Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Does anyone think One Arm Rows are a replacement for chins?

Jack Wealthy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I read a Mens Health that recomended OAR's as significantly better then chins.
I was a bit pissed to be honest, I hate the feel of chins compared to OAR's but even I can't pretend they're better, chins make rows stronger but the opposite doesn't seem to be true. They're more functional. There is better progressions available. They're more impressive. (Pseudo science) they're also a closed chain excersise.
What advantages do OAR's have?

Fuglydude

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I have both of em in my program... variations of pull ups, even lat pull down. Of course I'm training for hypertrophy right now, so I think the idea is to hit a muscle group with lotsa different exercises and cause microtears etc...

When I was training for strength I'd do kroc rows, weighted underhand grip pull ups, as well as BW over hand wide grip pull ups. I was doing kroc rows w/ around 100-110 x 20... My PB on underhand grip pull ups was (BW + 100)x8. Definitely think the two are related, but I think you're right in that the stronger your row is the easier chins will feel. Overall these movements really help to grind out deads and secure them at the top!

I personally don't think OAR's have any direct advantage, but may allow you to get a better pump and isolate certain back muscles relative to chins/pull ups as there are less muscle at work, and the overall movement is less neuromuscularly taxing. This lets you focus more on the actual motion and you can ram out quality reps to really get the blood into your back. If you want a good back pump take a weight you can do 12-15 reps with and do your row... but add a twist at the end where you twist your hand so that your hand is supinated w/ the pinky closest to the body. I found this was great for getting good back pumps. I think combining lighter weight OARs and kroc rows would give you great results... just make sure you do the krocs first!

Jitterbug

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
One-armed DB rows improve my wide-grip chins as well as the top half of my deadlift. I do them fast at 3x8.

JDiddy

Don Juan
Reaction score
Do the opposite of whatever you read in Men's Health mag