me a couple years.

*Posted this in MM because I figured most high school guys wouldnt know the answer

eyedea40

Don Juan
Reaction score
Five To One said:
I just bought some colonge a couple weeks ago, drakkar noir and cool water. But the prices of colonge really surprised me, some were like 40 dollars for a small looking bottle.

For those guys who have gone through a bottle of cologne, how long does it last about? I think the cool water bottle was like 1.4 fl oz or something. Should I expect to buy some more in like a year or more like 5 years? I usually use just one spray and the level of liquid in it hasnt really gone down any.

Just trying to figure out if it would be a good idea to spend another 30 dollars on another one if it will last me a couple years.

*Posted this in MM because I figured most high school guys wouldnt know the answer

Ok, here is how I see it dude, before we even get to the cologne, I use a killer body wash when I shower I think its AXE... but here is a breakdown for you the more expensive one will last longer hence you need less, you don't want to smell like a ***** all night either.. I like more expensive and use just enough for the night.

These terms refer to the strength of the fragrance, or more specifically, to how much high grade alcohol and/or water that has been added to the fragrance oils. Parfum (generally the most concentrated form you can buy) has 15-25% perfume oil dissolved in alcohol. Any mixture with a lower proportion of oil to alcohol is known as an Eau.
Eau Fraiche (Usually 3% or less perfume oil)
Eau de cologne - EDC (2 - 5% perfume oil)
Eau de toilette - EDT (4 - 10% perfume oil)
Eau de parfum - EDP (8 - 15% perfume oil)
Soie de Parfum (15 - 18% perfume oil)
PARFUM (15 - 25% -- also sometimes referred to as Extract or Extrait)
Perfume oil (15-30% perfume oil in an oil rather than alcohol base)
You may also see the term Parfum de Toilette. Most companies use this term to describe a concentration that is either the same as Eau De Parfum, or between Eau De Parfum and Parfum.
The 3 most common perfume fragrances you will purchase are:
PARFUM - This is one of the strongest perfume fragrance available. This means that you need to use less and the fragrance will last much longer depending on skin type. Will last 6 to 8 hours.
EAU DE PARFUM - EDP This is lighter than the Parfum and is less expensive, but still has long lasting fragrance smell. Will last from 3 to 5 hours.
EAU DE TOILETTE - EDT This is a lighter fragrance and is therefore most used for the casual everyday use. It is less expensive than Eau de Parfum. Will lasts for 2 to 4 hours.

Jeffst1980

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The two colognes you mentioned brought back a lot of high school memories...what made you pick such old school 90's fragrances??

Even a small bottle of cologne will last you longer than you will ever want to wear it. Its shelf life will expire before you can use an entire bottle, unless you're swimming in the stuff. One spray is ENOUGH.

I personally stopped wearing cologne around the time when I really started getting girls. I suppose it helps to make one stand out a bit, but it's not essential. Girls will ALWAYS prefer the scent of your [clean] skin...THAT'S what turns them on.

Don't spend any more money on cologne. Or, if you can, go return the two outdated and overused bottles you purchased and get a more expensive, sophisticated, and current bottle.

Scaramouche

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Dear Jeff,
Generally I would agree with you but if you are into Asian Ladies,particularly Chinese,they are fastidiously clean themselves and have such highly developed olfactories that they find Us Anglo Celts highly offensive...they are also very particular about their teeth....As an aside,years ago there was a very popular perfume called Eau De Gucci concentree,supplied in a tiny little bottle...they no longer make it ....could some Beau Brummel out there recommend a good substitute?....

Five To One

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks eyedea for the rundown on cologne. I had no clue what those words were on the bottle. I was kinda disappointed when I couldnt smell the colonge after the end of the night but now I see the kind I bought only lasts about 3 hours. If I need a longer lasting fragrence Ill know what to look for now. Rep

And Jeff, I bought those becasue I remembered seeing them on a list of good colognes when I was at the store. I dont think high school girls are going to think they are outdated, maybe if a 27 year old smelled cool water she would think "wow thats been around a long time" but high school girls havnt experienced much cologne, its all going to be new to them for the most part.
But thanks, I dont think im going to buy more cologne till im done with these. And when I do go shopping again Ill find something a little bit more sophisticated and less used.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The Drakkar is in a dark bottle for a reason; light degrades cologne. Keep the bottle stored in the box if it sits out. If you don't still have the box, keep it in a closed cabinet away from light. Don't leave a bottle of cologne in your car, either, the temperature extremes are not good for it.

To try out new colognes, simply swing by the cologne counter at your nearest department store like Macy's or Dillard's. They have a big tray of samplers sitting on the counter and want you to try them.

There is a cologne thread about a mile long with a thousand different recommendations. fwiw, I wear Armani Black Code, Ralph Lauren Romance, Issey Miyake Bleue, and Hugo Boss. The next cologne I buy will probably be one of the Burberry scents.

youknowtherest

Don Juan
Reaction score
I wear Vera Wang for Men. A bottle is about $120 but I've had one bottle for 2 years and it's still 80% full. I mist one pump in the air, aiming at the ceiling above my bathroom door, and then walk through the cloud as I'm leaving the bathroom. Leaves a very subtle scent.

Men over 30 should not wear AXE, much as they should not spike their hair, paint their faces in team colors at sports bars, nor drive cars with body kits.

Five To One

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks for all the extra information. Before I didnt really know a thing about cologne, now I have a pretty good grasp on it I think. How price reflects the quality and strength and to try to keep it out of the light and to be careful not to buy an overused fragrence and such.

Someone mentioned using axe body wash but I use an old spice body wash that works pretty good. You have to be pretty close to the skin to smell it but the smell is defenently there. My girlfriend always mentions it when she is kissing me

Latinoman

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I would not waste my money in "cologne". I buy "eau de toilette". That's the minimum I buy.

Cologne is cheap. Plain and simple. My eau de toilette (1.7 oz and $53.00) is not a bad.

My 14 year old son wears Axe. I don't. Level 2000 is my soap.

STR8UP

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
youknowtherest said:
Men over 30 should not wear AXE, much as they should not spike their hair, paint their faces in team colors at sports bars, nor drive cars with body kits.
Sounds like a defeatist attitude to me....

Colossus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Jeffst1980 said:
I personally stopped wearing cologne around the time when I really started getting girls. I suppose it helps to make one stand out a bit, but it's not essential. Girls will ALWAYS prefer the scent of your [clean] skin...THAT'S what turns them on.
I have to agree. I NEVER wear cologne, and I don't think it is necessary. I suppose if you get a designer fragrance it cant hurt, but don't over do it. ONE spray is enough.

Get a decent bodywash like Axe or Oldspice---these have a light scent and will keep you smelling clean and fresh.

Same with deodorant--a clean, masculine scent will work fine.

LoneRanger

Don Juan
Reaction score
There is a article somewhere on wikkipedia that talks about the shelf life of cologne.

I just searched and can't find it anywhere there, however.

It should be stored in its original box and in the fridge, not freezer. Most cologne is photo sensitive and keeping it in a dark cool place will prolong its shelf life.

The article says something that the lifespan of a bottle of Cologne is 1 year. Don't quote me on that, however.

If so, get our Cologne at a place where you know they sell a lot of it. That way you wont get something that has sat on a shelf for 5 months.

Here are some basic tips I just found. Wished I found this eariler! :cry: Useful stuff I didn't know.
http://www.wikihow.com/Apply-Cologne

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
fwiw you guys, I have never had cologne go bad. I have a bottle of Drakkar from 1997 that still smells fine, and a bottle of CK Be from 1999 that is still alright, too. Cologne might expire, but I have never had it happen.