Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Do American women cook anymore?

speakeasy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Seriously, I don't know any young females that know how to cook. Sure, they can make something simple like throw a steak on the pan or make scrambled eggs and sausage, but when it comes to knowing how to make real dishes, I just don't see it anymore.

Growing up, my mom always worked a full time job. Even still, she considered it her duty to make sure her husband and kids had a meal every night. Every so often, she'd be drop dead tired and we'd order a pizza and that was fine. But she cooked, and knew how to cook a wide variety of things from scratch. All mashed potatoes were made from real potatoes, not kraft processed potatoes you add water and stir. She made spaghetti sauce from her own recipe, not the bottled stuff. It seems like the art of cooking is dying out. Females my age seem to have mothers that can cook, but none of this knowledge has been passed to the daughters. It's like they're just not interested. Women consider it "degrading" now.

This also contributes to the obesity epidemic. People would rather just go out and grab some fast food rather than prepare meals from fresh ingredients. Fewer people seem to be interested in learning to cook(unless it's an occasional thing like Thanksgiving), and fewer women than ever feel like it's a woman's family obligation. You can see why so many men want a more traditional woman and would rather date a woman from Latin America, or Asia, or Russia that won't put up a feminist fuss about cooking. My mom, an African-American woman never fussed a day about it. Her mom cooked. Her mom taught her to cook. And she feels it's her role. Yet my sister has no interest in learning from her. Everything she eats involves no cooking. Either go out and grab something, or nibble on snacks or fruit.

PRMoon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
My mom rarely cooked for me when I was young, it was an occasional thing but other then that my dad cooked. Then again my mom was a HORRIBLE cook! Not saying my dad was a chef, but my mom f*cked up broccoli for what it's worth. It wasn't until my parents got divorced until she started cooking good stuff. When I came back home my second year of college she pretty much had nothing in the fridge because she doesn't eat that much (probably the result of her horrible cooking) but she made me some of the best home made soup i've ever had. The following year though she butchered gazpacho, it was a travesty. My father in comparison, was a much better cook. He wasn't the end all be all but he could take 15-20 dollars and make more then palatable foods while mowing the lawn, tilling the garden, washing the windows, raking the leaves or shoveling the snow. He knew to keep things simple and did it without all that much effort. It wasn't even a task for him.
Some people are made to cook and some aren't. I'd like to say that everybody had the Donna Reed mom with the apron and was able to cook a solid meal every night but that's not really realistic these days. The idealized family unit does feature a mom behind the stove but when it boils down to it, the best cooks are most often men. When was the last time you saw a woman featured on Iron Chef? Gordon Ramsey's Hell's Kitchen winners have always been men. The vast majority of restaurant chefs and owners are men. There are tons of more examples but really women were cooks in most homes because it wasn't suitable for them to do anything else but keep house and cook. Now that they've entered the work force, having the better sex at that profession take the fore front isn't all that surprising.

synergy1

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
most good cooks I know are guys. My last g/f did cook on occasion and she wasn't bad at it. In general, most women I knew didn't really cook, and the ones who were outright bad looked bad too.

speakeasy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It is interesting that most the top name chefs are men. I don't know why that is though. I just spent some time over the holidays with family. I was impressed at how my mom can whip up the most tasty omelets and deserts and pies like it's nothing, even makes tasty meals out of leftovers. Doesn't by Stoufers or any of that ready made stuff. Everything is from scratch. Even the oatmeal she makes is delicious. As simple as oatmeal is, I can't make mine taste like hers. She uses milk, nutmeg, cinnamon and sugar and just blends it to a perfect consistency. I haven't been able to duplicate it. She's never used packaged gravy in her life. I didn't even know there was such a thing until I moved out. I never appreciated the skill of cooking when I was younger, but now that I'm older and see how rare it is amongst women these days, I value it like never before. These days, a girl can't even make you a bowl of chicken soup if you're sick. She'll probably bring you a Cup O' Noodles.

Teflon_Mcgee

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Mmmm....

Well, my wife has cooked for me several times since we have been together.

All of it has been very good dishes (beyond scrambled eggs and stuff...)

But....

I prefer to cook. I enjoy cooking. I dream about the kitchen I'll have in a few years.

Plus, you mention healthy. Everyhting I eat is more along the lines of oatmeal, eggs, veggies, and chicken/beef/turkey.

These are dishes that take two minutes, require no skill (though I am a pro at them), and can usually be cooked in big enough batches to last a few days. This is why I prefer my wife don't coock.

Poonani Maker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
MY mom is a b!tchin cook. Whenever I visit (once a year maybe), I'd rather eat whatever the fvck she fixes rather than any fine dinning place we could go to.

All other women my age and below, pretty much all, can't cook better than I can.

