Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Do any of you pull a sled??

bud_2005

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I saw some online for over a hundred dollars, but being a welder I think I could make one. A sled would probably just kill your legs and make them huge. Any of you use one?

simon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah, it's great for increasing work capacity and helped my squat somewhat also. Backwards pulling is painful.

I made mine by putting a wooden base in an old tyre and using sandbags as weight. If you can made a metal one yourself then go for it.

EFFORT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
simon said:
Yeah, it's great for increasing work capacity and helped my squat somewhat also. Backwards pulling is painful.

I made mine by putting a wooden base in an old tyre and using sandbags as weight. If you can made a metal one yourself then go for it.

I made mine similiar but in a lazy way, i went to a tire co place and asked if they had any old tires and they took mebe out back and they had a huge stack so i took about 4 of them, then I wrap chain around them and connect the chain to my belt then pull them, really good on off days.

kickureface

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
simon said:

im making one jsut like that currently. how did you make a harness and how did you attach it to the tire?

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Some mma fighters I train with will occasionally drag a big tire around the parking lot. You can attach a chain to a tire if you have bolt cutters or a tool to cut the chain and some "quick links" which are adjustable chain links. Porch swing chain is like five bucks and the quick links are about a dollar. Our big tire has a rope tied to it that we just grab and drag, no harness. For mma training, they sprint or at least run with the tire to get exhausted quickly.

kickureface

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
you grab it between the legs?

and u just made 2 slits in the tire and slipped achain through them?

simon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
kickureface said:
im making one jsut like that currently. how did you make a harness and how did you attach it to the tire?
I made 2 holes in the tyre which I passed a length of rope through then tied the ends to make a loop. I attach the loop of rope to a crappy weight belt using a short bit of heavy chain and a carabiner.

kickureface

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
wow sounds like big holes. i had to work up redrilling a small one into one that wasn't significantly bigger. I just got one of those loop metal things that looks like a closed ? and pulled the rope through that and just hold both ends in my hand and drag.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yes. It's to pull, not a sled to ride on. An inner tube would work if you filled it with something heavy, but old tires are easier.

gmillar

Don Juan
Reaction score
It's meant to be heavy, genius. For resistance. An inner tube would be useless.

simon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Took me about 5 minutes to fit the wood into the tire. I found the wood on the side of the road. And I don't see how pulling an inner tube looks any cooler than pulling a tire.

Quiksilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Where do you guys pull your sleds?

I'm on a uni campus right now and i don't think the boys would like me tugging a loaded tire down the hallways.

The closest track is a good 10 minute cycle ride from here, so lugging a heavy sled around is gonna be difficult.

Any ideas?

kickureface

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
just do it in the hallways. i do it in my driveway. do it early mornings if you dont want to get laughed at or challenge your neighbors to pull drunk

simon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Quiksilver said:
Where do you guys pull your sleds?

I'm on a uni campus right now and i don't think the boys would like me tugging a loaded tire down the hallways.

The closest track is a good 10 minute cycle ride from here, so lugging a heavy sled around is gonna be difficult.

Any ideas?
How about a car park? Or ask the groundstaff at the track if you can store it somewhere. Grass is another option if you don't have any hard surface available, it's just harder to pull on.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
San Jose California said:
Uhm, an inner tube is way more logical and obviously works way better. You fail at life.

I think we have a failure to communicate.

This is an inner tube:
http://shop1.actinicexpress.co.uk/shops/partsforaircraft/images/catalog/Inner_tube_large.JPG

Even the very biggest ones would only weigh a few pounds. We are talking about pulling a weighted sled as training, not sledding in the snow. A big tractor tire, or a stack of tires chained together works a lot better at being heavy and offering resistance.

Tonight my mma trainer was trying to have us pull a stack of 2 45-pound weights across an indoor sports complex, doing 40-yard sprints as we pulled it, but the rope kept melting on the astroturf. We were all about 160 pound fighters; I imagine big guys would pull more weight. We got tired of re-tying the rope, so we ran sprints without the weight, then ran more while carrying each other.

Quiksilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hmmm.. you guys pull sleds on pavement? My limited experience with sled pulling is on grass, using a flat piece of thin metal with the front bent up and a welded vertical rod in the middle to put plates on to.

Unfortunately it was a little hard to bring overseas and I don't have access to welding equipment here..

So you guys just throw a chain through some tires and tug them along the road or something?

--

Also, if Ruckus reads this, I remember you used to do put some weight plates in a backpack and walk on the treadmill with it.. how did that work out for you? I'm thinking of adding some of that too.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Quiksilver said:
Hmmm.. you guys pull sleds on pavement? My limited experience with sled pulling is on grass, using a flat piece of thin metal with the front bent up and a welded vertical rod in the middle to put plates on to.

Unfortunately it was a little hard to bring overseas and I don't have access to welding equipment here..

So you guys just throw a chain through some tires and tug them along the road or something?

Yep, exactly, that is what my mma trainer has us do. I don't think the surface matters so much as long as you create resistance. Tires are big and heavy, so resistance is easy to create.

simon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Grass is harder to pull on than pavement so you'd need to lower the weight.

mrRuckus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Quiksilver said:
Also, if Ruckus reads this, I remember you used to do put some weight plates in a backpack and walk on the treadmill with it.. how did that work out for you? I'm thinking of adding some of that too.
What do you mean? It works fine. It was convenient to do during lunch at work at the gym a block away. I enjoy everyone looking at me like i'm stupid since the older i get the more i realize everyone else is stupid and it's ironic and fun.

For everyone who can find a place to pull a sled, find a sled on ebay for like $120 and be done with it. It'll last your whole life. What is this tire nonsense, cheapos? Mine is 60 lbs with a pole for plates and has some heavy duty nylon rope with carbiners. I wear an ironmind's hip belt that another carbiner attaches to.