Dorm/college food

hope7

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Make sure you look up all the college guides floating around this site. Do some searches for 'college' and friends'. They give you step by step instructions on what to do on your first days in college, which may the some of the most important days you experiance.

Abbott

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Kev07 said:
because i'll take 1 year (2 if i'm lucky)of dorm experience, then after that they will kick me out to find an apartment
Oh Okay...if you think it's worth it. To me, the required "meal plan," as well as the dorms themselves, are way overpriced for what you get.

Also, the meal plans, as far as I can tell, only seem to really cater to what most people want, and that's not really healthy food. Plus, having an apartment means you can decide whatever food you want, since the supermarket has a much larger selection of stuff. There are numerous other advantages, but you asked about food so that's all I'm going to mention right now. You also don't have to essentially eat out everyday, you go only when you want. Even if you wanted to use the school cafeteria, you still can and just use cash or a credit card. You just wouldn't have the pressure of burning up the meal plan (if you don't you waste money).

But, the decision is ultimately yours. I just hope for your sake you still think you made the right decision after the first year. At least you don't have to stay the second year.

foomee

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
college food isn't as bad as it sounds. it can taste pretty decent at times too! just make sure you don't eat junk food. stay with healthy stuff like lots of fruits and water and milk!

Throttle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Abbott said:
Oh Okay...if you think it's worth it. To me, the required "meal plan," as well as the dorms themselves, are way overpriced for what you get.
there are several advantages to dorm living, at least a year or two -- developing friendships that last a lifetime, learning to compromise, etc. the people I know who never lived in a dorm (or frat house, or equivalent) are generally less well-adjusted socially. you've got the rest of your life to live alone or with one other person & eat whatever you want.

Kev07

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Bay Area, California, Currently in SoCal (UCR)
Throttle said:
there are several advantages to dorm living, at least a year or two -- developing friendships that last a lifetime, learning to compromise, etc. the people I know who never lived in a dorm (or frat house, or equivalent) are generally less well-adjusted socially. you've got the rest of your life to live alone or with one other person & eat whatever you want.
exactly