Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Deadlifts with barbells?

bud_2005

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I don't see any magazines promoting this but I did it and I really liked it. Is this an acceptable way to train?

MrS

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It is the Number 2 exercise in any workout program.
Magazines don't promote it because you need to do the exercise properly, and it's too "complex" for a magazine to "risk" promoting it.

insidious

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If you're serious about your training, this lift is a *must*.

There are many guys here who can explain much better, but let me tell you my take on deadlifts.

They are not "glamorous", it is not one of those media-driven crowd pleasing chick-magnet exercises. When I mention deadlifts to most people, they have NO friggin' idea what I'm talking about. You say "bench press" and everybody and their uncle knows exactly what you're rambling about.

When I started serious training about a year and half ago, I started these and frankly, they did nothing for me at the time. Reason: I was coming off major injuries (fractured neck/lacerated organs/subdural hematoma/dislocated shoulder) and my first deadlifts were a whopping 60lbs! I was not detered by my lack of startling results and I continued. I've progressed very slowly (my own choice) and right now I am deadlifting about 210 lbs for reps.

Don't judge this exercise by immediate results or "pump." It is a steady workhorse for which you will reap the rewards when you least realize it. If done correctly and with steadily increasing weight, it will assist in building your core - and by virtue of that, the rest of your skeletal strength. I credit much of my recovery from coma-vegetable to where I am today to this damn lift. :kick:

flnazrael

Don Juan
Reaction score
Deadlifts are just like squats - they work so much mass that the body releases a flood of testosterone and HGH in response, and they will help you get bigger and stronger everywhere. I absolutely HATE deadlifts and squats, but there really is nothing better for overall growth.

Men's Health seems to promote it every issue, at least during my subscription.

Zerix

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
flnazrael said:
Men's Health seems to promote it every issue, at least during my subscription.
Yeah, they're always suggesting you stick to total-body workouts with compound movements such as Deadlift, Benchpress, etc.

flnazrael

Don Juan
Reaction score
Come to think of it, I can't think of a magazine that doesn't promote it. lol I used to have M&F, Men's Health, and Men's Fitness subscriptions and I'd see that move often. It's also included in some of the hardcore mags I would read every now and then, the ones with Jay Cutler on the cover doing reverse wrist curls with like a 150lb dumbbell or something.

bud_2005

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I know magazines promote deadlifts. I should have been more clear. I'm talking about using barbells to do deadlifts. The only deadlifts I have seen done in magazines are done with the bar.

Mr.Positive

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
insidious said:
If you're serious about your training, this lift is a *must*.

There are many guys here who can explain much better, but let me tell you my take on deadlifts.

They are not "glamorous", it is not one of those media-driven crowd pleasing chick-magnet exercises. When I mention deadlifts to most people, they have NO friggin' idea what I'm talking about. You say "bench press" and everybody and their uncle knows exactly what you're rambling about.

When I started serious training about a year and half ago, I started these and frankly, they did nothing for me at the time. Reason: I was coming off major injuries (fractured neck/lacerated organs/subdural hematoma/dislocated shoulder) and my first deadlifts were a whopping 60lbs! I was not detered by my lack of startling results and I continued. I've progressed very slowly (my own choice) and right now I am deadlifting about 210 lbs for reps.

Don't judge this exercise by immediate results or "pump." It is a steady workhorse for which you will reap the rewards when you least realize it. If done correctly and with steadily increasing weight, it will assist in building your core - and by virtue of that, the rest of your skeletal strength. I credit much of my recovery from coma-vegetable to where I am today to this damn lift. :kick:
Wow Insidious, if your post does fire anyone up on adding deadlifts to their routine, I don't know what will!! Those were some very serious injuries to overcome, great job!

I just started doing deadlifts, I'll keep your story in mind and be sure to keep doing them....(I don't enjoy them just yet)

mintxx

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
LOL bytches!

Last edited:

insidious

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
mintxx said:
NONE of you even read the OP's question.

and no, it's not acceptable (in my opinion) as a replacement for a bar. the weight has to be connected in a single mass. if you're lifting a weight that you can lift with dumbbells, you're not lifting enough to stimulate your body into growth. you're wasting energy on trying to stabilise weights, it'll be impossible to use proper form safely, and you're doing something that (mostly) does not simulate a real use for the muscles. it won't symmetrically effect your back and it could injure you BAD if you're not careful. plus, the weights move back to your sides and you end up doing squats (kind of)

you can use dumbbells for rows, but they target shoulders and upper back, a lot safer.

but i could be wrong, i haven't seen dumbbells specifically rejected as an alternative that i can think of. just reasoning based on the deadlift itself.

when you say you liked it... what does that mean? what's wrong with a bar?
LOL whatever man, it took me about 3 more posts before I understood the OP's question. mintxx, of course you're right. My theory is, if you can't ask what you meant, you didn't mean what you asked. That's what my folks taught me. Whatever.

Let's do the basics here:

barbell = loooong bar weighted on each end with weights Usually (not always) pushed w/ 2 arms.

dumbells = short bar weighted on each end with weights Usually (not always) pushed w/ 1 arm.

blinkwatt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
bud_2005 said:
I don't see any magazines promoting this but I did it and I really liked it. Is this an acceptable way to train?
Dude as long as your having fun and not getting injured anything is acceptable.

mintxx

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
LOL fukking OOPS! my mistake..haha can't believe it, i'm an idiot

i read dumbbells because it so obviously (to me) doesn't make any sense to ask a question like 'is it good to do deadlifts with barbells'. (how the fukk else do you do them)

maybe if it'd said 'is it good to do deadlifts' (is it good to breathe)
is it good to do deadlifts with barbells (is it good to breathe oxygen)

and please, i know the difference.

ok the answer i would have given if i wasn't trying to read at lightspeed and assume that people knew obvious shyte:

deadlifts are as essential as bench presses. carefuly use good form to avoid injury.

and you bytches KNOW that's why I misread the question. so spare me the sarcasm. i mean wtf? asking if deadlifts are a good idea is pretty daft to me.

mrRuckus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
No one cares about what i bench or what i squat... but when in the gym and i load up my deadlift with a crapton of weight people, even the big guys, start looking over and saying things to me. I personally think squats are harder for me but people are amazed by the number of plates on a deadlift.