Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Do protein shakes really work?

justheretohelp

Don Juan
Reaction score
Do protein shakes really work? I want to build some muscle and tone up. Can anyone recommend any good ones? I heard that if you drink a protein shake, its like having a meal because of all the calories. Is this true?

Help would be appreciated. Thanks!

L-I-B

Don Juan
Reaction score
yes protein shakes can assist you building muscle, if you stimulate your muscles properly(working out), eat in acess to your maintenance level of calories, and eat aprox 1 g of protein per lb. of body weight, you should gain muscle mass. protein shakes can help up your protien intake and calories...

Paid Laid & Made

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I like using Muscle Milk. It tastes great (Vanilla Flavor). I have noticed a difference and combined with milk, you get a full sensation, which makes you not want to eat as much. I only take it once a day and never before I go to bed.

Hope this helps.

Colt45

Don Juan
Reaction score
Its best to have one befor you work out or have one in the moring

Fadero

Don Juan
Reaction score
I bulked up using Met-Rx Pure Protein shakes. They don't taste bad and I got results fairly quickly. But yes, you really do have to do some serious weight training to help stimulate the process. You just can't expect to drink the shakes and not commit to working out and shocking your muscles for growth.

FitnessGuy

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by justheretohelp
Do protein shakes really work? I want to build some muscle and tone up. Can anyone recommend any good ones? I heard that if you drink a protein shake, its like having a meal because of all the calories. Is this true?

Help would be appreciated. Thanks!
A solid meal containing protein, carbs, and fats is much much better than a protein shake. But yea they provide extra protein so they do help.

Templeton

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Colt45
Its best to have one befor you work out or have one in the moring
After, not before. Protein is merely one nutrient not a complete meal.

FitnessGuy

Don Juan
Reaction score
Re: thanks!

Originally posted by justheretohelp
What are other sources of protein besides protein shakes and chicken?
Turkey and Tuna are very good because they are low in saturated fat, they are probably some of the leanest sources of protein available.
Mackerel and Salmon because they contain EFA's(Essential Fatty Acids), salmon being kind of expensive, so it's probably best to supplement with an EFA such as fish oil because it might be unrealistic to eat salmon and mackerel on a daily basis:)
Also pork, ham, beef, eggs, milk, cheese, cottage cheese, any meat really.

If you wanna get big, and are lifting weights, consider this quote from Lyle Mcdonald to help clarify the importance of protein and EFA's, "With sufficient protein and EFA's you can get ripped off table sugar". Something to think about:) Goodluck.

Eternal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Straining to lift this to Health and Fitness...

justheretohelp

Don Juan
Reaction score
whoops!

he ! he! let's move it over to health and fitness shall we?!?! I don't know how to!

killerasp

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
protien shakes do indeed help.

i myself drink Isopure Whey Protien. I tired the GNC brand and it felt thin and with no taste. Isopure is somewhat a little bit thicker and taste MUCH better. I buy my stuff online in 7.5lbs buckets for around $45. 3lbs bucket from GNC cost $45-$50. You do the math.

Reaction score
Optimum Nutrition's 100% whey is the best-tasting and highest-quality on the market for its price tag, imo. 23 grams of protein per serving. The chocolate flavor tastes just like Nesquik. You can often find a 10-pound bag for 46 bucks online. Don't ever buy anything from Get Nothing Cheap.

Miles Davis

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Protein shakes are not the things that work. It's the protein. You can obtain protein from tons of natural sources such as meat, eggs, milk, etc. Protein powder makes it super convenient to get your protein requirements as you are training. Also, whey protein is the most easily absorbed by the body, making it the deal source for a supplement.