Driving, Deer

Dillinger

Don Juan
Reaction score
On my way to and from work i see a lot of deer crossing signs. I have seen deer maybe three different times. I am scared to death of deer, i didn't know if anybody else had the same issue or any tips.

wavejams007

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
have a shotgun with you at all times, and drive slower in those areas.

Wyldfire

Banned
Reaction score
I once went hunting on interstate 91 in Vermont. It was early morning...still dark out. I was doing about 70 mph or so and was feeling really good about my car. I had just gotten new breaks and asked my brother in law to fill up my windshield washer fluid since it ran out. He never forgets but this time he did. A deer jumped out in front of me and I didn't even have time to take my foot of the gas. It was either bow or muzzle loader hunting season, so the deer were on the move early. Well...the collision knocked out my drivers side headlight, messed up my air conditioner and made a complete mess of my windshield (not broken...just a whole bunch of...ick, you could say.)

So, I hit the washer fluid button and nothing...no fluid. It just smeared all this blood, hair, fat and guts all over my windshield. I had to drive about 8 miles with me head out the window, in the dark with one headlight to the next exit. It was a truck stop I pulled into and the hunters all descended upon me like I was the next coming of Jesus Christ. "What'd ya hit? Gonna keep it? Where's it at?" hehehe. I told them no, I didn't want to keep it and my road kill was all theirs and told them where to go. They took off like a bat out of hell, racing to that dead dear in the middle of the road.

Damn it, I STILL made it to visit with my fiance' at the prison. He was mad at me for driving over 100 miles to see him after essentially wrecking the car. Now that's devotion for ya...

Deer are a pain, but it won't kill ya. Moose, on the other hand...those scare me. Their legs are so long and their body weight is high up. Hit them and they come right in the windshield with a ton or better to crush you. F*ckers charge cars, too.

Boner da Stoner

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Dillinger, read some farside comics, treat the deer like people and watch a few movies, get that fear straight out of you... I still agree that facing your fears is the best way to deal with em.

So go out hunting with somebody, or find out WHY you are scared of them... go to a petting zoo, regular zoo and feed them and than watch the ring 2

Centaurion

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Where I live, a kid died after hitting a deer with his scooter.

What a lousy way to go.

Wyldfire

Banned
Reaction score
Originally posted by Centaurion
Where I live, a kid died after hitting a deer with his scooter.

What a lousy way to go.
Yeah, a deer can do some damage to people on any motorized bikes because you're right out in the open.

diplomatic_lies

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Deer don't kill people, stupid people get killed when they ram their car into a deer and hit a tree.

On a slightly related note, I don't like people who hunt deer for the sake of hunting (as opposed to hunting for food or to defend themselves). Kind of wimpy when some guy wearing night vision goggles and a machinegun sprays 10,000 bullets into the forest against unarmed deer. At least hunt them with your bare hands.

Wyldfire

Banned
Reaction score
Originally posted by diplomatic_lies
Deer don't kill people, stupid people get killed when they ram their car into a deer and hit a tree.

On a slightly related note, I don't like people who hunt deer for the sake of hunting (as opposed to hunting for food or to defend themselves). Kind of wimpy when some guy wearing night vision goggles and a machinegun sprays 10,000 bullets into the forest against unarmed deer. At least hunt them with your bare hands.
People don't go out and hit deer on purpose...and honestly, it's not about how smart or dumb a person is. It's dumb luck. They can be in the bushes and you don't even see them and they'll jump right in front of you without any warning at all.

Hunters who were raised to hunt due to the lifestyle of where they live are responsible hunters who do hunt for food. My family relied on wild game in the winter because my father was a fisherman and things were slow in the winter. All of my sisters and I know how to hunt and none of us ever would have dreamed of playing with guns. They are to be respected and used with great care only.

I do, however, take issue with city people who haven't grown up in this kind of culture who decide to come to communities like the one I grew up in to try their hand at hunting. They are careless, can't tell a deer from a family pet and are dangerous to the communities they descend upon.

Hunting is NOT a sport...it's a way of life. If it's not YOUR way of life you don't belong in the woods with a weapon, period.

Hunting animals with your bare hands would not be a humane way to hunt. Guns are best because it is quick and the animal doesn't suffer. Making an animal suffer would be wrong and disrespectful.

Kid Quick

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Dillinger
On my way to and from work i see a lot of deer crossing signs. I have seen deer maybe three different times. I am scared to death of deer, i didn't know if anybody else had the same issue or any tips.
I hit one a few nights ago. Luckily I was coming out of a speed zone so I only had to slow down from 50. I probably hit it at about 25. I was dark so I couldn't find the doe, but it probably ran off. It left a basketball-sized dent on my hood so I think I can have it hammered out cheaply, but it's still not an expense I want as I'm unemployed.

It was on the left side of a two lane highway, froze when it saw me ("deer in the headlights" is true), and then ran back across the right side for some reason. I will stick to interstates next time.

No special tips to offer, just be vigilant when driving in any rural area in the dark.

spider_007

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Dillinger

there is a whisel (i probably spelled it wrong) that you attach to your radio antena. as you drive the air makes it work. aperently it will scare the deer away. I'm not sure if it's loud or if only they can hear it. Look in you local harware store or hunting supplies store they might be able to help you.....

Kid Quick

Don Juan
Reaction score
http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=597368

See first entry under Comments. It cites several articles.

From what I gather the air driven whistles may not even overcome the sound of the car itself. From these articles data on electronic whistles appear inconclusive. AAA's suggestion of honking could help if you are alert and quick enough to do so.

Wyldfire

Banned
Reaction score
Originally posted by Sicarius
Wildfire, of all guns, regardless of purpose, whats your favorite
I still have a fondness for the old .300 Savage I won at a turkey shoot when I was 12.

Wyldfire

Banned
Reaction score
Aw, Wildfire, you're -so- my kind of woman!
No I'm not. I'm almost old enough to be your Momma...am a single mother, divorce, was married to an abuser and refuse to tolerate disrespect or BS.

Know this, however...if I ever tell someone I'd bust a cap in their ass...I would NOT miss. :D

Wyldfire

Banned
Reaction score
In that case, your daughter, if any, if she's smart enough to give me the image that I want in women, is -so- my kinda woman.

One of the few images, at least.

Hah; we are such suckers for our own dreams.
I have two daughters. One is low maintenance, down to earth, kind, talented artist, doesn't like guns but loves camping and stuff. She gets HEINOUS PMS, though. She's a good girl through and through and if any man ever hurts her I'll have his legs broken.

The other is a high maintenance girly girl and when she grows up she is going to be extremely beautiful. She's already a drama queen, demanding and spoiled rotten. I'm trying to encourage the feminine side while diminishing the biotchiness. She's half Italian, though...my work is cut out for me. Her father will likely beat the crap out of any guy who hurts her...and possibly even tries to date her, lol.

I am doing my best to raise my girls to look for quality and stay away from the jerks/a$$holes and abusers. If that means being a biotch and chasing those kinds of guys off...so be it. Momma's like a gut shot grizzly when it comes to protecting her cubs.
:D

And no...I will NOT introduce any of you to my older daughter...so don't even go there.