I'm moving closer to work so that I can get home quicker so that I can get to cooking my dinner quicker. I look forward more to food than I do women throughout the week.

Colossus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Poonani Maker said:
All other women my age and below, pretty much all, can't cook better than I can.

I'm moving closer to work so that I can get home quicker so that I can get to cooking my dinner quicker. I look forward more to food than I do women throughout the week.
^^Cosign.

Xx1

Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah, it's a goddam shame that a few years from now, women will be only useful for sex in america. They're fvcking up everything they're useful for... No, learning how to text at 9000 words per minute is not a woman's duty.

Phenomenal One

Don Juan
Reaction score
My mother is a great cook while the other woman in my life are so-so.

(I thought my brother was gonna cry over the phone when he heard what my mother had prepared for thanksgiving, his wife can't cook for sh*t)

I think it has to do with the mothers not teaching their daughters about the importants of being able to cook, easy access to fast food and some feeling that they should'nt have to cook.

these days i have my mother teaching me how to cook some of my favorite dishes.

Jitterbug

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
My mum is a chef (professionally). My dad is a terrific cook. I'm not as good as either, but I've learned enough from them to cook some decent stuff.

I've never met any woman under 30 who can cook. For that matter, few of the older ones (30~40) can.

You can see why so many men want a more traditional woman and would rather date a woman from Latin America, or Asia, or Russia that won't put up a feminist fuss about cooking.
Well, THAT is going to be a problem.

You see, my mum lives in Asia. When I was growing up, she often bemoaned the fact that so few youngsters are interested in the arts of cooking (she had a cooking school then). In the last 10 years, she's seen many young families that are like in the West: buying takeaways or eating out, as neither man or wife can cook.

This year she reopened her cooking school again (despite having retired a couple years ago) due to high demand. The demand comes from young wives of up&comer men, who cannot cook and are desperate to do something to enhance their marriage as their husbands keep "eating out" with work colleagues all the time.

The art of cooking is one foundation part of the art of loving.

It is interesting that most the top name chefs are men. I don't know why that is though.
Men dominate both ends of the bell curve in any field.

taiyuu_otoko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Never underestimate the allure of a man who can confidently say "Wanna come over to my place? I make a really good (insert fave dish)"

If she says "yes" to that, you've got a pretty good chance of sticking Mr. happy into her slippery love box over and over again.

Just make sure she does the dishes before she leaves.:D

mpimpin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
My mom used to cook really well before my parents got divorced and after that it was crap and takeout all the time. Though she still makes great desserts. Being in college I've learned to do a lot of cooking on my own and enjoy it. I've been invited over to girl's houses when they offer to make me a meal and usually its something frozen. The art of cooking is becoming lost.
If I was married and getting fed pretty good I think it lessens the likelihood of cheating.

Maybe some ugly girls need to learn how to cook it would raise their value a little bit

BigJimbo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hahaha. No, they don't cook but they do eat! If you don't believe me just visit any college campus in America. Depressing.

As the saying goes....A dream is an American income, Chinese cooking, British house, and Ukrainian wife. A nightmare is an American wife, Ukrainian income, Chinese house, and British cooking. Funny, but oh so true. Remember, immigrants and foreign students are just as bad. You must leave the West.

There ya go. Russian girls learning about guns, sewing, and cooking. The woman at the 1:25 mark pretty much tells you why (outside of superior genetics) why Russia and Ukraine are tops for girls. Husbands don't cook, clean, or seem to give a **** about kids. As the father of my last girlfriend in Russia says, "Girls cook, clean, and take care of children while we do the important things like discuss if UFO's exist." Sounds funnier in Russian.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4ziX-9FjTg&NR=1&feature=fvwp

It gets even better in Ukraine. The presidential election is coming up and the heavy favorite had this quote a few days ago...And if she is a woman, she has to go to the kitchen.”
http://www.kyivpost.com/news/nation/detail/57708/

And if that wasn't enough Ukraine girls can at least wash by hand...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOVjXOBJBT8
Gotta love Ukraine. And a few feet from this demonstration (on Maidan Square) you see these cars all around...They get the hot water.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgE8RuAfy4A

Do yourselves a favor and travel to this fascinating part of the world. Surreal in so many ways.

penkitten

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
i learned to cook at a very young age because my mother had to work a lot and i was the only girl.
i used to have to light the pilot light on the gas stove with a lighter and newspaper when i turned the eye on, when i was 6 or 7, just to scramble eggs for my brothers.

my mother took the time to teach me how to cook when i was young because she needed the extra help. we were too poor to buy convenient foods so everything took time to prepare. we were healthy and we ate well and we slept good at night.

you learn to be creative when you are poor haha!
you can improvise when you have staple goods in the house.
it seems other people are not even buying staples anymore!

teaching my kids to cook is fun.
they take turns ...since there are 4 kids, i have a different child help each night. my 11 yr old daughter wants to be a chef when she grows up.
for christmas, she got recipe books that she asked for . my mother in law gave her their family's secret recipes.

