deadlift results?

LoneSilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I agree 100% for after 3 months I am more than pleased with my results as I have noticed without a doubt improvements in my upper back, shoulders, traps, definitely hips, butt, and forearms.

It would be a big disappointment if after 3 months after eating the right foods, getting the right protein and rest and working my ass off on deads I didn't see results.

I am not sure if genetics plays a part in this but it seems to me anyone should be able to get superb results doing deads in a short period of time and even if your diet is a bit screwed someone doing deads should at least be harder and a bit thicker in my opinion but I could be wrong.

LoneSilver

6-heads lewis said:
Deadlifts are king at adding mass, you'll notice improvements in upper back, shoulders, traps, glutes, forearms. You're either not doing proper form or you're not eating enough if you haven't noticed this.

MetalFortress

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
kickureface said:
well ive been deadlifting as heavy as i can for a while now for 1x5 at the end of a rippetoes workouts (squat, bench deadlift or squat, press, row). as far as i know, ive gone up a lot, now 275 at 155 body weight. not too spectacular but a decent progression for me. mostly its my grip that gives out anyways, but even with this progress, i dont feel any difference in my back. no doubt it is getting stronger but is it supposed to get bigger or something? my lower back seems to have stayed the same throughout my lifting days. my form is pretty good as i check in side mirrors and make sure my back is straight and that my shoulders go up first.
thanks
If you have to, quickly regrip the bar after you lower it. And one set of is not going to make you grow, really, unless you are training to failure, which is not a bright idea on deadlifts. And even that would require more reps.

kickureface

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
i do regrip the bar. i actually deweight completely, grip again as it usually slips a bit and bring it back up. and as for 1x5, im just following the program. its 3x5 squats, 3x5 bench and 1x5 deadlift. i dont mind doing a 3x5 deadlift, and i dont know why it is only 1x5 but im just following it for now. unless, anyone can convince me otherwise :)

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
kickureface said:
i do regrip the bar. i actually deweight completely, grip again as it usually slips a bit and bring it back up. and as for 1x5, im just following the program. its 3x5 squats, 3x5 bench and 1x5 deadlift. i dont mind doing a 3x5 deadlift, and i dont know why it is only 1x5 but im just following it for now. unless, anyone can convince me otherwise :)
on that program, 1x5 deadlift is enough. don't mess around with a set program, it's formatted that way for a reason.

Throttle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
what WBA said. don't screw around with rippetoe's program. as if the explicit warning at the top weren't enough deterrent...

Mjazz

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
diet is very important, so make sure your focusing on that, I would say dont deadlift more than once a week, especially if your going heavy. and no, DONT GET STRAPS that is the worst advice I have ever heard, after a few weeks, your forearms and grip will be ages behind your back, never able to catch up. Why dont you work on your grip instead? Captains of crush grippers are good, do plate pinches, wrist curls and wrist rollers. Dont neglect your forearms

shaunuk

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
MJazz - if you're missing a lift because the barbell is slipping, you need to be using straps. They don't stop forearm growth anyway, they just make it easier to hold the barbell past when your grip starts to give out.

True, don't neglect your forearms, but without straps, you'll be neglecting your back (in favour of your forearms) - makes no sense.

-shaun

donjuanjovi

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Mjazz said:
DONT GET STRAPS
That's the worst advice I've ever heard.

Don't hold your deadlifts back just because your grip gets burnt out.
To quote the great Dave Tate;

"The last thing for dropped pulls is very simple — get stronger! Let's say you always drop 700 lbs, but can pull 650 lbs easy and pulling 700 lbs with straps is no problem. Well, get strong enough to pull 750 lbs with straps and 700 lbs will feel like 650 lbs."

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Mjazz said:
diet is very important, so make sure your focusing on that, I would say dont deadlift more than once a week, especially if your going heavy. and no, DONT GET STRAPS that is the worst advice I have ever heard, after a few weeks, your forearms and grip will be ages behind your back, never able to catch up. Why dont you work on your grip instead? Captains of crush grippers are good, do plate pinches, wrist curls and wrist rollers. Dont neglect your forearms
while I agree to work your grip and forearms, doing deadlifts without straps will simply slow your progress. you cannot overload your back and grip with the same load unless you have hands of iron. I know 300lb powerlifters with 600-800lb deadlifts, they train with straps up until the meet..

and if you're doing any kind of rep work on the deadlift, it is dangerous to do it without straps, simply (you might pull unevenly).

mrRuckus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I forgot my straps today when i went to do deadlifts

Even with over/under I couldn't lift it off the ground. I was a good 40 lbs under my typical weight. And if i were doing rack deadlifts (which i have another 50 or so more lbs on) i wouldn't have even been close.

Reaction score
mrRuckus said:
I forgot my straps today when i went to do deadlifts

Even with over/under I couldn't lift it off the ground. I was a good 40 lbs under my typical weight. And if i were doing rack deadlifts (which i have another 50 or so more lbs on) i wouldn't have even been close.
Doesn't that mean your forearms and wrist are weak? I see powerlifters who do 500+ lbs deadlift without a belt, strap or gloves.

kickureface

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
bleh. i dont wanna go straps! :(
is there any specifics about buying straps, like whats the best? or is it just whatevetr

simon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I hear prowriststraps.com sell good ones.

mrRuckus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
PeterNorthisawesome said:
Doesn't that mean your forearms and wrist are weak? I see powerlifters who do 500+ lbs deadlift without a belt, strap or gloves.
Yeah. So what?

Bigger, stronger back sooner or wait around for months doing less weight while my grip catches up?

stronglifts

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
kickureface said:
well ive been deadlifting as heavy as i can for a while now for 1x5 at the end of a rippetoes workouts (squat, bench deadlift or squat, press, row). as far as i know, ive gone up a lot, now 275 at 155 body weight. not too spectacular but a decent progression for me. mostly its my grip that gives out anyways, but even with this progress, i dont feel any difference in my back. no doubt it is getting stronger but is it supposed to get bigger or something? my lower back seems to have stayed the same throughout my lifting days. my form is pretty good as i check in side mirrors and make sure my back is straight and that my shoulders go up first.
thanks
Good that you are doing Rippetoe's program.

-How tall are you? at 155lbs you should probably eat more.
-don't use straps on deadlifts, it will only aggravate your grip problems. use an alternate grip.

-Mehdi.

kickureface

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
5'9, maybe 16% bf. i do use alternate grip, but i dont want my back to fallbehind

stronglifts

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
kickureface said:
5'9, maybe 16% bf. i do use alternate grip, but i dont want my back to fallbehind
Try this:
*Eat more but eat clean. 16% is too high. Train & eat, you'll lose fat & gain muscle.
*lift hard: squat, bench press, deadlift, overhead press, chin-ups, pull-ups should make up the bulk of your exercises.
*take some pictures of your back every 2 weeks. This way you can track progress.

Trust your diet & your workout: if you do the two things above, your back will grow.

-Mehdi.