Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Do you want to quit smoking?

George Gordon

Banned
Reaction score
Originally posted by DonCruez
Carr 's method only works for those good in deluding themselves. It didn't work for me.
He claims it's the other way around; as a smoker, you're deluded.

Regardless, you can believe either perspective. But if you know what you want, why not adapt the belief that gets you what you want? That's the way I choose to life me life anyway.

Even though I still believe that the AFC is the way to go, and the DJ way is a delusion, I've chosen to go with the DJ because I want a successful relationship. ;)

Cheers!

!GEORGE GORDON!

She makes you weak in the knees.

But she won't give you the time of day.

Here is how to get her.

CableLight

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by splinterkb
I had to take a required drug class. Nicotine is 100% addictive. Cocaine is 99%. Heroin is 60%. Keep in mind that these are PHYSICAL ADDICTIONS (excluding withdrawal severity).
Thats...maybe a little misleading. Nicotine's true chemical dependancy rate is around %70, roughly 5 times higher than cocaine. Cocaine is around %15 and heroin is %40-60.

I don't know if you meant that "%100 of the people who smoke are addicted," which I'm still not too sure of, but I definately know that "%99" of people who've done cocaine aren't necessarily addicted to it (hell, I can think of over 10 offhand). The source I got these number from say that the rate of coke (%15) is in "frequent" users, i.e., over 500 times.

Some extra-fun facts: Alcohol is around %10 and LSD is even lower than that. Yay, acid!

source: whyquit.com

DonCruez

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by George Gordon
He claims it's the other way around; as a smoker, you're deluded.
yup. smokers ARE deluded. no question about that.

IME, consciensly saying: 'i will not have cravings' will NOT make the cravings go away. Instead, why not accept the cravings as a sign of healing?

eventually, its about what works for you... Carr didn't work for me, Joel Spitzer's method did. That's the guy from WhyQuit.com.

DC,
quit for 114 days (3 Months, 3 Weeks, 2 Days, 8 hours and 40 minutes.) That's 3.430 sigs not smoked and 610,68 € saved. I will live 1 Week, 4 Days, 21 hours and 50 minutes longer.

DJBen

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Actually, thats purely statistical. You wont live any less, or any more if you have stopped smoking unless you end up suffering from a possible smoking related disease.

Either way, like all things, if you have the balls to use your will power and just not smoke, you'll gain that mental strength in every other aspect of life that requires you to be mentally tough and alert.

If you want to quit, quit. If you cant quit, you clearly dont wanna quit enough.

Dirtheart

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
you'll gain that mental strength in every other aspect of life that requires you to be mentally tough and alert.
I am definitely finding this out. I am actually enjoying battling the cravings. It's like a mental fight I'm going through and I'm determined to beat it. I've been waking the last few mornings feeling completely liberated and empowered, like I can achieve anything!

I've started taking up regular exercise and I'm currently bulking up, which has become my main focus now. Smoking made this so difficult, as I couldn't even walk up a flight of stairs without suffering palpitations and breathlessness. So I'm seeing some major advantages to giving up and they're putting the cravings in perspective.

I'm getting a greater high from not smoking than any nicotine rush could give me! :)

DonCruez

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by DJBen
Actually, thats purely statistical. You wont live any less, or any more if you have stopped smoking unless you end up suffering from a possible smoking related disease.
Well I haven't used the statistical data for how much longer a smoker lives. I used the time it takes to smoke a cigarette.

=> it's the amount of time i would 've spent on smoking. Not including nightly trips to gas stations to get a new pack, etc...

TyTe`EyEs

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I am definitely finding this out. I am actually enjoying battling the cravings. It's like a mental fight I'm going through and I'm determined to beat it. I've been waking the last few mornings feeling completely liberated and empowered, like I can achieve anything!
I've been dipping for about 5 years. I just can't seem to resist the craving for more than a couple days.

DJBen

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Good :)

I always make a point of overcoming something if my life is starting to fall into place. Something makes me give something up for a while, just to keep myself mentally strong. Sounds stupid, but it makes me feel a hell of a lot better :)

'Well I haven't used the statistical data for how much longer a smoker lives. I used the time it takes to smoke a cigarette.

=> it's the amount of time i would 've spent on smoking. Not including nightly trips to gas stations to get a new pack, etc...'

ah right, wrong end of the stick, sorry man :) Just think about what you could have done with the 98326587365872 minutes you spent smoking! such a waste!

cffrmw

Don Juan
Reaction score
all of you who say ciggs aren't addicting obviously have never smoked regularly. quitting is damn near impossible unless you decide 100% sure that you want to quit. i've never gotten to that point, so i still smoke. right now, i figure its more about quality of life rather than quantity: when i'm out with my friends and we're just hanging out, its fun for everyone to have a smoke together. i know its bad for my body, but... eat right, exersize, live healthy, die anyways. smoking really doesnt get in the way of anything for me - my girlfriend doesnt like the way it tastes (she smokes occassionally, like half a cigg a week), so when i'm around her i wont smoke. she's cool with it, i've never met anyone (other than my parents) who won't have anything to do with it. i'm not saying you should smoke, i'm just saying dont say its "all in the mind" or anything like that. and dont dis on people who do it, it's their life, their choice.

DonCruez

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by cffrmw
right now, i figure its more about quality of life rather than quantity
smoking really doesnt get in the way of anything for me
yup, your still 17, wait until you've smoked for 16 years like I did. mouning coughing, head aches, hangovers that are way worse than for a non-smoker, high blood pressure, needed more sleep, bronchitis throughout the winter,....

George Gordon

Banned
Reaction score
Originally posted by DonCruez
IME, consciensly saying: 'i will not have cravings' will NOT make the cravings go away. Instead, why not accept the cravings as a sign of healing?
Of course using "I will NOT..." does not work. But replacing that with the opposite does, as Allen Carr states. Instead use: "I am a non-smoker."

Why would you accept cravings as a sign of healing if you continue to have them your whole life? That would mean that you're healing from smoking for the rest of your life, would it not? Wouldn't it be better to smoke your last cigarette and not have to think about smoking again? Ever!

DC,
quit for 114 days (3 Months, 3 Weeks, 2 Days, 8 hours and 40 minutes.) That's 3.430 sigs not smoked and 610,68 € saved. I will live 1 Week, 4 Days, 21 hours and 50 minutes longer.
Why people keep track of the exact moment they quit smoking tells me something: They're still thinking about the last time they had a cigarette. They're still craving. After about three days after I quit, I'd have to stop and rememeber when I quit. Roughly two weeks ago, or whatever. Now, I have no idea. A few months ago. Sometime in July, I think. I am non-smoker now. I feel like I've never tried one before.

As for will power. I don't believe in it. I think it's an illusion, an excuse that we give ourselves to make us feel strong when we're really feeling insecure.

Just like when you found this site, you used your will power to wait 3-4 days to call a chick because of your insecurities. Now--if you've been around for a while--you've thrown that rule out because you don't need the will power anymore. Why don't you need the will power anymore? Because you're beliefs have changed and you're no longer insecure about things. You're secure. Your mind thinks more accuately in that area now because you've learnt what the seeds to regression are.

But if you've quit using the will power method, good for you! Whatever works for you. I wanted to quit smoking AND never have to crave and think about it again. If you just wanted to stop smoking regardless of whether or not you got craving, that's cool too.

!GEORGE GORDON!