WaterTiger

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I remember, a few years back, hanging with my ex-boyfriend's 2 teen age daughters, ages 13 & 15. It was pouring rain & I told them I'd make hot cocoa for them. They were stunned when I got out cocoa powder, sugar and milk. They had NEVER SEEN IT DONE like that before! They thought the only way to make hot cocoa was with the stupid little packets! How sad is that???

I learned, like Penkitten, to cook young as my Mom was often called on to help with the family business. I'd get called into the kitchen, Mom would hand me the wooden spoon & say :"I have to go, finish dinner!"

I'm a good cook, have a well stocked spice cabinet & know how to use them! But then, I'm a generation apart from the "Modern Girls" you guys have to put up with.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
penkitten said:
i used to have to light the pilot light on the gas stove with a lighter and newspaper when i turned the eye on, when i was 6 or 7

That reminds me of myself being sent off with a pack of matches to go burn piles of trash...when I was six. No wonder I still like fires so much.

Sisyphus7

Don Juan
Reaction score
BigJimbo said:
Hahaha. No, they don't cook but they do eat! If you don't believe me just visit any college campus in America. Depressing.

As the saying goes....A dream is an American income, Chinese cooking, British house, and Ukrainian wife. A nightmare is an American wife, Ukrainian income, Chinese house, and British cooking. Funny, but oh so true. Remember, immigrants and foreign students are just as bad. You must leave the West.

There ya go. Russian girls learning about guns, sewing, and cooking. The woman at the 1:25 mark pretty much tells you why (outside of superior genetics) why Russia and Ukraine are tops for girls. Husbands don't cook, clean, or seem to give a **** about kids. As the father of my last girlfriend in Russia says, "Girls cook, clean, and take care of children while we do the important things like discuss if UFO's exist." Sounds funnier in Russian.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4ziX-9FjTg&NR=1&feature=fvwp

It gets even better in Ukraine. The presidential election is coming up and the heavy favorite had this quote a few days ago...And if she is a woman, she has to go to the kitchen.”
http://www.kyivpost.com/news/nation/detail/57708/

And if that wasn't enough Ukraine girls can at least wash by hand...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOVjXOBJBT8
Gotta love Ukraine. And a few feet from this demonstration (on Maidan Square) you see these cars all around...They get the hot water.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgE8RuAfy4A

Do yourselves a favor and travel to this fascinating part of the world. Surreal in so many ways.
I lived in Russia for a while during college, and it's true. I remember going with a group of Russian students to hang out in a friends dorm, when we got there one of the girls said "The women belong in the kitchen!" and they all went to the dormitory kitchen to cook something.

Paintballguy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
My girlfriend doesn't cook besides the easy stuff that doesn't count, but I've been starting to teach her how to. Also, she does all the dishes after I'm done cooking. :)

This society is just so ****ed up nowadays. Most American women want to be catered to because they are stuck up *****es.

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
it's not just American women my friend.

my Fiancee is British,grew up on a fvcking farm for crying out loud and if it requires a skillet or an oven, for the most part you can forget it.

for her qualities.. cooking is not one of them.

everything she knows how to cook for the most part I have thought her. whcih is good becuase she only cooks the **** i like to eat :)

lol, I remember I took her to meet my Grandma in little rock and... to this day... i can't walk in my grandma's house without me having my own fvcking sweet patatoe pie. it's goin down if I don't have my own sweet potato pie. my dad and I. Hell will be raised. my grandma makes the best motherfvcking sweet potato pie I have ever had in my life...damn i'm getting hungry just thinking bout it. you know ie is good when you eat the whole ****ing thing with a fork and don't bother breaking it up.

anyway, she saw how much i loved the pie, and she got the bright idea... she was going to learn how to make pie like that... so she asks my Grandma for instructions.. now.. my grandma tells her.. baby...all due respect... I've been cookin for 60 years...i dont' think you can make this pie ilke i can... not to be dettered.... she begs for detailed recipe, and she gives it to her.

so we get back to California and she goes to the store.... and she is going to make a whole meal out of it. sweet potato pie, I love home made rolls as well, and home made yams... damn... and dressing with ham.

so I go to the track, and I come home, and she doesn't say anything.. and there is takeout on the table...

I got the hint and left it at that. and we never spoke of the pie again. poor baby.

it took every ****ing ounce of self control I had not to laugh..

but yeah... women in general just don't cook. I cook because I"m health conscious and the stuff I cook is healthy and becuase I can half ass cook my eating options are better than eating subway.