Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Driving fast

Brian20o2

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Why do I have the extreme urge to drive fast and test the limits of cars? Why do I continue doing it when I know the consequenses could mean years of jailtime? Where/how can I legally drive as fast as I want thats reasonable? Are there any minor league racing things I could join do drive fast?

Sombody help me. I have an addiction to driving 30+ mph over the speed limit on freeways and 10+ around town. I can't find anything yet to fill/match the exhiliration of driving 100+ mph. Where can I do this without being ****ed for life?

adpreston1988

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Brian20o2 said:
Why do I have the extreme urge to drive fast and test the limits of cars? Why do I continue doing it when I know the consequenses could mean years of jailtime? Where/how can I legally drive as fast as I want thats reasonable? Are there any minor league racing things I could join do drive fast?

Sombody help me. I have an addiction to driving 30+ mph over the speed limit on freeways and 10+ around town. I can't find anything yet to fill/match the exhiliration of driving 100+ mph. Where can I do this without being ****ed for life?
video games. lol.

Brian20o2

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
adpreston1988 said:
video games. lol.
PSH!!! Been there done that. I have done nothing yet funner than going over 100 in my car. Its a rush I have yet to beat. I want to see If I can get my car all the way to the end of the speedometer this friday (130) So far I have hit 107 last thursday.

KillaCam

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Brian20o2 said:
PSH!!! Been there done that. I have done nothing yet funner than going over 100 in my car. Its a rush I have yet to beat. I want to see If I can get my car all the way to the end of the speedometer this friday (130) So far I have hit 107 last thursday.
You're a male. You like to push the limits.

Take it to the track dude, become a drag racer, or just enter some open-class circuit racing. Still the same adrenalin rush, except now you're trying to beat someone else as well.

Remember, when you speed, it's not just your life on the line. It's the mothers, the fathers, the old ladies, the kids..it's everyone else who's on the road at the same time. I know you don't want death on your conscience.

Brian20o2

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Replies in bold
KillaCam said:
You're a male. You like to push the limits.

lol Sorry Im afflicted with the disease known as 'Male'... Couldn't resist

Take it to the track dude, become a drag racer, or just enter some open-class circuit racing. Still the same adrenalin rush, except now you're trying to beat someone else as well.

Do you know what kind of requirements there are for this type of thing (Age, driving exp., etc.) and where could I find out?

Remember, when you speed, it's not just your life on the line. It's the mothers, the fathers, the old ladies, the kids..it's everyone else who's on the road at the same time. I know you don't want death on your conscience.

This is one thing that haunts me. I have horrible thoughts abour getting into crashes on the freeway etc. and thats why whenever I do push my limits I make sure its as safe as possible (Empty mile long straight stretch etc.)

KillaCam

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Brian20o2 said:
Replies in bold
Hah, yeah, the old male disease :(

I'm not too sure about requirements and such, i'm guessing you live in the United States?

Over here (New Zealand) you can start kart racing at just about any age, and usually things like open-wheeled racing (formula ford's etc) and class racing (just about any car, any race you can think of) can be jumped into at 16-18. It usually doesn't take much in terms of licenses and stuff to start, but details I wouldn't really know.

Have a look in your local phone book, head down to your local racing track, or just find anyone who might have a clue. I've been told that car racing is an adrenaline rush you just can't match, and it helps to be competitive :)

It's good to see you know what you're doing can be potentially fatal, and you're smart enough to do something before it happens. Plenty of respect for that.

Good luck buddy.

Brian20o2

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks KillaCam. Yeah I live in the US (Washington to be more precise) we have some weird driving laws here. I've had my liscense for about 5 months at 6 moths you are alowed to carry up to 3 passengers and when you turn 18 it turns into a full liscense with no strings attached. I'll be sure to check out some local stuff. lol Gotta veny the adrenalin/testosterone somewhere.

Ace of Flames

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Everywhere you want to be.... I'm like a Visa card
There's a highway in Europe, like in Germany or someplace, where you can drive as fast as you want. No speed limit. But I think you have to test for it and get special permission on your license before you can drive on it.

Why am I bringing this up, since you'll probably never get the chance to try it? Cuz I'm bored and it was relevant. Its 3 am, forgive me.

Brian20o2

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Ace of Flames said:
There's a highway in Europe, like in Germany or someplace, where you can drive as fast as you want. No speed limit. But I think you have to test for it and get special permission on your license before you can drive on it.

