Don’t be a Man. Be a Stoic.

Unregistered

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I think one issue people might have trouble accepting is that all things not within our control should be treated with indifference. That also includes good things, such as health, prosperity, and Jessica Alba. That doesn't mean we shouldn't strive for these things, but it does mean that our happiness should not depend on them in any way. That's the most difficult part of Stoicism for me, actually - I'm getting fairly adept at getting over the bad externals, but I still depend way too much on good events to make me happy.

chator56

Don Juan
Reaction score
Stoicism is a philosophy of resignation, the western counterpart to Buddhism. Women don't want a passionless man! Stoicism may be a comforting philosophy for losers, but it will not help you to get laid!

Luthor Rex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
chator56 said:
Stoicism is a philosophy of resignation, the western counterpart to Buddhism. Women don't want a passionless man! Stoicism may be a comforting philosophy for losers, but it will not help you to get laid!
Stoicism was featured in the film Gladiator rather nicely. Was Russell Crowe's character passionless and boring? Was he weak and resigned?

No you are thinking of the Epicureans.

There are things more important than getting laid! Players and Nice Guys have their lives revolve around women; both are flip sides of the same coin. In this they are slaves to women and shall be forever under the thumb of another.

Phoenix_of_the_ashes

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
chator56 said:
Its not about resignation of yourself.

Its acceptance that you can be happy with just the basic things, things that nobody can take from you. Its basicly reducing the things that you need to be happy so far that happiness is simply a question of having the right outlook on life.

Dont think that a stoic doesnt want to get laid and ill not do so. A stoic is happy to ****, but hes also happy if he cant.

Phoenix_of_the_ashes

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Oh and LOL on the passionless man, the early stoics here definetely passionate about their ways.

Lets see how many people remember you in 2000 years.

Reaction score
OK. I'm actually studying philosophy. I know about different ways of thinking about what a person/man should be. And I can tell you whatever answer you choose it is not a certain one. Whatever philosophy you choose it is due to what you believe only. The truth is impenetrable.

Phoenix_of_the_ashes

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Jeremy the Wicked said:
OK. I'm actually studying philosophy. I know about different ways of thinking about what a person/man should be. And I can tell you whatever answer you choose it is not a certain one. Whatever philosophy you choose it is due to what you believe only. The truth is impenetrable.
Thanks for the insight, but I dont need to study philosophy to know that.

But help me with one thing, from the point of view that there is no absolute truth, what do actual philosophers think of the figure of speech which is "the search for truth"?

Reaction score
Phoenix_of_the_ashes said:
Thanks for the insight, but I dont need to study philosophy to know that.

But help me with one thing, from the point of view that there is no absolute truth, what do actual philosophers think of the figure of speech which is "the search for truth"?
I did NOT say there is no absolute truth. It is stupid to think so: there is only one reality. Therefore you can search it. The problem is that our perception is to restricted and we can never judge if what we think IS true.

Luthor Rex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Jeremy the Wicked said:
I did NOT say there is no absolute truth. It is stupid to think so: there is only one reality. Therefore you can search it. The problem is that our perception is to restricted and we can never judge if what we think IS true.
There is a very long line of works in the philosophy of science that overthrows this view.

Back to the books! *crack*

Bvbidd

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
chator56 said:
You have to admit this is true. AND a LOT of stuff on this site does this. I read all this and realize I'm not getting any results. Just stuff to read to help you accept your losses. Especially the whole idea of nexting. :down:

All this will do is make you feel better about not getting results. This is better than getting depressed but is that all seduction is really about? How depressing is that? DJing is just the power to move on when your too ugly? Is this really the truth? :crazy:

Stoicism is the philoshophy of the old. Not the fun and young looking to accomplish something thrilling.