Why am I bringing this up, since you'll probably never get the chance to try it? Cuz I'm bored and it was relevant. Its 3 am, forgive me.
lol. The Autobahn is what your thinking of and it does have speed limits but some areas don't have them. But this is one of the places where you can drive as fast as you want. I think they tested the M1 Mcleren (sp?) on it. I would love to drive on it in a rented farrari or lambo someday...

youknowtherest

Don Juan
Reaction score
Take it to the track. Most tracks have "street legal" nights where you will find out that your car is actually not that fast, and that will crush your spirit and make you not want to drive fast anymore. Once you see an actual fast car, you will be hooked. Once you DRIVE an actual fast car, and drive it well -- like, a street-legal ride that comes in under 12 seconds in the 1/4 -- FOR REAL, i.e., not "I've got x hp and the car weighs y, therefore it's a z-second car" -- you're going to need a Wet Wipe and a cigarette.

I'm talking about learning how to actually drive in the 12's or under, which is another game entirely: learning how to read a tree, practicing your R/T, dialing-in your car's launch characteristics, managing your 60-foot time, power shifting, transbraking, learning what nitrous is really for, maxing out the torque curve through all the gears, TRULY tuning your engine to torque and hp through the rpm band (and learning the crucial difference between torque and hp) and not just bolting $#!+ on, etc., etc. You will never street race again: you'll realize that street racing is for punks, losers, and wannabes who have no idea what powerful cars are all about. Any idiot can drive 110 mph. It takes a particularly large set of balls -- and skills -- to drive 0-110 in ten seconds.

www.nhra.com should have a list of local tracks.

www.rasr.info -- Racers Against Street Racing, has some good info.

Timeslips don't lie.

Have fun.

sexy_kuta

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
buddy thank god i dont live near u...i wouldnt want u on the road..

dont even speed in the city.. u'll fuk up sooner or later, fact that one girl died a few months ago in my city because 3 cars were racing.. and they were only doing around 120 km in a 60 zone.. but the thing was she saw them from far away and made a turn.. her judgement was off because she didnt know they were doing that fast..

im not sayin u street race.. im just making a point that behind every action you make.. there will be outcomes.. and those outcomes may come with consequences...
please dont put other lives at risk.. if u wanna speed. do it out side the city where there is NO traffic and NO houses or what so ever..

if u cant control your aruges then u should see someone for that.. thats not healthy..

so think twice before u speed around kids... my friends dad spend 3rd of his life for paying someone.. because he was doing 50 in a back alley and a small kid across the street.. only like 9 years old.. and he didnt have enough time to stop.. luckily the kid lived but was in hurt badly.. he got sued and lost...

youknowtherest

Don Juan
Reaction score
One other thing about taking it to the track -- when (and I do mean "when," not "if") you see a car f--k up at 100+, you will quit driving fast in a street car.

OzyBoy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
i think in the outback here (northern territory - australia) there is no speed limit at all and you can pretty much go as fast as you want. :)

Vulpine

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
youknowtherest said:
I'm talking about learning how to actually drive in the 12's or under, which is another game entirely: learning how to read a tree, practicing your R/T, dialing-in your car's launch characteristics, managing your 60-foot time, power shifting, transbraking, learning what nitrous is really for, maxing out the torque curve through all the gears, TRULY tuning your engine to torque and hp through the rpm band (and learning the crucial difference between torque and hp) and not just bolting $#!+ on, etc., etc. You will never street race again: you'll realize that street racing is for punks, losers, and wannabes who have no idea what powerful cars are all about. Any idiot can drive 110 mph. It takes a particularly large set of balls -- and skills -- to drive 0-110 in ten seconds.
I whole-heartedly agree.

But, you really need to "run out" your car once... just once. An interstate,
4:30AM...

But street races? Silly. I can only "1st gear race" on the street. And, once you've been to the strip and have gotten a two car length hole shot on a corevette... driving a N/A 85 CRX... with a .548 reaction time (full tree)... and you see the look on the guy's face... your racing attitudes change. Yay! People have fast cars - whoop de doo. People can't race. And races are won by the driver, not the car.

People get p!ssed when you get better times in their car than they can.

My N/A '91CRX has blown away so many cars that it shouldn't have on the streets that it just gets dumb, especially when you consider risks.

I officially quit street racing one night when I actually wasn't even racing. I was sitting next to an old-school accord at a stop light (I wouldn't even bother to race an accord because I would just waste gas showing it my tail lights). So the light changes and I took off normally. Ok, fine, I'm just driving home la la la... and the accord goes raging by me making a nasty exhaust noise (bad) and fades into the distance. I couldn't even believe it. This guy "hit the squeeze"! And I wasn't even racing? I didn't know which I thought was sillier: that he wasted a shot of nitrous, or that he bothered to put nitrous on a clapped-out old accord. I actually had to laugh because, had I been racing, he still wouldn't have won - even with the nitrous. Dumb.

Street racing is masturbation when you can't get the real deal.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Why do I have the extreme urge to drive fast and test the limits of cars?

Because you're 17. I was the same way. Insurance companies are aware of this too, which is why your insurance is so expensive, especially on sports cars.

Men don't comprehend their own mortality until about age 23.

Road Demon

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Try skydiving. Downhill mountain biking.

Any one can go 100+ in a straight line. Whats the thrill?

I agree with youknowtherest go to the track. Attend a performance driving school. You will learn how to drive the car when things go wrong.

Public streets are difficult to judge as the road conditions change; you don't have clue how other drivers are going to respond to your driving. You could be the best driver in the world, but you cannot anticipate how a mommy in a caravan will drive. Bottom line many drivers on the road are scared to drive as well as being unable to drive.

I get challenged to race all the time. Especially when the roads are wet. It does get old rather quickly.

Learn to drive quickly, not fast. There is a big difference. I'm not worrried so much about your ability, but the ability of other drivers and how other will react to your driving.

Brian20o2

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks guys Im gonna check out where I can possibly get into some race tracks or amature racing nearby. That being said this is also my second to last post before I take a hiatus.

Le Parisien

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Because you are still young and "stupide", you will probably grow out of it eventually... or maybe not...:D

For the driving fast thing, go to Germany and Austria. Although officially there's speed limitation of some sort, it's almost never enforced on the highways. People usually drive at 110 mph (180 km/h) on the highways. It might even go up to 125 mph (200 km/h) and more if the car is a powerful Mercedes or BMW. Anyway, in Austria and Bavaria (a Länder/state of Germany), most people drive Mercedes BMW or Audi anyway...:cheer:

youknowtherest

Don Juan
Reaction score
Vulpine said:
...driving a N/A 85 CRX... with a .548 reaction time (full tree)...
F--k me. That's some driving. I hit .58 once, running a transbrake on a built C4 behind a 408 stroker. A good light for me is the mid .6's. My heart just won't stay still long enough to make the 5's. You must have ice water in your veins. :rockon:

Vulpine

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
youknowtherest said:
F--k me. That's some driving. I hit .58 once, running a transbrake on a built C4 behind a 408 stroker. A good light for me is the mid .6's. My heart just won't stay still long enough to make the 5's. You must have ice water in your veins. :rockon:
It's easy on a full tree. Since that car is a manual FWD, and doesn't have much torque (1.5L), I can't expect a dramatic launch. So, I had to come up with a "torque converter" technique. Are you following?

I Roll forward in the box until I trip the front sensor, then roll back to trip the back sensor, then I just inch forward in the box again to clear the back sensor. I yank the e-brake to keep me set (built in linelock :D), get the revs up at the top of the tree and dump the clutch to get the tires broiling around mid yellow. Then I roll into the gas to get the tire speed up (It keeps you in place better, and heats the tires better). Then, at the last yellow, throw the e-brake down. When you get the green, you are already on a slight creep forward. Just "blip" off the throttle to let the tires grab and roll back into the throttle gradually once you feel it hooking up. If you do it right, you'll burn out of the box with authority. Of course, it's tricky to not burn so much that you smoke out the sensors, and technique really is only good for street tires. So, basically, I use the tires as a torque converter. Since noone has seen that method, I should call it something like "Vulpine's Street-Brawler Drag Launch". I mean, who burns IN the box?

And by the way, .548 isn't even the best I got! That was just the notable one where I hole-shot the vette - and we got it on video. :cool: He was watching me burn instead of watching the tree, I guess. Later that day, after more practice, I ended up with a .5055! The guy in the tower announced it to the crowd and I got a standing O on the drive back past the stands... I didn't know why. I mean, my trap speed was only like 94 (my best time that day, don't laugh, the car only has like 100 hp) and I got my azz handed to me by a Supra. You know how it is, you don't really know how you did until you get your slip. I thought they were clapping for the Supra.

As they say, "run what you brung". I was just out having fun legally racing and ended up learning a lot. And, I taught some people a few things. Granted, my '85 isn't fast by any means (15.8 best), but I beat a couple people that day that I shouldn't have just on driving skill alone. THAT feels really good. I mean, to toss a nearly stock 20 year old 1.5L with 280k on it down the stip and get under 16 is doing something.

But, it gives you a sickness... you get a bug. You start to think, "Man, I need a faster ride so I can seriously school some of these tools. Wow, I hate to think what would happen when I sit on some serious heat." From then on, you've got the "itch".

I haven't had a chance to get my '91 to the strip yet. I wanted to get a new clutch/flywheel and a new tranny - I spun the second gear synchros racing cycles... oops. I've been fiending for a long time now.